1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where's my crossover? Where to install horn defeat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gastric, Aug 9, 2012.

1. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Pic taken from this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/kustom-deep-end-de115h-sealed-15-horn-906166/

kustom_de115h_jack_board.

kustom_de115h_jack_board_02.

Can someone with electrical knowledge answer the following questions:

* What function is the resistor playing here? I'm assuming a HPF and that it's not cutting off high enough, hence the buzzing I keep hearing out of the horn.
    * Where exactly should I cut into the signal going to the horn to install a simple toggle? Before or after the resistor? Obviously it'd be easiest to use the wiring going to the horn as opposed to cutting traces on the jack board.

Many thanks. I'm good at the physical labor, just not the electrical comprehension / discovery / design. :p

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There's no caps or coils in there so it would be a peizo tweeter which doesn't require a filter. That resistor will be inline with the + wire to the tweeter. It's for amp protection, just so the amp sees some resistive load on the tweeter. Can put a simple on/off switch in between the input jack and that resistor, so when it's switched off, only the woofer is connected. Switching it on will then but juice through the resistor and on to the tweeter.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The woofer is getting a fullrange signal the whole time, whether the tweeter is connected or not. There is no low pass.

4. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Like Will33 says, it really looks like the resistor (47ohms) is in series with the horn(which should be a piƫzo type of tweeter). Just follow the soldering points and you'll see the resistor is connected to the red wire of the horn.
    You can indeed insert a switch somewhere in that area (or just cut the red wire and place a switch between the two ends.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yeah, I guess it wouldn't matter if the switch is before or after the resistor as it woukd break that branch of the circuit anyway. If it easier to get at wires/work on it after the resistor, that's OK.

6. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Many thanks!

Red wire clipped, nasty buzzing from the piezo tweeter has ceased annoying me. Now to dig through my box of parts and find an appropriate switch to mount on the plate. Then eventually try to figure out why the damn thing buzzes to begin with.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I think you have done all that needs to be done, then. ;) No need for that nasty buzzing sound, right? It would just come back if you add that switch and turn it on. ;)

8. gastric

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Installed a tweeter on/off switch on both of my cabs using some spare toggles. A rocker or slide switch would be better as it wouldn't stick out from the cab so far and risk breakage, but I can cut the lever down and grind it smooth for now.

kustom_de115h_horn_switch_01.

kustom_de115h_horn_switch_02.