Where Were You on 9/11?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, May 21, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Where were you on September 11th 2001?

i still remember so clearly...

2nd period, freshman year of high school...art class...

we were talking about my friends lastest night with his girl when the principal came on the PA and said that there was bad news and the school was on lockdown...

our school has been known to over exagerate things so we thought it was no big deal...i even remember me joking "uhh...yes im sorry to tell you that the school has run out of snapple"...

nothing could prepare me for what he said next...

so what about you guys? where were you when you heard about it?

I apologize if this thread bring back bad/sad memories for some people
  2. I heard about it while I was brushing my teeth and reading my high school's bulletin board system, at around 9:50 AM. I didn't think anything of it. I went to statistics class and people were talking about it a bit, but lectures carried on as usual. The importance of it started to hit home when work was canceled that day.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The Dorm I live in is detached from the main campus seperated by a 7 minute walk on a trail. In the morning, I was walking up with two friends from my dorm. The Math teacher came biking up behind us(no biggie, happens every day) and says "guys guys! did you hear? the world trade centers were attacked, the pentagon as well"
    then he rode off, he said a little more, but he was in a hurry and it's more or less unimportant.

Walked up to breakfast, everyone I walked by had something stupid to say "the world's going to end"...etc.

a few peopel were crying.

I got my breakfast and ate quietly with my friends.
  4. Was in school.

I remember my english teacher freakin' out becuase her parents were on a trip tp NYC that day, and of course, would be arriving around that time.

Got home just after the second plane hit. Was amazing, seeing it all go down.

My uncle. He had that EXACT flight, ealier that day, or the day before, i cant remember.

Its freaky thing about it. Being so low over the city, and then just sinking into the building..
  5. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I remember being at work. I worked for a Mental Facility at the time, and one of the clients called in stating that one of the Trade Centers had been hit by a plane. I said "Ok" and went on about my business. I went and told a couple of my co-workers stating that one of the clients was halucinating again...When someone came up and told me that it was true. My father worked for the Trade centers driving the subway trains. I asked to leave, b/c I couldn't get a hold of him. As I was driving home, I heard about the plane crashing in PA. I started hypoventalating and crying really hard! It was all so close to home for me...I lived in PA and Jersey. I drove to my house, jumped on my boyfriend at the time...who was recuporating from nemonia (Sp)...and told him all about it...Long story short...I didn't hear from my father until the following day. I thank God he was ok, but my heart went out to the other families who were not so lucky....

Sad day, that will never, ever, be forgotten by me.

Sorry long post.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I was at home (day off, also I'm 6 or 7 hours ahead of you people in the US) and was surfing TB and some other sites, while watching TV (I have a TV card in my PC). I was watching TV all day and tried to get hold of any TV stream on the net I could find.

It was really surreal. I knew of some people who were working there, or at least in the neighbourhood, but it turned out that they were all ok.
  7. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I woke up during the west-coast Howard Stern re-broadcast and I was like "What the hell are they so upset about?" as I was half asleep and did not realise the full gravity of the situation. I then went out to my living room and turned on CNN. Do you know what the very first thing I saw on the screen was? The Taliban. It was already like "These are the bad guys, this is who's responsible" and that was less than 3 hours after it happenned. I then sat down and recorded five songs in a row and that took up the rest of the day.
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I was getting ready for school.

It was about 7:20, I take a shower, get dressed, that last until 7:30ish... I then go into the kitchen, pour myself some cereal, get a capri sun, I then bother to look at the T.V. a few seconds before plane number two hit.

I thought it was just two idiot pilots or something, so me and my friends were joking about it at the bus stop.

Then at school, I see that they got the pentagon... and they are running clips of the taliban.

I was in English, 3rd period when I heard about the pentagon. My reaction was "Some MoFo's are going down and are going down hard."
  9. I was in my second period math class when my teacher turned on the T.V. as he normally does before class. He put it on CNN and i stood there with him as the 2nd plane flew into the other building. It was scary to watch those horrible things happen and see all those people die on live T.V. I will never forget that moment in my life, I still remember it like it happened 5 minutes ago.
  10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    not to hijack(no pun intended, that would be just wrong) my own thread...but the US is now Alert Color Orange

11. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I was on my way to third period, I never made it. We spent the rest of the day huddled around a tiny TV with horrible reception.
  12. I was in class when it happened (roughly 2pm here).

I didn't know anything until I got home at ~4.30pm, and the phone rings. It was one of my mates telling me to put the TV on. So I did.... just in time to see the second plane hit.:(

I just sat and watched for hours.
  13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I was at home. I logged on to TB and there was a thread about a plane crashing into the WTC. I turned on the TV and shortly after that the other plane hit (as I was watching). I saw one of the towers crumble, and on my way to class I heard on my truck radio that the other tower had fallen.
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i had just gone into my music history discussion, and someone came in and said 'holy crap did you guys hear, a plane crashed in the wtc.' i said 'wow, that sucks' and went to my next class...which was cancelled for some reason. sweet ass - i went home, where i proceeded to watch the news for 3 hours, curled up in a blanket and crying.

15. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I was away at camp on an overnight field trip for 8th grade. That morning I noticed that some of the teachers and counselors looked disgruntled, but I didnt think anything of it.

We went through the rest of the day doing the activities they had planned for us, and then around 1 it was time to go back home.

When we arrived back at school to get on the buses to go home, we heard that the school was in lockdown. But, not because of 9/11. Some idiot had been dumped by his girlfriend that day and wrote "Everyone will DIE today!!" on the bathroom wall.

Anyway, I hear kids talking about planes, buildings and New York, and one kid clarified for me that the WTC had been hit by planes.

I believed it, but I didnt fully realize the seriousness until I got home and turned on the news.

That was my memory.
  16. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I was sitting in math class. When we got stirred up enough by rumors, someone turned on the radio. By the end of class there were TV's on and they were already showing scenes of the morning. It was really sad (and weird) because I thought the big news of the morning would be that Ed McCaffrey (running back for broncos) broke us leg. My math teacher was also the head football coach, that's the only reason that would've come up. I really wish that had been the big news and that nothing else had happened that day.
  17. Freshman year of highschool. I was sitting in my first classroon for Algebra 1 before the class moved to a different room. This was 2nd period. The principal announced the WTC was attacked and on fire. Later on he said that planes crashed in. Next period I had World History which has a TV. I just stared at the TV for 40 minutes with my jaw dropped. I didn't know wether to cry or be angry. Watching people jump and burn to their death was horrific....
    I watched the towers just .... fall to the ground. I can't describe the feeling but I know I will never forget it. Not only did this make me more mature in ways of thinking but also on how un-perfect this world really is. I can still picture the faces of the firefighters hugging after the collapse...

My best friends tenant that lives under them worked in the North Tower. He eventually came home during the night and left his car outside running for over 4 hours. My friends mom asked if he needed to talk and all he said is "I can't stop seeing people I actually knew jumping to their deaths and burning alive. The body parts and everything...."
  18. second period. social studies. they announced it on the PA thing to all the classes, i think. i was just like "oh. whoa."
  19. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I remember it so clearly. My mom came in and woke me up, saying that something weird had happened involving a plane crash. Even the air and the general mood in my house was different, before I even knew what happened. I turned on the TV, and saw footage of the planes hitting the building, which is when the impact of it really hit me.
    I was so preoccupied I forgot that my school started late that day, so I ended up going to school half an hour early, were I remember just talking to my friend and trying to figure out what was happening. That is a day I will not soon forget.
  20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I was on my way to register for a sales training program. The first thing I did was call my good friend in Boston (because of the one flight originating at Logan) to make sure he and his family was O.K.(Thank G-d they are) He was a former helicopter pilot in the Israeli Defence, I never heard him swear until that day.

I put out American flags in my neighborhood that I had left over from a marketing effort for the 4th of July.