Where ????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by j3b3r, Dec 6, 2000.

1. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I'm building a bass rite now and I really confused about where to put the pickup in the bass.
    Becoz of the limited budget, I only use one EMG40cs and 2 bands emg preamp.The pickup is dualcoil...
    and there's a chance to buy another pickup in the future.
    but the big problem is where to put this first pickup ???

I'm gonna do lots of slaps on this bass and I was thinkin about locating the pickup just like in the musicman stingray bass. But the problem is I don't know exactly the mesurement (how many inch away from the bridge) since I dont have and never get my hands on one. So anyone can help me to find out the exact location of a MM pickup in MM stingray bass ??

Or anyone have tips or suggestion about where to put this pickup ???
    it's a 5 string bass and 34" scale

2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Stingray measures 5 3/4" from the neck side edge of the pickup to the bridge. By bridge, I mean where the string locks, not the saddle. I hope I used the right terminology.
  3. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Thanks snyderz

but it's gonna hard to find out the perfect mesurement since every bridge has different size and i'm not using stingrey bridge.

but if you mesure the distance between the pickup and the G saddle or E saddle would be more easy to find out the right mesurement :)
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    another thing would be to measure the distance from the nut to the center of the first coil's pole pieces - this would be much easier to make consistent, since any measurement from the bridge would be dependant on whether the instrument was properly intonated.

also, remember, there is not really that big a deal between even +/- 1/4" in position in this instance - i wouldn't get _TOO_ worried about it - after all there is no _perfect_ position, the whole concept of a "sweet-spot" is just hype - the pickup's position with respect to the string and it's harmonic series changes with every note that you play.