Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wheres this wire go?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sharp, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    ok, i have a SD Musicman replacement system. while changing the battery, i popped a wire off somewhere, but im not sure where its suppose to go. sounds stupid, but well... thats the way it went.

ok, now i need to find out where this wire goes.

theres 2 wires that go to the battery. one is red, that one goes to the tone circuit. then there is a black wire. im not sure where this one goes.

please help-

-Sharp

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Is it a general active wiring set up? I honestly cant remember, but EMG's website has a bunch of diagrams available, maybe you could find one that works?

The only black wires I remember from my install went to the bridge, and the output jack. Hope I helped

3. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    yeah, fixed it. ended up just touching it to things until it worked. aint that always the best way?:D

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    If it didn't fry and it works, then that is the best way!:D Out of curiosity, where did it end up?

5. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    ended up grounded. i figured it was black so chances were it was to ground. im not sure which ground it was to originally, but it ended up soldered to the jack.

-Sharp

6. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Sharp,
    That black wire needs to go to the ring terminal on the jack. If you solder it to the ground terminal you may find your battery will be dead in a few days. The function of the wire is to turn on the active system. It does this by completing the power circuit in the preamp. When you plug your cable in to the jack it shorts the ring to the sleeve and closes the circuit, sending power to whatever needs it, probably a preamp. The tip terminal on the jack conducts the actual "hot" signal to the amp.
    So, in review, we have a tip, a ring, and a sleeve. Tip = hot. Ring = battery ground. Sleeve = system ground.
    I hope that was clear enough to understand. It's hard to do this without pictures. :D