1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where's Noah when you need him?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dougjwray, Oct 17, 2020.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Here are two pictures from yesterday's corporate event-- a law firm's party. A singer/acoustic guitarist and me.
    There was torrential rain, all day. We were in a tent, at least, set up in a parking lot, but there was about a 3" gap between the bottom of the side of the tent and the asphalt-paved ground, and the rain managed to splash in.
    One of the lawyers helpfully provided a cooler onto which I set my rig, along with the PA snake and the guitarist's effects.
    If you look closely, you can see a stream flowing outside the tent, BARELY below the level of the tarp that I put down.
    At one point, I turned around and looked down, and the power strip into which we'd plugged everything was actually sitting about 1/2" deep in a puddle. :eek:
    I quickly borrowed a towel from the caterer to mop it up.
    Every time my lips touched my mic, I got a slight shock.
    20201016_153012.jpg 20201016_153027.jpg But we survived! All in a day's work!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    But was there food and chicks? ;)

NG51, yberwaffe, Bunk McNulty and 4 others like this.
  3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Playing outside adds in a bunch of additional elements to any performance. The best outside gigs are the best, The worst are the worst, at least until you dry out afterwards and start telling the stories; then they're the best.

4. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    This is, of course, the main question. :)

5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    While I gotta admire your dedication and bravery, I'd have to question your intelligence...:D

This sounds like that time Keith Richards got shocked unconscious...KEITH RICHARDS!

However, I am glad you survived and had a good show. Rock on, you crazy man.

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    There were chicks; but being married, I was not in contention.
    There was food; but being a vegetarian (21 years), I was limited to some very skimpy roasted vegetable skewers and some macaroni and cheese, which was actually pretty good. They did bring out some excellent cookies later!

gebass6, design, mikewalker and 2 others like this.
  7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    That jolt of electricity probably added a few years to Keith's life!

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

You battled the elements and won. Nice work. Cute little rig you have there. It sounds like you had a bit of a grounding issue with your electricity. :jawdrop: I'm glad it was just a slight tingle.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

dbase, Bunk McNulty and dougjwray like this.
  9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks, BassCliff!

BassCliff likes this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

gigs: sometimes it's about survival...who knew? glad it worked out. :thumbsup:

dougjwray and mikewalker like this.
  11. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    wpid-Photo-Nov-23-2012-1039-AM.jpg

12. When I toured I used a wireless guitar unit, and a wireless mic whenever possible. My thought process was to take me out of the electrical loop as much as possible. If I was running my own gear and the stage was not adequately covered/protected, my amp would be shut off and I would not play.

My health/gear was not worth the gamble. In your situation, my gear would have not been turned on. I’m glad you and your gear survived.

Mr_Moo, design, Rip Van Dan and 3 others like this.
  13. --Vissinger --

--Vissinger --

Jan 31, 2010
    Moses could have also been helpful here.

There's probably a farside cartoon for him too.

14. I can hear the sound of ambulance chasers salivating over the thought of deep fried bassist fondue. Clawing their way to the hapless victim, brown wingtips flailing in the breeze. "No fee unless successful!!!" they shriek like hyenas on the prowl. < Now it just needs a chorus. :smug:

Mr_Moo, 12BitSlab and ahc like this.
  15. As a former employee of a law firm who with my wife's combined tenure accounting for thirty years of our lives I would say you could expect the crowd of lawyers to discreetly fade away as you were electrocuted on their behalf and you would subsequently and possibly post mortem-ly learn that you had already signed away your rights for any kind of protection when you took the gig.

Mr_Moo, Pulverizor, L Anthony and 6 others like this.
  16. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Their evil plan was foiled!
    Actually, they were a nice bunch, except when I had a couple of cigar guys conversing and obliviously standing in the way when I was trying to hustle out with my gear at the end.
    "EXCUSE ME! COMING THROUGH!!"
    But props to the lawyer dude who came through with the cooler to get our stuff off the ground. I wouldn't have gone through with this gig, if not for that.

Mr_Moo, jamro217 and mikewalker like this.
  17. Remember the ‘85 Knebworth festival? Rain was coming onto the stage, and Ritchie Blackmore wouldn’t go on without wearing rubber boots! 0A33A942-7005-4031-930C-22624241E474.jpeg 83C0D686-FB50-465E-8343-BA7EF5393008.jpeg

Mr_Moo and Pauly 4001 like this.
  18. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    Gotta agree with this, but one step further. my gear would not have left the car, let alone the house.

JGbassman and Pauly 4001 like this.
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That's awesome. I secretly don't mind that little shock, just as long as it's my lips and not my teeth! Reminds me of the cesspool clubs from growing up. Glad you made it out alive.

dougjwray and Pauly 4001 like this.
  20. What's a cubit?

WI Short Scaler, NG51 and jamro217 like this.