1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where you "drafted" to play bass or enlist ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ghook, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    This might have been done before, or many times. I'm sure I will find out once I post it.

I was drafted. After many years I have come back after realizing what a comfortable instrument bass is for me compared to a six string. Having decided to refocus on bass I find it interesting how quickly my ears have begun to separate the bass lines in the mix. Another advantage is I can clearly hear a bass , it sits well in my limited hearing range.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    3 guitar players show up to first rehearsal. I'm about 12 y.o., and the least experienced. Guess what?

Never looked back.

I did keep strumming the 6 string. Helps out a bit when talking to guitar players or following chord progressions. :thumbsup:

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i was drafted into playing for a one-off session. my friend's old band came to l.a. and wanted to jam with him for old time's sake. they had a bass and a bass amp but no bass player, and i had been playing guitar with my friend in a project. i was leaving the studio when he begged and cajoled me into staying to play bass with them.

within about a minute, i knew this was what i wanted to play and offered to buy the band's bass :D

the next day, my friend told mutual friends who were starting a band and didn't have a bass player that i played bass with him and it worked out well, so they hit me up to join them. it's been a great ride :)

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Both.

I enlisted in jazz band at my high school.

About 20 minutes later (figuratively speaking) I was drafted to go out and "fill-in" with a band. The drummer had grown up with my mother. All members were in their 30s and I was a teenager. That "fill-in" weekend turned into a 2 1/2 year education on how to play bass, how to sing backups, how to sing lead, how to be a member of a band, and how to be a grown man.

5. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I was about the same age. The first guitar I used for bass was a Harmony Statatone H-48 with the B and E string removed .It had a bass circut and I plugged into my best friends Silvertone twin 12

EatS1stBassist and Stumbo like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Cool! I had the same amp. I have picture with it at rehearsal somewhere.

My first "bass" was a no-name Strat type K-Mart special thing. Did the same thing with the strings. I recut the nut and repainted it metallic blue. My dad was handy so we always had access to tools, whether we knew what we were doing or not.

Fun times.

I met up with the lead guitar player a few years ago and jammed with his band at a backline studio rental. Lotsa fun!:thumbsup:

EatS1stBassist and BurnOut like this.
  7. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US

Stumbo likes this.
  8. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis

Enlisted all the way. It’s what needed to be done so I figured out how to do it and did it.

9. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    It was a really great time. When I modded that Harmony by merely removing two strings my mom thought I broke it. They bought it for me brand new for Christmas, it was actually a replacement for a Sears case amp/guitar (Silvertone) that never turned on Christmas morning. If there are any photos around I imagine my ex or daughter has them, if they haven't faded to blank, we are talking 50 years ago lol

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  10. fretlessbass

fretlessbass Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I was seduced, plain and simple: I heard the bass's siren song, and left my guitar gig behind....I know it was wrong, but it felt so right....still does...haven't played a guitar gig in over 30 years!

scuzzy, pcake, EatS1stBassist and 2 others like this.
  11. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I fell in love with bass the first time I saw a jazz combo playing, when I was very young, and begged for a bass. My stepfather was a pro jazz musician and thought I should learn to play guitar first (his dad was a pro jazz guitarist, so I think he was biased lol). So I started on classical guitar, then electric, and finally took up bass on my own after five years. Since then, though I still pick up a guitar from time to time, I've really focused on bass. It was what I first fell in musical love with, after all (well, other than voice and flute).

EatS1stBassist, SpruceApple and Ghook like this.
  12. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I volunteered.

Ghook likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I enlisted. I could play guitar and drums already and tried to play keyboards but wasn't so great at them, but I always found myself attracted to bass lines, and when an older friend of mine told me, "Drummers are a dime a dozen and guitarists are worth only slightly more, but a good keyboard player or bassist can always find a gig," I talked my parents into buying me a bass, and it stuck. And it turns out my friend was right.

scuzzy, pjbassist, levis76 and 8 others like this.
  14. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    I always wanted to play something and my buddy game me a guitar to play around on in college. I left it in the case and didn't really care for it. then shortly after I gave that thing back I went with him to get an amp at sam ash. I was so freaking musically illiterate I didn't even realize a bass was a separate instrument at 21 years old! well I touched one by accident and it was as if the skies opened up and the Lord shone down on me commanding me to by it. I just didn't have that kind of scratch on me so my buddy bought it and I wrote him a check when I got home and never put the thing down. going on 20 years and hundred of gigs. so neither enlisted or drafted. I was COMMANDED!!!!

jackn1202, pjbassist, Kruzof and 5 others like this.
  15. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Never ever played another instrument.

Forever and only bass.

16. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I was the best guitarist in a band, and I quit to start a band with two guitarists better than me so I could play bass. Never looked back.

scuzzy, deernaes, saabfender and 3 others like this.
  17. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I was drafted. I played rhythm guitar in a band that had no bassist, but was looking. The lead guitarist was the bassist in a second band. I asked if I could play his bass one practice when the drummer didn’t show up, and was terrible. But I think everyone valued having a bassist (bird in hand) over a rhytm guitarist (Jimmy’s dime a dozen - and he’s right btw..)... I got more passable and also, somewhere in the process realized that most of my favorite tunes had a strong front and center bass component to the composition. So, drafted yes, but had I not been, I may have never realized that I was wired for bass. I barely play guitar now and miss it not at all.

18. Where were you drafted?

mcarp555 likes this.
  19. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Drafted for the tuba (trumpet player) in High School. Realized then that the lower register was for me. Learned guitar, drums, and keys later.

20. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    I was around 14 and some high school guys were putting a band together. It wasn't exactly a tryout, but three or four of us who played guitar showed up to jam. Long story short, the bass player was absolutely terrible but it was a good time. A few days later, I was asked to join but kind of expressed my concern about the guy on bass and asked if we could maybe get somebody else. Well, they didn't know anybody else so I said I'd do it figuring that I was pretty easy to replace on rhythm guitar. I went and bought a black Hondo All-Star and a Peavey amp knowing that fame, fortune and women would soon be mine.