Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where's Jaco?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ichi9, Oct 5, 2000.

1. Ichi9

Ichi9

Jun 7, 2000
    Hello,

I am wondering if there is anyone who knows where I can get any video footage of Jaco performing. I have some of his CD's and listen to them all the time. I just wish I could see what his whole vibe was about. If anyone has info it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ichi9.

2. Hello,
    There's an instructional video called "Modern Electric Bass" that Jaco is in. He's interviewed by Jerry Jemmott. I see it in stores all the time but I still haven't been able to pay $50 for it! I'm sure someone else can provide more details.
    funkyc

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMO-
    The *best* Jaco LIVE footage is found on the Joni Mitchell SHADOWS & LIGHT concert. It's FINALLY been re-issued(I picked it up from http://www.audiophileimports.com
    ...I have also seen it on e-bay.

Jaco's instructional video w/ Jemmott has "moments"...generally, IMO, it's sad to watch.
    I also have another VHS tape of Jaco LIVE IN MONTREAL; again, not as good as the Joni concert.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Grrr...I would really like to get that video, but they don't offer the option of a format that will run on Video players in Europe :mad:

I think that if you know the whole Jaco story, then watching the instructional video is sad; but I think if you are looking for something that helps you understand what he was actually doing, then this might be a better buy.

I have the Shadows & Light CD and the playing is very impressive, but might be more daunting than helpful. Whereas on the instructional video Jerry Jemmott makes sure that every technique is explained and you get some transcriptions as well. I think you get some useful insights - like seeing Jaco set up his bass and how he approaches things and the camera is very clear on his hands throughout - no trouble seeing what he's doing. The jam at the end is defintely worth having as well!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    The Joni concert is also available on DVD...here's the problem, though. I think it's a "Region 2" disc, meaning it's Japanese. A decent DVD player(here in the US, anyway)will be able to play the various "Regions"(so I've been told).
    My DVD player came with my computer...as I dug around, I found a way to make my DVD play Region 2 discs. Problem: I can only change Regions up to 5 times. I ain't ready for that!
    Hopefully, the players will continue to fall in price & the copyright issues settled(that accounts for the various Regions)...DVD is the way to go, especially on a decent concert as this!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They make sure that we can't get players that will play DVDs for different regions - presumably as they are so much cheaper in the US than us that nobody would buy any in the shops over here!

Actually, I have heard the official reason on a UK consumer programme, where the distributors said it was to do with release dates of films. In the US you get films released about a year before us, so by the time you get it on DVD it is just getting into the cinemas over here - people flew to the US, just to see the last Star Wars film! - so if we could get the DVDs from the US, nobody would go to the cinema at all.

7. MAN! I forgot about that Shadows and Light video! I saw it a couple of years ago--Jaco with Pat Metheney, Michael Brecker, the Persuasions, etc. Jaco does the looping delay/distortion solo that I think is only available on the video (not the audio CD). Thanks for reminding me.
    funkyc

8. Skip

Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY
    Most DVD players will only play disks from one region (computers may vary). However, I've been told by my friends in the UK that most stores there offer to bypass that "feature" of the player for a small fee (I think my friend paid 25 pounds). This voids the warrantee but is not illegal in most places (you own the player after all). Why is this so popular in the UK? Because they get titles much later than we do in the US and they are charged more (same with cds). But Amazon and other web retailers have made location more irrelavent than ever. With a DVD costing twice the web price at a local store, the cost to modify the player is paid for by the second purchase.