Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where'd my bass go?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nunk6, Aug 29, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    hey man i need an overdrive with a cruncy(not metallic) and growling BASS ovderdrive.
    usually overdrive turn out to be true distortion rather than a growl
    is a tube overdrive what i'm looking for?

2. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I've experimented with all-tube overdrive pedals in the past(Chandler Tube Driver). They sucked my low end out and sounded more distorted than overdriven. Try out the Sansamp Bass DI or if you want more bite, try the Bass Balls or Pro Co Rat.

3. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I think doug meant the big muff not the bass balls. The bass balls is an envelope follower that has the ability to have distortion on it. The distortion really isn't usable as a distortion pedal but more a weird effect pedal. I have a big muff and a proco rat and am still w/ the big muff. That was the first one i bought and have tried others but always went back to it.

4. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I've always loved the danelectro fab tone. Kinda like a big muff, onlt more distorted and crunchier

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If you can find one at a store, try out a Tech 21 ACOUSTIC DI. The mic/spkr emulator circuit is the same as the one in the Bass DI but is controlled by the MIDRANGE knob and leaves your low end relatively unaffected. I love mine. Certainly something to consider.