Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where's Beaver Felton?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tread, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Tread

Tread

Jan 1, 2005
    Hi folks...this is my 1st post here and hope this question is not in the wrong forum....anyway I'm a guitar player....been playin since 1975
    and in the early 80's while playin in several bands my bass player introduced me to ****** "Beaver" Felton and we became good friends..
    and sat in with each others bands whenever we were playin in the same towns in the southern U.S. and would often jam together during the day before our night gigs. I think he was playin with a band called "camerra" then (this was before his accident) awsume bass player........this was when finger taps ruled and we would exchange riffs.....(the 1st time I met him he had a black eye from being caught with some guys girl friend) anyway we used to trade riffs and he would ask me why I chose this or that riff(fingertapping) and I would say "well
    either to arppegiate or to get from one place to another" which would always make him smile, anyway the last time I saw him was in Augusta
    Ga. we were jamming together during the day at a motel/rental place
    before our night gigs and he played the tape(actually in person as well)
    he was sending to GP mag to be in the spotlight column to be considered(which he won) and I talked to him on the phone once or twice in the 80s since then but lost track, anyone heard from him?
    tell him Todd says HEY get in touch......thanks :)

2. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    He owns a mega Bass only store in central Florida somewhere.

Go to the store website at http://basscentral.com and I'm sure you can get the contact info from there.

3. Tread

Tread

Jan 1, 2005
    thank you kindly sir :) best of the new year to you!

4. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Your kindly Welcome Sir :)

Have a Happy New Year! :D

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    talkbass's own user gard is an employee there - he can hook you up with beaver if you like. send him a pm.

6. Tread

Tread

Jan 1, 2005
    thanks!........and happy new year :)

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Beaver's a great guy, I hope you two can meet up again soon. I bought some gear from his store in the past and he always treated me like I was some kind of 'big name' player, which I'm not. With one of my purchases, he included one of his instructional videos at no cost. He stuck a post-it note on it saying: "Here's some stupid bass tricks on tape". The stuff he outlined on his video was inspiring (and anything but stupid!) and I've learned some ways to adapt some of his techniques to my own playing.

We hit it off pretty good over the phone; we're both big Chris Squire fans. I sent him Squire's "A Fish Out of Water" on CD to show my appreciation for all that he did for me. The biggest thing I admire about him is he had the strength and courage to continue on after his terrible accident. I don't think I could've been so strong if the same thing happened to me.

He's a class act, -Art

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

not too many people know 'the beav's' real first name ;) my first chief (i'm in the navy) wrestled with him in high school...it was pretty cool to see some of his high school pictures...hee hee...check with bass central in florida...he's still one of the coolest guys around

9. Tread

Tread

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks for everything guys......looking forward to talking to him again,
    and yea your right Art he always was a GREAT guy, very humble and a
    little shy.....glad to hear he hasn't changed at all.
    Again.....a great big THANKS TO YOU ALL! :D
    although I may get ribbed for using his real 1st name.....I think I'll delete or edit that :oops:
    Neptune could you do so also?, he may not want everyone to know. :oops:
    again Thanks all!
    Thanks Nep. :D

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Beaver is co-owner of Bass Central near Orlando.

Beaver is really cool. I got the chance to meet him once when I spent the day at BC with Gard.

He was very personable and encouraging me to play the stuff they had on their walls knowing full well I had no money or any plans on buying anything there in the near future.

He even gave me a cool Bass Central shirt and ball cap. Very cool fella!