1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where would you put the 4th knob?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by edwinhurwitz, Jan 17, 2013.

1. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    I want to install an EMG BQC in this bass but I'm a little stymied by where to put the 4th control. Part of me is just thinking that I'll just plug up the hole closest to the neck and drill two holes that follow a more typical Modulus trajectory. Or maybe try to do it in a diamond configuration.

Attached Files:

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I'd go with a diamond.

3. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Diamond

4. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah, the more I look at it, the more that seems like the best configuration. Keep the volume where it is, the knob closest to the strings would be the pan, the one closest to the edge would be the mids and the one closest to the bottom edge would be the bass/treble. That's the problem with the TBX's. Once you drill, you drill and that's it! I didn't have so much of a problem going at my Q6, because it was a replacement body in the first place and it's all about the neck.

Thanks so much for chiming in!

5. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Use a stacked knob.

6. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    There will already be 2 stacked knobs and I haven't found a stacked volume/blend that will work. If anyone knows of any, please let me know.

7. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Put it above the neck pocket near the upper horn. Kinda in the Les Paul PU switch location.

8. HomesickBob

HomesickBob Do da Boogie! ;-) Inactive

Jan 15, 2013
    Basel, Switzerland
    Diamond!

9. jbrooks

jbrooks

Sep 7, 2007
    I second that.

(Edit)

I went to EMG website to see what you were talking about. Now I understand the fourth knob. I see your dilemma. I would be hesitant to add an additional knob too. It will upset the aesthetics of this nice bass

Contact EMG and see if there is a possibility of combining the volume and balance on a stacked pot. I found them to be very helpful when I had an issue. They might be helpful and and diagram out how to wire a concentric pot to do so.

Here's a source for obscure pots. I order a replacement for stacked push pull pot for my EMG dual mode pickup. They might have a suggestion what to do.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/

Good luck.

Maybe this is something they might consider if there is a market for it.

10. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Such pots exist, and they're generally expensive. A friend of mine needed one for his own bass, and I can check with him how much he paid for his own.

11. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    I had a conversation with Rick at EMG and he said that he has never seen the proper configuration of what I'm looking for. MEC seems to have one, but it's in the 250-500k range rather than in the 25k range. For right now, when the preamp shows up, I think I'm going to omit the volume knob and use a volume pedal until I get a better sense of what I want to do.

Thanks to all who chimed in. Certainly more ideas are welcome!

12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Can you go with stacked volume/volume instead of volume/blend? I know it's not really the same, but it might work for you.

13. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    I suppose I could but I really hate messing with two volumes. At this point I have the volume control off the bass and in a pedal. It works OK.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021