Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where would this take me?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by popinfresh, Feb 22, 2006.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, i'm in my final year of high school and thinking about things to do when i've finished.

I'm pretty keen on a Audio Tech course at university/TAFE (A more practical kind of Uni i spose..) and was just wondering where I could go with that. It says it covers things such as mixing, producing, live and theatre sound etc.

So i'm just wondering if anyone on here has done a similar sort of course anywhere, or has a job in this area? If so, what sort of pay are you getting? Where are you working? etc etc.

Just wondering if it'd be a good choice. And if I do it at TAFE I can do Filmscore as a side study, which i'd love to do.

Thanks, Shane.

2. I studied for a while at SAE college, which is the more expensive course of what you're looking at doing. You can go anywhere from live sound, pre recorded hold messages for phone, TV sound, Film sound, engineering, mastering, radio.

Once your qualified, assuming youve gone into the music industry and not just radio or something, starting rates pretty much $50 per hour. Which is good. I spoke to some of my lecturers, and they wouldnt go out to someones house to install, fix, etc some ones studio/audio gear (which is another job u can get into) for less than $50 an hour. And once you keep moving up, so does your pay. Although, its pretty hard to get somewhere in the music industry. But theres plenty of live sound work and such all over the place.

Peace

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ahh, cool. So are you still doing the course at the moment? Is that pretty much the same course I meant at TAFE, but at the Uni's? Cos melbourne/victorian/monash uni's all seem to run that one course..

Also, what would the film sound aspect involve? Sounds good to me as i'd hopefully be gigging etc some nights then setting up studio's/mixing other days and then perhaps live sound one night a week or something.

Dream thing that me and a few mates and even our teacher have is to start up a theatre company together. So i'm hoping if something like that happened, the course would help with the technical aspect of it.

Cheers.

4. I actually dropped out. Was too intense for me to complete, as its only a one year course. However, i did leanr a sh*tload of stuff in that time, and got some good practical work in too.

Is the course your going to be doing the Cert II? If so, thats sort of only the stepping stone course, which will help you grasp ideas of what to do and how things work. This was the first few months of our course.

From there, you have the Cert IV in audio engineering. This is where the fun begins. Your assingments include recording full bands, mastering, mixing, film sound, etc. Its great fun too.

Anything to do with sound in film, you can do. You will also have a live sound prac too. Which is great if your gigging. They basically hire out a hall or a footy club, then get people from your class to bring their instruments, because obviously most will be musos. Then you go through, set up all the PA, learn how to tune it, etc.

I also got tired of being poor. It was stressful for me, because we were only in class for a couple of hours a day for lectures. All the rest is you booking studio time and working. with only a few workstations, and alot of students, it was hard to get time. Juggling this with crappy part time student work was too much, and now im just earning alot doing labouring work. I will however, in a year or two's time, go to TAFE and re-do the course. I will have learnt most of the stuff, and it will be more prac work for me, and i'll get my qualifications.

I really recomend doing it. But you gotta commit man. I'm not sure what the work is like at TAFE, but SAE was intense. And also, im not sure on how great the equipment/how much equipment they have.

By the way, over here, the Uni's don't run this course. I know they do some form of sound, but nothing like this. SAE is a private college, but is pretty much one of the leading audio schools in the world. Centres everywhere in the world. Do a quick google search and check them out. They often have open nights through-out the year, so you can go in and check out the massive 24 track studios with heaps of rack gear and such. Its pretty awsome.

Peace

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah that sounds good, just what I wanna do really.

This is the TAFE course here at Box Hill, it's a Bachelor.. http://www.bhtafe.edu.au/Courses/BAM95.htm
    I don't know if that's the same?

Aparently a few VCA teachers/lecturers are leaving to come work at Box Hill because of it's more hands on approach.

My bandmate has started doing composition this year and said the studio's and such are all top of line sort of gear. They update everything to the newest and best ASAP.

Otherwise the Uni's seem to run a very similar course, though it could be different.

EDIT: By the way. Would you recomend involving myself in any other programs/productions/shows etc etc to get to a certain level before the course? Or learning any specific areas in detail? Or does something like this usually take it from the basics/start?

Cheers.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "By the way. Would you recomend involving myself in any other programs/productions/shows etc etc to get to a certain level before the course? Or learning any specific areas in detail? Or does something like this usually take it from the basics/start?"

Find a band you know that is jamming/playing out whatever and offer to help set up. Get to know the p.a., mixing board,
    monitors, speakers set up. It's really not brain surgery and a decent soundman would be more than happy to have the help and show you some ropes. I have met many professional sound techs and none of the them had the cash to follow the courses. They learned on the road.

7. +1

Depends on what area you are most interested in. IMO, figure out what you want to do, and then start working your way to it NOW. There are so many areas to work in as an engineer.

If you want to learn about live sound, go down to the pubs at gigs, talk to the soundmen and bands. Or, if you know of a gigging band, ask if you can help them out with PA work and gear. If you really want to get into it, be prepared to go awhile not getting paid. Volunteer yourself to get as much prac work as you can.

I justr checked out that page. And it seems to be the same kind of stuff i was doing. Just a longer, and probably more thorough course. Looks VERY good.

See if you can get some PC recording gear too. Namely ProTools, Cubase, and Reason. Just mess around and learn to use them.

8. Gronk

Gronk

Dec 14, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Check out JMC Academy. They are up there with SAE. I was nearly going to enroll at TAFE as I've alread got Certificate II, then I considered JMC. Only things stopping me were the distance I would have to drive to get there, and wanting to travel overseas. However once I've finished doing my own thing, I might take it up.

9. yeah... so i heard that these jobs sound great untill you have them... once you get the degree, its hard to find work, and so forth and so on...

or maybe that was another tech posisiton haveing to do with music....

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, I was thinking about JMC. Pretty expensive though isn't it?

I set up the PA/Mixer etc for bands playing at school with a friend then we do soundmen duties. Also do lights and other tech work for school productions/shows and such.. So I know the basic way around everything, no expert though. I'm not too good with recording programs and that. I can record/mess around a bit with midi's etc, but still not too crash hot at it. We've got a studio at school though, so i'll try spend as much time in there as possible.

Bassman - I figured there's more chance getting a music related job out of a course like this, rather than doing a performance/composition course.. surely there must be plenty of live music to get into at least? This seems to be a pretty broad course.

Thanks for the help so far everyone. Really good getting some feedback and helps set things a bit straighter talking to people who know what they're on about, rather than careers teachers at school who wouldn't have a clue..

Cheers!

11. Gronk

Gronk

Dec 14, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Yea, JMC is fairly expensive. But from what I've heard, it's worth it. After reading this thread actually I got motivated to check it out again. Thinking I might go to the next orientation day, see what I think.

Although 6 years for a Bachelor's doesn't really appeal to me . . .

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    6 years? I suppose that's part time.. why not do a full time course?

I'm gonna go have a look in there in the next couple weeks (it's open all week for tours) and then go to the next orientation day.

I'll also do the same for Box Hill and see what I think after that I suppose..

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bump..

Just interested in some feedback. I've being looking at all sorts of courses etc and would like any help on which might be the best one.
    I would idealy like to do producing or audio for films, hence looking at the Audio Tech courses to start with. This would also let me do live music and recording studio's/mixing etc as well.

However, i'm also interesting in theatre (both light and sound) and was just wondering if I should maybe consider an Audio Visual Tech course as well?

I'm not really sure, but any help from someone in the business/doing similar courses would be cool.

Also, if I was to do audio (say recording for TV/film or mixing/producing in a studio or even theatre sound/lighting) does anyone know what sort of salary i'd be on (roughly), if any?