1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where's Jamaaladeen Tacuma???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bass of Galt, Apr 6, 2004.

1. adje

adje

Feb 3, 2004
    Podium 3 - that's three Dutch guys, not Germans: Paul van Kemenade on altosax, Wolter Wierbos on trombone and Jan Kuiper on guitar. A hardjazz/hardfunk crossover, excellent musicians all round.

2. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    Thanks for clearing that up!

I just presumed they were german as it was live in Germany, and I thought their names could be german names...
    Oh well, ignorance....sorry about that!

Great record though! Listened some more to it! Great sax playing!!

3. adje

adje

Feb 3, 2004
    Ah, what's in a name?

Paul van Kemenade is a great altosax player: very lyrical but can also freak out with the best of them. Don't underestimate Wolter Wierbos on trombone - perhaps you should listen to another trombone player first, then A/B them, he's such a virtuoso.

Jamaladeen and Cornell Rochester spice things up for them in a big way here - the Podium 3 usually play 'a capella'. The CD has two high-energy tracks in a "Thelonious Monk meets early Defunkt" kind of style (well, Defunkt used to know their Monk anyway) then a nice ballad and a African high-life piece to round off.

You can hear new details of how the player interacted every time you listen to it - awesome stuff.

I also heard there would be a studio recording of them all - anyone know anything about that?

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Jamaal is one of the nicest (and most talented) cats around. I got to know him in the 80's when he was touring with Ornette and his own band. His playing style is only exceeded by his down-to-earth humanity and personality. A number 1 person, great bassist.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Very True.one of the most beautiful Beings I have ever come into contact with.

on a personal note
    I spent most of my 20's in Prison,I met Jamaaladeen before I went in and thru out my Incarceration we stayed in touch thru mail and my collect calls and to this day we are constanly in touch and we recently talked about a serious tour together.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool. Please pass along my regards (Carl in Oceanside). I handled some west coast Ornette dates in the late eighties and had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with Jamaal some but haven't seen him since. You might remind him I gave him that reddish picture he has hanging in his studio that I took in a San Diego club.

7. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Bass Of Gault

'Groove 2000' and 'Boss of the Bass' are great albums.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Only if you like slick, top 40 and hip hoppy beats. These albums are really not his best...

9. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    'Boss of the Bass 'is very 80's but I love the Jazz, hip hop grooves in 'Groove 2000'

10. herpes

herpes

Jan 20, 2006
    Austria (tyrol)
    jamal is cool - i think you've got the *dreamscape* cd.

- one of the reasons i started to play bass

11. burk48237

burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

Layin in the cut is a killer Funk disk, Similar to RH Factor with more drive, GREAT STUFF. I always loved his work with Ornette and his solo stuff although I was never a huge Ornette fan.

12. herpes

herpes

Jan 20, 2006
    Austria (tyrol)
    layin' in the cut rules!!!

13. One of my first real "bass heroes". I got some feedback from a guy who is trying to book my duo project and he said "you remind me of Jamaladeen" and I almost cried. I guess all of that listening really did rub off...

And yes, "Tales of Captian Black" restored my faith in music at one time and Ulmer has a special place with me for that reason. I still have the vinyl LP, but never saw it on CD. I am going to have to have another vunyl dubbing session soon.

14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005