Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where's the best beer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mlowe, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I've heard many people say that Australia has some very good beers. I must admit one or two are great but the best one I had was in Missouri USA. It was a Boulevard. I could have drowned in the stuff. It honestly made our beers look like donkey pee.

Man, they need to export that here just for me.

BTW. When I had those beers in MO, it was middle of winter, not just snow but solid ice. But gee the beer was still good cold.

:meh: :p :p :p :p :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Foster's - Australian for Donkey Pee". :p

Here in San Francisco, there are a lot of different brands, including a couple that are brewed right here, like Anchor Steam and Speakeasy. I'm guesssing Boulevard was a local microbrew, as I've never seen it out here.

My rule of thumb is that a bad beer in my hand is better than a good beer in someone else's hand. ;)

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Belgium

Period.

4. I'm guessing you've never been to Germany. Every little town here has their own brewery or two and there is a huge amount of variation all over the country. Beer is a sign of where you grew up here, it is a part of your very culture.
    I can almost guarantee that there is a beer in germany that will be your favorite, unless you're into ale's and stouts. Therefore, Germany has the best beer(especially in Duesseldorf) closely followed by Ireland. Don't even think about beer from a nation that has a french as their first language, only locals are able to drink that stuff ;)

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    My favorites are from Belgium and the Pacific Northwest of the US.

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    For mne it's a toss-up between:

Portland, Oregon -- Most breweries per capita in the world, and home of Bridgeport IPA... yummy...

Seattle, Washington -- Pike's Place Kilt Lifter Scottish Ale

Bellingham, Washington -- Boundary Bay's Oatmeal Stout... There's a beer you can literally chew through!!

San Francisco's got tons of them too...

I had a great Chocolate Coffee Stout in Grand Rapids, Michigan (no.. it had neither chocolate, nor coffee)

Several British pub ales that have come over are great, too.. TOO MANY CHOICES :eek:

Depends on what I am in the mood for, really...

7. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Wisconsin Beer. Especially Leinies Honeyweis.

8. Here in Manila- called Cervesa Negra.

9. walewein

walewein

Jun 13, 2003
    Belgium
    When I go to a bar I always go for a "bass" i just have to buy it :) Bass Pale Ale, don't know where it's from. When they don't have this beer I usually go for a palm. As I said belgium is the beer country.

10. GERMANY - PERIOD !
    ANY locally brewed Weissbier from the Munich area, Straubinger Weisse is one of my personal favourites.
    The best beer and quite possibly the hottest women this world has to offer are created in and around Munich.
    :bassist:

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

now here's someone who has their priorities straight !!
    rock on ...

12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Hop, hop, hoppy!!! Good stuff for the hopheads. Me likes.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would say Belgium, Germany, Czech Rep., and the US (microbrews only).

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Manchester, England :)

15. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    The one right in front of you!

16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Many beers are regional. This will often dictate where the "best" of each style is from.

Examples of definitive beers and their locales:

Pilsners - Czech
    Marzen, Weisse, Bocks - Germany
    Dry Stout - Ireland
    Bitter, SB, ESB - England
    Traditional IPA - England
    American IPA (much hoppier variant) - America
    Pale - England
    American Pale (much hoppier variant) - America
    Porter - England
    Oatmeal Stout - England

....and so on. Styles are typical to a region based on the hops and barley that grow native in the area as well as the native yeast strains. For example, you can't make a Pilsner worth the name if you don't have Saaz hops. Period.

17. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I believe this weekend, that I will go to my cabin in Wisconsin and have some Leinies Northwoods Lager and some Summit Pale Ale.

No practice or gigs this weekend,
    Wesley R.