Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where's the cheapest place to buy a QSC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James reeve5, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Where's the cheapest place to buy a QSC PLX power amp with the necessary "upgrades" that I have heard about for playing bass.

Thanks,
    James

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    What "upgrades" are necessary to make a PLX suitable for bass amp work? I sure haven't noticed that my PLX 2402 needed any "upgrades".

There are certain tube preamps (SWR Interstellar Overdrive, Alembic F-1X among them) that either don't produce a strong enough signal or have a high output impedance, which amounts to the same thing. These preamps are incapable of driving a PLX to full power. For those preamps, and ONLY for those preamps, you might want to modify a PLX.

But with most other preamps, the PLX works just fine out of the box.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Would an Ampeg SVP-PRO require any modifications to the power amp in order to drive it to full power?

4. I am running it through a demeter hbp-1 preamp.
    Does that need the upgrades?

So wheres the cheapest place?

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Heck fire no! That SVP puts out the hottest signal in the biz. In fact, I use mine with a QSC PLX1602. Tasty! :cool:

6. Call Lord Valve at NBS Electronics in Denver.

Lord Valve & NBS Electronics

Tell him what you want to use for a preamp etc. He will meet any price and he gives great service and you can believe what he tells you.

The PLX amps, especially the 2402 & up, are great.

Aloha,

Jonathan

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I use a Demeter to power my PLX's....no mod needed. Like Jonathan said, I like dealing with Lord valve........he will give you the strait scoop on what you need, and I got great prices on my 2402 & 3002 from him.....I like good service and he does it:)

8. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I use an F-1X with a PLX 1602 and don't have any input level related problems. As you go up in power in the PLX series, the input sensitivity decreases necessitating a stronger input signal to drive the amp to full power. In my case, it was not a problem.

Kim