Which 1 x 15in Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basssoundbass, Aug 5, 2009.

1. basssoundbass

basssoundbass

Jul 19, 2009
    UK
    I have just purchased a Hartke LH500 head and am currently using this with my existing Ashdown MAG 115.

I am now considering upgrading the Cab for a better sound.

My musical style is pop, soft rock, indie type music and play a Fender Precision bass.

I do have an Ashdown Mag 210T but dont tend to use this as it sounds better from my 115.

My intentions are to sell both my Ashdown Cabs and to replace with a 15inch Cab price range £350

Reasons for me wanting a single 15inch cab is I play in relatively small venues, prefer a 15in cab to a 2 x 10 and also it would be more portable than a 4 x 10.

Therefore which cab's would be best suited to the LH500's power and tone.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Get a Barefaced Compact. It's #400 but close enough :)

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Can you go out and play some? Best bet is using your ears, if possible.

4. catbus

catbus

Aug 5, 2009
    Central, VA
    If it was a 300W or below amp, I would recommend the Marshall MBC 115 (300W RMS, 4-ohm). I currently play through that with an Acoustic B200H and it's incredibly loud. I had an 06 Highway P-bass and it sounded fantastic, but I sold that and bought an 87 Bullet Bass with EMG active PJ's and still sounds amazing.

It's a rather thundery cab with pretty decent highs from the horn. Perhaps Marshall makes a higher watt version?

I also know that I was suggested to look at Avatar cabs, and they seem incredibly solid and they are a great deal. You could look at those as well. I plan on getting a 2x12 at some point if I get sick of the 1x15. If I'm not mistaken, the 2x12 would be even more portable and almost as deep as a single 15, as highly un-technical of a response that is haha. You might want to look into something along those lines, unless you are set on the 15.

Just my two cents. Best of luck in your search, dude!

Zach

5. If you can find an older Mesa Diesel 1x15 with the ElectroVoice 15L driver, that's a nice cab for what you're going for.

Or you can get the old ElectroVoice TL606 plans off the internet and build your own with a new Eminence driver for much less than £350.

The Orange OBC115 is really nice.

Bag End's S15X-D is a sweet full-range 15" (it's got the coaxial driver)

Plenty of options out there...but the Orange and Bag End might be out of your price range.

6. cheamo

cheamo

May 19, 2009
    Saskatoon, SK
    I've been using a Markbass 115HR both by itself and in combination with my Epifani T-112 and I definitely love the sound of it. Not sure exactly what it would cost or how available they are over there but I would definitely check them out if you can.

7. basssoundbass

basssoundbass

Jul 19, 2009
    UK
    Thanks for the help so far, I have heard a lot about Bag End and Barefaced Cabs but have never seen them over here. Orange is of course available, is the Ashdown ABM 115 worth considering, also the Harke 115XL. Would either of them suite the LH500 and caompatability with it's power

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Get a hold of Alexcaber - can send him a pm or email him from the barefacedbass website :) I'm sure he could provide you some samples or whatever.

Frankly, if you can afford it, I would just go with one of those. Based on my ear tests of the 3015 in those cabs, and what I've read, I doubt you are going to find anything on the market that even touches the compact in a single 15 solution.

The portability is just amazing too. They weigh in around 30-ish pounds and are designed to be easy one hand carries from the look.

9. Rushlover13

Rushlover13

Jul 7, 2009
    The Acoustic 1x15 250W is pretty good, but I think you need the Acoustic 200W head for that.

10. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    There's a compact going around the country for people to check out for free! Head over to basschat and get yourself on the list. Here you go:
    Barefaced On Tour
    Barefaced forum
    Barefaced website
    The Compact page

edit: There are even people over there using an lh500 with them.

They are seriously the best option for new cabs in this country nowadays.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I checked out the Barefaced website. Those cabs look awesome.

Anyone know what 15" driver is used??? Is it the kappa 3015LF neo?

12. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Being in England, I'd say bring your head with you to the nearest Orange dealer. I have no idea how it will sound with your amp, but the OBC115 sounds killer with both a Nemesis NA650 and Fender TB-600!

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Compact is a 3015 neo, and the Big One is a 3015LF and an 18 sound 6nd410. It's basically a fEarful with a top notch crossover and lighter plywood.

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I like the OBC115 but it uses a drastically inferior driver to the 3015 in the compact...the compact would make it look mediocre. Also it's a good bit heavier :)

15. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    What driver does the Orange use, and how is it drastically inferior? Not trying to pick a scab, just looking for some enlightment - I find it hard to fathom that any fifteen would make the Orange look mediocre.

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Orange uses a variety but I believe nowadays they use an Eminence Kappa 15-a or a Kappa PRO 15-A. Maaybe an LF-2 but I don't believe so.

I guess mediocre is probably a stretch but the 3015 is generally superior to both of those drivers (at least as sensitive and capable of more displacement). It's also perfectly suited to its enclosure and optimally tuned. Don't know if I can say that for the OBC but it's a solid design for sure (basically a TL-606 IIRC).

The biggest advantage aside from generally better max spl is going to be weighing half as much and costing almost #70 less :)

17. Do U want yr amp to run at 8 or 4 ohms??? If only ever wanting to run ONE 15" might be best to get a 4 ohm one!!!???

18. mentalpatient

mentalpatient Inactive

Jun 23, 2009
    mental institutionzs
    I just ordered a Bag End 15 without the tweeter. I may stack another Bag End 15 on it that has the tweeter or get their 2 x 10. The Bag End logo looks cool, so I got it, can't go wrong.

19. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    if you are in the UK Compact is the way to go. Lot of people using the LH500 with it to great effect.

20. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    What's the actual difference between the 3015 and the 3015LF?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021