Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where's a good workshop going on?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by mike_odonovan, Oct 4, 2003.

1. hey guys i just got told i have some money from my university course to use for some lessons and was wondering maybe if I could use the money to go to a workshop of maybe Rabbath's or someone else you recommend. i live in London but would be prepared to travel just about anyware if i thought it was worth it. any ideas?
    also how do you contact Rabbath as he seems to not have his own website yet?

not sure if this is in the right place, feel free to move

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I am more a fan than an orchestral DB player - but I do know London and work near two places that are close together and might be a good starting point.

So - the London Guildhall school of music is near the Barbican and might be a good place to enquire

http://www.gsmd.ac.uk/

- also the Barbican music shop on the corner opposite the entrance to the Barbican has loads of ads and stuff about courses - it is my reliable source for copies of "Double Bassist" magazine!! :)

3. "how do you contact Rabbath as he seems to not have his own website yet?" Rabbath usually gives workshops around the world in the spring and summer. Last summer, he gave one at the Menuhin School of Music in London. He has a website that announces the workshops, which is www.francoisrabbath.com.

4. Bruce Lindfield

I've heard of that school - my first ever music teacher had links and I remember somebody from my school going there. But I always thought it was in the middle of the countryside - I'm sure I've seen documentaries of child prodigies in a big house in the middle of nowhere - not in the urban sprawl of London!! ;)

5. Aren

Aren

Jul 18, 2003
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    That school wouldnt happen to have anything to do with Lord Yehudi Menuhin, would it? Just curious.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Of course - when I was at school he was involved in the running of it! But the more I think about it, the more I am sure it's not in London! ;)

I also seem to remember that it was a private residential "hothouse" - for very young string prodigies. So - it was for school age children to enable them to do as much music study as was needed for a career as a violin soloist, for example - while still doing enough normal school classes to satisfy the authorities.