Where's my old Telecaster Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Mar 20, 2003.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    In about 1987 I bought a Fender Telecaster Bass on a whim. I never had been a Fender fan but I liked the way this bass played.

This bass was blond and the only none original part was a Badass bridge had been put on it.

Around 1990 I did something stupid.....I sold it......for only $150.:eek: :(

For some reason I have really started to miss that bass in the last couple of weeks. Not because I know someone is probably going to try to get a bunch of $$$ on eBay for it, but because I just miss playing it (sniff, sniff).

I haven't really missed it throught the years, just recently.

Anybody think I'm a "sentimental old fool"?
  2. Sentimental, yes; a fool, no.

There are times when I miss my Gibson G-3, my Ovation Magnum and especially my B.C.Rich Eagle.
    As Bob Seeger sang in Against the Wind, "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." :(

I sold the G-3 for $175
    the Ovation for $150
    The Rich for $450

I think we miss them because they were good basses (we didn't realize it at the time) and because they were a part of our youth.

Please, let's not talk about old girlfriends we set free. :bawl:

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    HOLY CRAP!!!:eek: I think I just bought back my old bass!

I walk into a local New & Vintage guitar shop and there, hanging on the wall is a Telecaster bass that looks almost identical to the one I sold (in 1990) and started this thread about.

I'm not totally sure. The color/finish is the same (blond/natural). Its got the countersunk Badass bridge. Its routed for a Jazz pup near the bridge. The only thing that is different is I had the original square Tele pup at the neck. This has a reverse P in the traditional P spot, but you can tap on the pickguard at the end of the neck and hear that the original Tele pup route is under there. This, very well, could be my old bass that someone modified further.

Funny thing is (besides possibly finding the bass I sold 13 years ago in a city that is approaching 2 million people.....2 days after posting that I missed it) putting the reverse P in is exactly what I was going to do if I got or built another one.

Its a 1973 and I got it for $500 out-the-door.

I am, however, going to modify it further (the vintage value is mostly gone already anyway):
    1. Install a fully active PJ setup.
    2. Carve the contours into the body that were put into the 2nd generation of P basses (like the Sting/1954 replica).
    3. Possibly re-finish the whole body (natural or lite stain).
    4. Sand the back of the neck smooth.

I'll have to take some before and after pix.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    That's a great story...hopefully it is your old bass!

I've told myself that if I ever see a particular guitar that I sold in '81 I'm going to buy it back.

A couple of weeks ago a guy in Michigan was selling a couple old SRO 15s on ebay. One was original (but needed to be reconed) the other had a newer looking surround on original style cone and no magnet cover. These met the description of the SROs that I had in my first bass cabinet and sold back in '81 (see a trend here?:( )

I tried to find out where he got them etc. and he wasn't really able to help much as he got them from his father.

That would have been a great sentimental find too.

Congrats on your find and good luck!