Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where's Jamaaladeen Tacuma???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass of Galt, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Hey all - I used to have an album (that's right - album) of a African bassist named Jamaaladeen Tucma.

The front cover had a pitcure of him in some very Rick James looking clothing and he was holding a Steinberger Bass - the whole thing was very 80's looking. But the music was pretty cool - kinda avant jazz/funk/ world vibe.

The album was lost and I had forgoten about him until the other day. I did a Google on him and nothing comes up.

Anyone here know who I'm talking about and still have this recording?

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    funny...He's in Philly...He is a wonderful person and a great bassist. Albums of his that you should get are "Dreamscape", "Brotherzone" , and one he did with Derek Bailey.

One of the nicest kats that I know...

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Jamaaladeen Tacuma one of the most original voices on electric Bass.Some more work of his that's interesting are the recordings he's done with Ornette Coleman and Prime Time and Guitarist James Blood Ulmer.I speak with him very often,we last spoke a couple of months ago(he was leaving for Korea the next day)
    I recorded with him and drummer Calvin Weston last year for one of my CD projects.he is not African but African American and He's a Muslum.

Hey Don how are things going?

4. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a couple of his CD's. Email me your mailing address and I'll send you the cd's.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rudy McDaniel outta Philly, right?

...couple years back, Tacuma was on James Carter's Layin' In The Cut.
    I'm pretty sure I have at least 2 of his solo discs from the '80s.
    (One being Renaissance Man, IIRC).

6. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    I had the last name wrong -that's why I couldnt find anything on him.

The album I had in the late 80's was Show Stopper - I found most of CD's are available used on Amazon. Gonna buy'em up!

Thanks again!

--jeff

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Yes it's his birth given name before he converted to Islam.

8. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    The album with Derek Bailey is called "Mirakle"

http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/rec/ps/efi/labels/avantzad/tzad7603.html

Amazing music!!! Jamaaladeen Tacuma does some amazing stuff with effects on here. Two masters of harmolodics (sp? - and I'm talking about Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Calvin Weston on drums) with a modern master of improvisation - not to be missed!!!

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...sounds happenin' to me!
    Add Evan Parker to that line-up & do not play in any structure subject to melting down!
    ;)

10. I'm almost exclusively interested in upright bass. But I find myself constantly returning to Jamaaladeen. Even to the point of considering buying an electric -- he's That Much of an Inspiration.
    I give thanks for this guy!

I can only laugh when people (usually magazine side-bar writers) suggest his lack of technique. IMO, he's a talent deserving entire books about his contributions. He's huge, and apparently way ahead of the times.

Writers: He's a musician, and whatever he does to get those sounds and create those lines is incidental. Learn to actually Play an instrument and Create Music before spending time tacking words onto the experience.

11. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Wow. That should be inscribed in granite and erected as a monument.
    That's definitely going to be entered into my book of memorable quotes!
    ( yes, I do keep one. ) I wish more people would remember that before they open their yaps !

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i am writing a composition for the basso neauvo quartet at the request of jamaal...

13. ... and ???

do you have time to elaborate?

for performance? for a recording project? all electric bass? touring?

would love to hear from anyone who's played with Jamaal' ...
    peace.

14. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    This thread inspired me to dig out a CD I never really listened to.

It's titled as" Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Cornell Rochester meet the podium 3 live in Koln"

Listening to it now! Very nice drums and bass!!
    Not so sure about the german guys though...gotta find more from these cats!

I heard Tacuma in Molde in Norway when I was about 15 or 16 with Ornette.
    At the time I was only into fusion stuff like the funk band of Scofield (they also played the festival. awesome!) so I didn't quite get the kind of chaotic'ness of Ornette's music.

However, I have grown to like his older recordings, and the CD's I have of Don Cherry who also played that concert (what a lineup eh?)!!

Are there any recommendable recordings of Ornette with mr Tacuma?
    What are the most interesting solo records?
    I'm not really into slick fusion these days, but someone mentioned his harmolodic approach, and that's more my mettle..

Thanks,

Frode

15. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    "Tales of Captain Black" by James Blood Ulmer has Ornette on it. I think it's out of print though.

16. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I am also a big fan of his. and I would highly recommend albums he made with burhan ocal who is a percussionist. together they move mountains.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Try to find some of the Music Revelation Ensemble discs; the early ones have

Tacuma on bass with Ronald Shannon Jackson(IIRC).
    The later ones have Cornell Rochester or Grant Calvin Weston with Amin Ali(Rahied's kid) on bass. Either way...it's Ornette-inspired Harmolodics.
    Rochester is like a freight train on MRE's ...In the Name Of.

...theres' Dancing In Your Head & it's sister recording Body Meta.

18. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    I found this in a record store here in Oslo the other day!
    Fantastic record! Totally wild harmolodic stuff. Simple melodies on chaotic rythm section mayhem, short solos, and therefore short tunes. Around the 4 minute mark more or less.
    That's why it works so well!

too often freebag tunes on records are way too long! This is perfect! I'm listening to it in my car! People on the sidewalk probably think I'm crazy though.....

Recommended CD, but not for the faint of heart!

Frode

19. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    If any o y'all want a copy of a live double-trio disc that I'm putting together (still a work in progress) lemme know.

It's two bass players (me and Jamaal), two drummers (Calvin Weston and Tony Catastrophe) and two gidders (Rick Iannacone and Jeff Monjack).

I'm trying to wrangle the content right now. The recording is made up of improvisations to film scores (B movies, etc.) so it's very wacky. I have some rough mixes kicking around the house if anybody wants em.

20. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    I would like one!!
    How can I get my ears on 'em??

Thanks,

Frode Berg