Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whic cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Piezoman, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Well,I tried some SWR stuff the oter day. I liked it but I notied the 4004 is and 4ohm head and the cab is 8ohm. I know thatthis will ony give about half the power if I am right or maybe it is 2/3 the power. anywhoo,

I was wondering what cab would be good that handles at least 400 watts@4ohms. I would definitly like a god one that gives out good sound but allright on tthe money, Idont wana spend too much.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    you've got a few options.

Firstly, that 8 ohm cab you're thinking of buying is probably available in a 4 ohm version.

The other option is to buy 2 cabs of 8 ohms each. These 2 cabs will provide a combined load of 4 ohms, so the amp will produce full power. Not only that, more speakers move more air = more volume again.

3. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I played a 4004 once, and i liked the tone, plus it is a good price.

Ive never played through a workingmans cab, though.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You might consider an Avatar B212 Delta (about $361 to your door).

5. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    well, I like petes opinion best so I think I am gonna look for 2 8ohm cabs. Now, which 8ohm cabs should I get at a decent price? or I guess I should just get the2 workingmans cabinets. that should work.

If there is something U suggest more thanthe 2 workinmans cabs, tell me. 4 ohms or 8ohms. doesnt matter as long as it has pwrand moe importantly gives a good deep sound.

6. There are a lot of 4ohm cabs out there. The SWR Triad comes 4ohms and several SWR cabs are available in either 4 or 8 ohm. It all depends on the type of sound you are after.

7. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I'd personally recommend not getting any Workingman cabinets. I used to own the 8 ohm 410T and it gave me a lot of problems, i.e. buzzing, and sounded pretty brittle to boot. IMO there are much better buys out there, especially if you're looking for a "good deep sound". I switched to an Ampeg Classic 410HLF and am much happier with my tone -- much thicker lowend.

:D

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've noticed that on this board, if you ask "which speakers sound good?" you'll enievatably get a plug for every single speaker manufacturer in existance by the time the thread is done.

This is where we throw the ball back into your court. Go try out as many as you can, trust your ears, and get something that works for you.

Try to remain open to various configurations. 2x4x10 is only one option. Try a 4x10 with a 15 and see what you think. Try a 4x10 with a 2x10, or even a 15 with a 2x10. The options are endless. But you should pick you own speakers so they work well for you.

9. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    wait, so If I put 2 8ohms together and get 4. Will that give me 800 watts or like 500?

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you're talking about using a SWR WM 4004, it's 400W @ 4 ohm (260W @ 8).

11. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    yea man, wm 4004. Will I get 800 or like 500?

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The SWR WorkingMan 4004 head connected to a 4 ohm load (whether it's two 8 ohm speakers connected in parallel or one 4 ohm speaker) will result in an approximate 400W output capability from the head.