Where were you at 6 months ?

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by bjbass1, Jul 2, 2008.

1. bjbass1

bjbass1

Feb 3, 2008
    I've been playing for 6 months now and I was just wondering where most people were at with their playing after 6 months. I was taking lessons briefly from a guitar teacher , but I'm looking for a bass teacher in the D.C. area . Also , Does it make any difference if I use a metremone or a drum track when I practice ? I find it alot more fun when I make my own drum track on my MPC and practice to that .

2. Basseroni

Basseroni

Oct 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    You know what? I really can't remember where I was at 6 months as it was over 20 years ago. I used to practice to tapes and vinyl records when I first started playing so if I had the choice between a metronome and a drum track I would choose the drum track.

My good friend, Walter Cosby, teaches bass in DC. You can reach him at http://www.myspace.com/bass2c. You can tell him that "basseroni" referred you. :)
    As far as Walter's credentials, not only is he a great bassist but he is musically educated. He has played with many artists including songstress Julie Dexter, jazz pianist Marcus Johnson, and too many others to name. He is also currently working on his on solo project.

He plays electric bass and upright.

3. Michael777

Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    General Manager: Bass Central
    The Good Thing about Music is that it definitely is a Journey thankfully and not a race. What are you measuring yourself against? and Why? Establishing a practice routine with goals in mind such as mastering a scale pattern at differing Tempos, learning a new tune a week, are both goals for example. Also getting out and interacting with other musicians helps develop many aspects of playing.These are good ways to progress.

4. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Where was I at six months?... Still wondering what the hell the little string thingies were called and trying not to play on the frets (which at the time I called "wire dealies") so everything buzzed like the bass was possessed.

5. TimMcG

TimMcG

Jul 3, 2008
    At 6 months (1988) I was listening to Beaver Felton's Superchops for Bass cassettes and trying in vain to tap in the key of "D-molished" & "E-gads."

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    6 months....taking lessons and getting fairly good at learning songs by ear and still going through the basics of reading.

Fast forward 7 years later and I've gone backwards. While I can read drum music my bass clef reading is terrible and I could definitely improve my ear. But, I haven't played very much in the last few years. I'm just now getting back into again after about 3 breaks in the last 2 years.

7. bjbass1

bjbass1

Feb 3, 2008
    Thanks everyboy for the feedback especially Basseroni for that referal . I guess I asked that cause I'm 30 and I feel like I have to make up for lost time . There's things I can hear in my head that I want to do , but I dont have the technical/ physical aspect of it yet .

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That part doesn't go away... just the things you hear get tougher :D

Get out and play with other musicians as soon as you can. It'll take your playing worlds farther along.
    At 6 mos I was playing in 2 bands. That doesn't mean I was good... Just good enough to pump roots and fifths and simple basslines in time. But I learned way more and got better faster because of playing out with folks.

9. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I think i joined my first band at around 6 months and we play simple songs.

We still play those songs, the only differense is that we figured they are not simple. :p

Btw, i've been playing for a bit more than 2 years now.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021