Where's the cheapest place to buy a QSC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James reeve5, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Where's the cheapest place to buy a QSC PLX power amp with the necessary "upgrades" that I have heard about for playing bass.

2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    What "upgrades" are necessary to make a PLX suitable for bass amp work? I sure haven't noticed that my PLX 2402 needed any "upgrades".

There are certain tube preamps (SWR Interstellar Overdrive, Alembic F-1X among them) that either don't produce a strong enough signal or have a high output impedance, which amounts to the same thing. These preamps are incapable of driving a PLX to full power. For those preamps, and ONLY for those preamps, you might want to modify a PLX.

But with most other preamps, the PLX works just fine out of the box.
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Would an Ampeg SVP-PRO require any modifications to the power amp in order to drive it to full power?
  4. I am running it through a demeter hbp-1 preamp.
    Does that need the upgrades?

So wheres the cheapest place?
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Heck fire no! That SVP puts out the hottest signal in the biz. In fact, I use mine with a QSC PLX1602. Tasty! :cool:
  6. Call Lord Valve at NBS Electronics in Denver.

Lord Valve & NBS Electronics

Tell him what you want to use for a preamp etc. He will meet any price and he gives great service and you can believe what he tells you.

The PLX amps, especially the 2402 & up, are great.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I use a Demeter to power my PLX's....no mod needed. Like Jonathan said, I like dealing with Lord valve........he will give you the strait scoop on what you need, and I got great prices on my 2402 & 3002 from him.....I like good service and he does it:)
  8. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I use an F-1X with a PLX 1602 and don't have any input level related problems. As you go up in power in the PLX series, the input sensitivity decreases necessitating a stronger input signal to drive the amp to full power. In my case, it was not a problem.