1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where you get metal parts finished?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by erikbojerik, Oct 7, 2009.

1. I have some bridge ideas I'm going to try out, and if they work out I want to find a place to have them finished (chrome, gold, black, satin chrome/gold, cosmo black, etc).

For you guys that crank out your own metal parts, where do you have this done?

Is powder coating the standard way of doing this now? Or electroplating? Other ways?

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Most cities have Chrome plating shops. Try to find a shop that does small work and high quality plating. Most shops offer polished chrome, satin chrome, nickel, black chrome, copper and gold plating. I think powder coating is not hard enough and it may be too thick. If you are in a remote area, go online and find shops that do automotive restoration work. They are equippped to do small obects like names and emblems from very expensive cars.

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Lakewood Industries...good quality powder coating systems and plating systems at very inexpensive prices. Much more cost effective than to have test pieces done by plating or coating shops. Check em out online.

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Just be careful. About 5 years ago I got a custom bridge made; the builder sent it to the platers who promptly lost it and all the little pieces and forgot about the order. The bridge was gone and I could never get another one made. :bawl:

Make sure you go with somebody who regularly works with small parts.

5. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    On the parts I've built I used enamel to coat them.

Powder coating is the way to go. You can get a kit cheap these days. Since you’re doing small parts you could probably get by with a small oven for the curing process. If I recall correct the powder has to be 400-450 degrees for 20 minutes or so, you may also want to check if the material your using will be ok with that heat.

6. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004

Try Paul's Chrome in Evan's City, PA.......They are just up the road from me and enjoy a very good reputation in the custom car field........It would be worth a phone call at the very least.

http://www.paulschrome.com/

Hope this helps,
    Greg

7. Well I've been doing a little homework, and it seems that powdercoating is a bit thick for small parts like bridge saddles, tuners, etc.

I think metal plating is more the way to go - I actually found 3 places just down the road from me, so I'll check that out.

thanks gents

8. Hi Erik, give Jason over at Hipshot a call. I'm pretty sure he can hook you up.