1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wheres stuart zender in all these lists??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by daveyfunk, Jan 4, 2007.

1. reading all these top bassist lists im surprised to see mr zender overlooked in so many, especially the ones talking about modern bassists...has everyone forgotten how good jamiroquai were back in the zender glory days...i admit the mans gone somewhat of the radar and might not be as spread out as players like pino but the lines he played on the early jamiroquai albums are legendary...also, he might not of been as influential to the kids of the time as say flea may have been.but, he definately did his bit for the budding bassists (like me) playing today...to finish id like to leave you with two words...DEEPER UNDERGROUND

2. Oh! there IS talk!

Zender lives in many of us!

3. I just discovered the guy... I happen to be reading a post on here and someone suggested Jamiroquai. Awesome bass player... it'll give me something to work on for a while.

Trigg

I'll be honest, at first I didn't realize they had a male singer.

4. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    After seeing this thread I went and listened to a bunch of samples of Jamiroquai and the bass player sounds like any 70's Disco/Funk bass player. I don't hear anything new or different. If you like that style bass listen to some Bernard Edwards, Verdine White, and Anthony Jackson.

5. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I disagree with that. True you can here there influence on him, but he has a style all his own.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree that Stuart Zender is clearly a product of 70s Disco/Funk influences, especially Bernard Edwards. Still, the man has got serious talent, I mean he did the first Jamiroquai CD at 17!:eek: I know Woodchuck, a monster himself, loves Zender, and gives him much love as an early influence. Woodchuck also is not the kind of brother to forget the originals either. In short, I think Zender deserves credit for bringing the old school to a new generation and putting some of himself into the mix too.:)

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Zender is amazing. He's one of my biggest influences. I love his groove and feel. He's got great licks and can play some pretty fast stuff. He's a great slapper too. I can't say enough good stuff about this guy. He's underrated and doesn't get enough credit. I wish he was still putting out funky grooves.

8. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    He's obviously influenced by Bernard Edwards, but he took that influence and made it more "contemporaneous" if you will.
    Amazing guy and a big inspiration of mine.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    +1

10. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    Well said.

Zender is one of my alltime bass heroes:bassist:

11. Could be wrong but is that not a keyboard synth line that Toby Smith came up with?? I know the bass doubles it live but i'm not sure if Zender played on this track. as i say could be wrong.

Zender is undoubtably great though, jamiroquai are not the same since him and toby smith left..:(

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

What lists are we talking about exactly?
    Well if you do a search you can see there have been many threads here on Zender already!

Surley that was after Zender had left the band and was replaced!!?? :meh:

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I do agree Zender was a more 'inspirational' player, but the current version of the band is just SMOKIN'!!!! Best they've ever been musically to my ears.

Where is he now? I know there was rumor of a rock band... Has anything new been released?

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    not sure, ask Woodchuck... he sent me a pic a while back of him and Stu in a pub having a beer, while 'chuck was on tour in Europe with Anthony David.

15. Zender only played on the first 3 albums - the later bassists I think sound more generic. I love the line on Music of the Mind off the first album :cool:

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Stuart is playing on DU. He recorded his Warwick through an Ashdown combo. He quit the band shortly after the song was mixed. In fact, Mark Gooday, the owner of Ashdown is the one who told me he had quit about an hour after Stu told him.

17. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
  18. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    This is a great song, but not a good representation of Stu's great playing. I"m pretty sure that is a a keyboard bass. Still it's jamming something terrible. What kind of bass is Stu playing these days??

19. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Did Zender play on the track Virtual Insanity? The only Jamiroquai song I've heard. I love it, and the bass line is pretty fun to play.

Graeme

20. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I believe he did. You should really check out some of there other songs as well. Great band!!!