Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where would i look if i wanted a.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Supernova67, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    4 or 5 string with moderitley tight string spacing, 36" scale, 24+ frets, and a humbucker in the bridge.........or at least something close to it. already did a few searches and googeled it and nothing so far.

Thanks,
    -Travis

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    36" scale? You might have to go custom for that.

3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    carl thompson???

you gotta give up a kidney or two for those, though...

whats your price range?

4. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    somewhere between $600-750....kinda depends on how much money i get for christmas........scale length can be compromised a little......i just dont like floppy strings......pretty much any claypool/ct fan can prolly guess what sound i'm goin for by what i want in the bass (or should i add a walnut body and a tremolo to the mix 2) :D

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, you can put CT out of your mind for some time now :p

I'll go ahead and start a flaming by saying that Les Claypool sounds bad.
    Yup.
    Downright bad.
    But it sounds so bad it's good.
    And it fits in with his voice, which is even worse, and his music, which is quite insane. But that's why we like it, don't we? :D

Now back on topic. I don't think 36" is what you need. Is Les's sound tight, clear, focused? Hell no. It is quite the opposite of what you'd expect when considering only the scale.

If you really want a tone like that, get a fretless, and put in some EMGs.

That's all I can say.

6. 55-02 is close to what you're looking for....

7. Thats what I was thinking. Used ones can be had in the 700 dollar range.

8. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    How about one of those Conklin GT'S used?

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You are not going to find a 36" scale bass for that price range. To get that scale length, you are going to most likely end up having one custom built. And that still isn't going to get you to sound like Les.

If you are set on wanting a long scale bass, you will find many 35" scale basses in your price range, especially used. My suggestion to you is to go and play as many basses as you can. Find out which one really suits you and your needs the best.

10. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    thanks for the suggestions........i looked up some basses a little while ago but i cant seem to find the couple things i want in the same bass......i want tight strings with preferabley 24 or more frets cuz i do alot of crazy solo stuff. i playes an esp 30th annaversery edition and that's got a 35" scale and 24 frets and emg 35 DC's but the only reason i considred it was because it fit nicley (i have big hands).maybe it was the new strings or something but i messed with all the eq and it still just ended up sounding kinda cold and empty. And finding a 55-02 out here in the sticks is gunna be next to impossibe. if ya got any sound clips i might be able to hit up ebay later tho.