Which 112 do I want - Aggie, Wizzy, or something else

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Oct 26, 2004.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Piecing together a small rig and need some advice on a 1x12. There are no dealers of boutique stuff in my area and I have no time to drive anywhere to audition. Since my only experience is with a 115 combo, I don't really believe I understand some of the definitions I read (scooped, flat, hi-fi, etc.). So here's my requirements list:

- cost: under $500
    - volume: nothing extreme, just used for jams and church
    - weight: light (probably doesn't matter with a 112)
    - bass: Fender p/j
    - musical taste: roots rock (ben harper), blues (swamp), groove (mmw, karl denson), r&b (jill scott), jazz (fareed haque)
    - tone: thick, fat, low, tight, and present. I think Charlie Hunter's tone would be my benchmark 80% of time, but I also like a more smooth, round Family Man or Pino tone sometimes. I don't really slap.

What do you all think. At the moment, I'm guessing the Wizzy fits the bill better. I'm worried the Aggie will sound just like my 115 and get a little too spread. I'm also interested in those LowDownSound long-throw 8"s, but again worry they might not be articulate enough or just too low. Or should I be looking for a 2x10? Tombowlus, MikeBass, Lo-Freq... you guys familiar with this stuff got some advice? Help a TB'er out!
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Have you checked out the 112 from Eden? I think it is fairly new, but I may be wrong.

3. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    mabye an acme 110

4. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Go for the Aguilar, I think they fit the tone your looking for well. And the 1x12 is not too bad pricewise.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Count me in for another vote for the Aggie 1x12 for your application. Reasonably priced, sounds excellent.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bag end 1x15
    doesn't sound like any other 15 out there. do a search on bag end s15-d on this forum. ;)
  7. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Thanks guys. I don't think my 250 watt head will suffice with the Acme stuff. My only concern with the gs112 is all the talk about "pillowy" lows. Now maybe that's coming from folks with really modern tastes. I'm not out to be the next Matt Garrison or Steve Bailey, here. I just want to lay it down with some grind and punch.
  8. My vote would be for a Genz-Benz NeoX 112, but if you're sold on the Aggie, I've got a used one (about 4 months old) for sale.
  9. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I've owned both the wizzy and the GS112. I actually liked the "pillowy" lows of the aggie and thought that was one of the best things about the cab. The wizzy is my cab of choice. It has much more present but sweet sounding mids which helped cut through. The scooped aggie often got lost in the mix. The wizzy is more efficient and will make good use of your couple hundred watts. The wizzy is a bit smaller and lighter too.
  10. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    bump (I see that tombowlus, the self-proclaimed EA slut, is online)
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    to take it further,

i think an Acme 2x10 would more than fit the bill. its the lightest 2x10 you'll come across in this price range and at $less than 500 bills, it'll make your bass' low B sound heavenly.

the Aggie's a great cab, too, but IMHO, it's more pillowy, and doesnt have the authority or punch the Acme does with its 10" speakers.

either cab has that smooth, fat tone you're looking for.

12. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I like what I read about the Acme's, but worry that my Portabass 250 head won't be able to drive it. What do you think? Any thoughts on the Aggie 2x10's (either GS or S series)? They appear to be much more efficient and cheaper than say Epi's, but do they sound very full? Again, I'll be comparing to an Ashdown 115 combo which sounds round, but midrangey for a 15.
  13. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    well, there is a gs112, and an ampeg pb112 at bassnw for $249, Bag End S15B-C for $279, SWR Workingman's 12 Combo Amp w/1X12", Tweeter & 100 Watts - $299.00.

i owned a swr wm12, and hated it in the studio, but when i hear ppl playing it on stage, it sounds great.

personally, i like my dr.bass 1260 cab, which is a 12x6xhorn. great midrange ( 500 watts 3 way cabinet; 1x12" 500 watt woofer, 150 watt 6” mid range w/compression,horn;Hand wired 3-way X-over w/HF level control;45HZ to 20kHZ 102 dB 1W1M;8 ohms;16.25”h x 20.75”w x 15”d;Available with 2u rack space - add $25.00;47 lbs)

btw, i use this for smaller gigs (punk), and i am adding a 15 for larger gigs.
  14. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I would go with a Bergantino HT 112. The down side is there are not alot of them on the used market. The aguilar is easier to get used.
  15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I had an Acme B2 and B4. I bet you would get a great sound with a B2 and the portabass at low volume. When you need to push it that may be a different story. Acmes need big amps for big volume.

I have switched to Bergantino speakers since and Im as happy as I could be. The HT 210 is a wonderful speaker. I know its out of your price range but I would consider it if possible. Its handled all my gigs with ease. Ive never used the HT 112 with a band but I compared them when I was buying and its really no contest. The HT 112 is also a wonderful speaker also but I need something more and the HT 210 was it.
  16. bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    I have owned a wizzy for about a month now and could not be more impressed with it. When you pick it up, it feels like a toy. However, when you plug it in, then sound has to be heard to be believed. It sounds very deep, yet extremely tight. Much more up front than the Aguilar. I can keep my volume very low and still hear every note clearly on stage. It also projects extremely well for such a small box. I have gigged with it 4 times now in various rooms and it cuts through in even the boomiest environments. It is also the ultimate cab for fretless bass.
  17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, I am online, but was temporarily detained. Please excuse the delay... ;)

Well, I absolutely love the Wizzy cab, but when I read through your list of styles that you play, I would think that you might like a bit of mid scoop, which is of course, not something the Wizzy does. It has very present mids. But then, when I read your description of the tone you like, "thick, fat, low, tight, and present", it seems that you like a "present" sound (which I associate with strong, clear upper midrange - others may interpret this descriptor different, though). The Wizzy is not a super low cab, though it certainly does a low B justice. It just doesn't have the subterranean lows of, say, a VL-210. It is definitely more full sounding than a CXL-112, although the CXL-112 has deeper lows, too. The Wizzy has a slight warmth to it, and is not harsh at all, but still remains very clear. I consider that combo (warm, yet clear) to be quite an accomplishment. The CXL-112, is not fat, or full sounding without EQ, though it responds very well to EQ, and can sound quite full with some EQ. But unless you need to get very loud, or really want sparkle on the high end, I prefer the Wizzy. Two Wizzy's are da bomb! And it is a very light cab, to boot.

The Epifani T-112 is a cab that hits on most of your criteria. It is very thick, fat and low, but falls short of any of the EA cabs in the "tight" and "present" categories. This is the main reason that I like to combine a T-112 with a T-110UL, although this combo is still slightly scooped (though with much more mids than most cabs on the market). The T-112UL might have slightly more upper mids, but it didn't sound like a huge difference, to me. But the T-112, to my ears at least, has a great tone for the style of music you are describing. Fairly rounded on the lows/mids, but with a very nice sparkly high tweeter. Not as clear overall, though, as the EA cabs.

The Bergantino HT112 (or EX112, if you don't want/need sparkly highs) is another cab that hits on many of your criteria. One HT112 on its own, though, does not get real thick, fat and low on the bottomost frequencies, though it does perform strong in the low-mids. Two cabs, or the now "classic" HT112/EX112 combo, has much better low end response than one. A very rounded, "old school", tone overall, but again, not as clear as the EA cabs. Again, the Bergies would be good for your style of music, I would think.

Believe it or not, I have not played a GS112, though I have played one of Don's 1x12's up at Low Down Sound, and it was designed to sound much like the GS112. Its sound was consistent with what others here on TB have posted, and you have read much of that already, I am sure.

As for the LDS cabs, let me again say that they are nothing short of awe-inspiring, when you hear the amount of deep, full low end coming out of those little 8" drivers. What they have been lacking, somewhat, in the past, is upper midrange articulation. I recently spoke with Don, though, about these cabs, and he has several options to help address this. The first is to use a larger tweeter driver. The typical 2x8 came with a 1" driver, I believe, which does not go very low. He also offers a 1.5" and 2" driver, which help to get some more upper mids in there. In addition, he is working on a coax 8" driver that is a mid and a tweeter. This can be combined in any cab you want with other long throw 8" drivers, so you could have a 3x8 with two low drivers and the coax. I don't think that these are ready yet, but they sound very promising. Also, he is working with Eminence to try some different driver coatings to get the frequency range to be a bit more broad. He does have 16 ohm drivers now, BTW, so you can get an 8 ohm 2x8. Also, he will be getting cast frame drivers fairly soon, which will increase power handling and heat dissipation. If you can't tell, I am fairly excitied about these, and will definitely pick up one of Don's 8" equipped cabs sometime soon. The ones that I have heard so far are very deep, fat, low and tight, but do have a definite upper midrange scoop. Don makes a wide variety of excellent cabs, but the ones with the long-throw 8" drivers get me the most excited. I must say, though, his coax 1x12 and his 1x15 were exceptionally good, too.

Dr. Bass cabs are also very good and very affordable. I own a 2x10 and 1x15, and am very impressed with both.

ACME has been mentioned, and Andy's cabs will also meet nearly every goal of yours (though I do find them a bit withdrawn in the upper mids and polite on the high end - but they respond well to EQ in this regard). In fact, they have a lot in common with the LDS 8" equipped cabs, tonally. If you are interested, I currently have a Low B-2 for sale. But, I do share your concern about the ability of your head to adequately power ACME cabs.

Well, there are some comments for starters. If you want more information, check out two of my recent threads:

Mini Cab Combo Shootout

My 2x10 Shootout
  18. Yeah it looks a lot the aggie cab, a simple ported design. I think it is cool how EA uses transmission line enclosures. You really havce to be sharp to design these. For some reason, they have not been able to develop software to calculate transmission line parameters so you figure EA has some smart people. Transmission lines play more linear and lower than a simple second order ported cab. But you may want a little coloration to get your sound. Edens are voiced nicely. So if a sterile, transparant linear sound on the go is what you want, then go for that EA whizzy.

If you want a little more midbass booty, then check out something else. The comparaison of the shroeder v EA v bergs v aggie is well-written. See that thread.
  19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great points! However, keep in mind that the Wizzy is actually one of the few EA cabs with intentional coloration designed into the equation. It has a bit of an upper mid bump, and was designed to sound a bit on the warm side.

Oh, I should probably take this opportunity to also espouse my mantra regarding VL-series cabs. ;) Either - or better yet, both - a VL-110 or VL-208 would probably serve your needs quite well, too. In addition, if you can find one, the Hevos Midget is a fantastic little cab, which would well fit your needs.

20. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Oh man. This is more than I can digest. I guess I just don't have enough experience with different gear to make a solid decision. I just want to find a small/light cab that can cover a lot of ground.

So I'll try using Ampeg as a benchmark, being that their gear is widely played and recorded, and most likely the sound I'm most familiar with. I once auditioned a B100r. I felt it was too boomy, and chose an Ashdown EB-15 simply because it was less boomy. But is that classic Ampeg tone what everyone considers heavy on the low-mids? I'm just trying to associate songs in my head with different frequencies. When you go to a concert and the bassist is hooked up to a huge PA and the bass just swallows you up, are those the lows you all associate with the Acme's and LDS long-throws? Was Jaco's tone what you consider upper midrange? If so, is it smooth or pronounced?

I would like to sound like George Jr. during his Meter's days, only a shade deeper and clearer/tighter. My hunch is that a "thicker/fatter" sound is more what I want than a "deeper" sound. Like a bari sax vs. a sousaphone.

edit: One more thing that may help (I know I'm getting long-winded and testing everyone's patience. Sorry about that). My combo has no tweeter and I don't miss one. I usually play flat and definitely never touch the eq, even for fun, above the mids (660hz). I only boost the mids when I feel like hearing more bridge pickup growl. The mids flat and healthy amount of gain on an Ashdown seem to give me that War "Low Rider" sound. I sometimes cut the mids in quiet settings.