Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where's The MusicMan 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jan 12, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Am I the only one who would be completely sold if Ernie Ball MM made a 6 string? like maybe a kind of Bongo, or even a completely new design (not that the bongo is old) C'mon guys, make a 6 string!!!! I'm sure it would do great but until then I shall wait.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think a 6 string bongo would be interesting.

3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Rumor is there will be a new bass at NAMM.

Could it be a 6?

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I alreayd regret the purchase of my Legend 6 with the release of the euro LX6, This would make me double-regret it!

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    There's a lot of companies that should make 6's and aren't., like Fender, Lakland, and G&L. I believe that this is because that they are run by guitar players who have no idea what bassists want (except for Lakland). This phenomenon is responsible for a lot of our grievances, case-in-point: bass distortion pedals. This is why the SansAmp is doing so well, no one had bothered to think about it before.

6. Heres a NAMM preview post made by Scott Ball at the Ernie Ball forums.

I cant wait to see the new gear.

NAMM preview

7. Stealth Bongo's?!

ohh man!

8. Ernie Ball makes a 6-string in the Silhouette model. I've never heard about it before just now, checking out their website...so don't ask me... :meh:

Edit: YIKES! Further investigation shows that it is basically a 30" scale baritone guitar. Not exactly a bass at ALL!

Pardon me.... :bag:

9. Im wondering if the Stealth Bongos will be 6ers.

Id love to see that Buttercream finish with a tort guard.

10. Yeah, the three companies that Fender spawned have always shunned extended range basses, (besides 5s) and like Mud Flaps said, it's because these companies have always been guitar builders, (with bass guitars as something they do in addition to regular guitars), unlike a company like MTD or Spector, which have always been all about bass.

11. Hrm...I wonder if I can find out about that "Stealth Bongo"...wish I was goin to NAMM.

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Buttercream Bongo... sounds delicious.

I want one and I don't even know what it looks like or have the means of acquiring it. :(

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stealth bongo might be an all black thing like the onyx?

On another note, does ANYONE here own a siloutte, as a 6 string bass?

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I don't think EB/MM will ever make a 6 string bass. It's simply not a market they are going for and have no interest to get into.

I'm curious about the Stealth Bongo. I PM'd Scott Ball with my guess, and I was wrong. It can't simply be an all black Bongo with an Ebony fretboard, can it? :eyebrow: That seems too easy. Heck--you can pretty much order one of those now with a rosewood board.

15. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I live out in NY so there is no chance of me getting to NAMM. However, I wish I was going. I want to see man! Is anyone going that'll take some pics for the rest of us?

16. If Casey Ball knows, I might be able to find out...otherwise I could always ask Scott...

17. There is always a big report thread back from NAMM with pics and info on all the new stuff.

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    As was told to me by a personal friend who works at Fender:At the present time,the company does not want to commit to the R&D,and financial resources for a production 6 string bass.(Now watch this)supposedly Fender says that there really has not been enough intrest(by who ? certainly not the players-me for one) for a 6string model to be in production.because it is not that sort after instrument that the modern contemporary musician( I assume bass player(s) )
    is looking for.However you can contact the custom shop at Fender to have one of the MASTER LUTHIERS if you will, build you an instrument of that genre.
    Now this does not supprise me at all,I'm more than sure they could do it but I always said that I did not think they would want to spent the money not just to do it,but do it RIGHT. They obviously have so much success with the Jazz bass (inferior or not) they don't feel they need to do this at all......and you know what,........they proably won't.which is ashame. :meh:

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Are you serious? Do you really want a 6 string Fender? Honestly, the average 4 string Fender in a store is horribly setup with dead strings. Playing a 4 string Fender that has been kicked around the block is a chore in it's self. Now combine that with the added B and C strings and you have a recipe for a truly horrible bass. All the Fender 5's I have played can't even get the B string to sound and feel solid to my pretty low standards. They were MIA/Delux models so I can't speak on the quality of Artist, Custom, etc models.

Also, on most cheap 6 strings the C is like a completely different instrument. The tone is totally different from the other 5 strings. I love the feel/sound of the average P-neck Fender, but the company's extended range basses have always left me cold.

With Lakland I can understand the want of a six string, as they are very consistent from all I have heard. Plus they seem to be a company concerned with the customer service they put out.

G&L have their market and they will probably stick with it. They are one of the few active electronics systems I actually love the sound of

But there is no reason to want for a six string from these companies with all the other options (in all price ranges) out there. Warwick, Peavey, Spector, Ibanez (better models only), Conklin, Zon, etc.

I not sure what you mean about the comment about bass distortions. Bass distortions have been around since at least the 60's. Overdriven amps, hot pickups; *gasp*, and guitar pedal that sound good on bass. I only have the RBI version of the Sansamp so I don't know how the other version sounds, but seriously bass friendly guitar pedals have been around forever. Proco Rat, Big Muff, etc.

20. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    What's funny is that, on the flip side of this, I've seen at least a few companies/luthiers (mostly boutique, of course) that either won't produce 4's or at least keep that production very limited.

Still, I think a MM 6 would be sweet. I think they'd be able to find their place in that market and would do fairly well.