Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wheres my Bass Player mag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chump stain, Mar 1, 2002.

1. is anyone else's issue showed up yet? the last one I got was the one with Dirk Lance on the cover, and that was almost 2 months ago.
    these guys are starting to tick me off. I renewed my subscription for 2 years before my last one was up. then I dont get an issue. I get the Dirk Lance issue and then I'm left waiting again. not to mention that every issue arrives all beat up. the pages all creased and smashed. ahhhggg!!!

sorry, but if you have had the same type of problems share 'em with me so I know I'm not alone.

I'm gonna find a number and try to call them chumps.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I got mine. Me'shell Ndege'ocello is on the cover. I thought the Editor's blurb is...lacking, IMO.

One chump calling more chumps? (sorry, couldn't resist) Their toll-free # is 1-800 234-1831

3. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    chump stain,

Exact same scenario here. Renewed for 2 years, didn't get squat. I emailed 'em, they're going to mail another one.

I'm sure they mailed the first one, but the USPS lost it. I regularly get my mail at 6-7PM...I think Mr. mailman's got a few extracurricular activities!

4. My parents ordered me a subscription like a month ago...how long do I have to wait?

5. Ater 5 years, I've finally dumped my subscription to Bass Player.

On several times I didn't get an issue, so I call the subscription office (a lacky phone service).

They tell me that they are out of that issue!

They apologise and then say they'll extend my subscription one month, to make up for it.

I'm pissed because now I have to go out and buy a copy at the newsstand to keep my "collection" complete.

Then a week later I get the new issue AND the issue I just bought... that they said were out.

This happened 4 times over the past 4 years, exactly the same.

Since they were bought out and have a new editior whose searching for a "new look," the magazine has been a major disappointment. Especially the "Fuzz Box/Overdrive/Distortion Review." Good Lord! It's the most asked for effect review ever. They totally dropped the ball.

Notice how everything reviewed is "Better Then Average?" No matter what piece of junk is reviewed? What the heck is 'average' then? Their new reviewers suck. Their new review format sucks worse. I wanna' know spec.'s!

As a bottom dweller I'm tired of bassists treated as second class musician. It's bad enough that the media, video's, bands, and egomanic guitar players disrepect bassists. Recently Bass Player Magazine has bought into the bass player as second rate syndrome by dumbing down reviews and the writing.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Been there, done that.
    I was a subscriber from DAY 1; about 3-4 years ago, my issues began arriving 2-3 WEEKS after the fact...the issues were also arriving in piss-poor shape(like someone had rolled the magazine up & stuffed it in their back trouser's pocket).
    I called, complained...they sent a 'new' copy in a large brown ennvelope.
    Well, it kept happening so I cancelled.

A little later, the then-new editor(Richard Johnston)wrote about these problems & said they would be addressed.
    So I subscribed again...that lasted about 4-5 issues before I cancelled once more due to the same problems.
    I actually sent them an issue in a large brown envelope & said "LOOK AT THIS! Is this the same magazine you sent out"? Never heard a word back from them...

So that crap is still on-going, eh?

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Just called customer service (thanks BigWheel for posting the toll-free) and was told they'd received my re-up, and that my March issue should arrive sometime before the 15th.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The 15th?
    Of what month?
    Of what year?

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Oops... we are talking about BassPlayer, aren't we? ;)

15th of this month... so they say!

10. yeah... i get mine all beat up and ripped!

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Creased and smashed? Mine are ripped and torn! Pages are missing corners and the pages that are fully intact are always bent to hell! I too have noticed that the gear reviews are always better than average. Do you guys remember the issue with Tony Kanal, No Doubts bassist on the cover? That was there thickest issue. That thing by all means was not thick. The issues have shuch little material in them that they never actually last a whole. Im done with them way before the next issue is out. One thing I dont mind so much is I get the mag really early, like before its actually that month yet.

12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Yeah mine are all torn and creased too!I've only gotten 2 issues total,but I must say I'm kinda dissapointed with both of them.Theres only 100 pages,and my friends gutiar worlds are about 200 pages,and with so many more articles!

That magazine is quite thin for $30 a year....

I'm subscribed to transworld skateboarding magazine.every issue is 350-400 pages,and it's $20 a year,and comes with a t-shirt too!Now thats a deal.

13. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    My Bass Player subscription is actually pretty good. About every 6 months or so ill get one that has been maimed, but thats it,I can still read it. And as for the size of the amgazine, have you seen their competition? IMO thoug h tht eissues are smaller than Guitar world, they cram alot of useful info into each issue. Over the 4 years i ahve been a subscriber there have only been one or two issues i was a ctually dissappointed with.

Just my thoughts....?!?...!?!...

Erin

14. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I just buy em at the music store where I work. Subscriptions in general are annoying.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I stopped buying it, almost 10$ (imported to Germany) for such a thin mag - no way Jose.
    Luckily we have our own mags here, Bass Professor www.bassprofessor.de and Gitarre & Bass www.gitarrebass.de , so I don't really need BP anymore.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Believe me, if you grew up playing in the '70s with ONLY Guitar Player mag as a 'bass' source(couple Bass Columns, an article on maybe ONE bassist per month), suffice it to say, you wouldn't be complaining "...there's only 100 pages". ;)

I do have some Guitar World issues floating around; on a whole, I'd prefer Bass Player's layout, flawed as it may appear at times(FWIW, I rarely check out the Gear Reviews).
    I do like the feature articles & how a sampling of the player's style(or well-known lines) are transcribed.

17. the reason it costs more while still being thinner is that the circulation is much lower. You've got to know that there are WAY more guitarists than bassists, so that follows logic. Printing costs per unit are much higher in shorter press runs than longer ones.

They could improve the condition of how it arrives in the mail by choosing a different postage class, but that would cost more money, which would drive subscription costs up. So basically, in light of all this, we're basically stuck with what we have. I don't fault BP, as the publishing industry on the whole is dying right now as advertisers are less willing to advertise and pay on account of the economy.

I only know these things because I'm in the publishing business....

Yeah, wouldn't you like to see them really bag on a product that they're reviewing?....

18. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    If it was the truth,then yes I would.

19. I got my Dirk Lance issue in the mail and it had the hell beaten out of it...several of the pages were torn including the cover, and most of the pages looked like they had been folded. The M'Shell issue was fine, though. It seems like every once in awhile the issues are somehow damaged...this never happens with the other mags I get...including Guitar Player (it's usually in a plastic bag).

20. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Problem: Why should I renew my subscription for $30/year when a new subscriber can get it for like $15? I've subscribed almost since it first came out in 1990!:mad:

Solution: Renew subscription through Amazon.com for only $19/year. Hope nobody from Bass Player reads this.:D