Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 12s to get and will a 2x12 be loud enough for gigging with no pa?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twilightcall, Nov 14, 2005.

1. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    I am currently working on building 2 1x12 speaker cabs for my rig. I am using an Ampeg B2R head. I play a T-bird or a Fender P-Bass. Mainly Alt./Modern Rock style music. I was wondering which 12 inch speakers you guys would recommend for this rig. Also I prefer strong low end but I have found a 15 to be a little too floppy for me. I am working on 2 seperate 1x12 cabs. I would like to get good low end. Also will 2x12s be loud enough for gigging without PA sometimes? House parties, small clubs etc.? As far as budget goes I would like to stay under $100 per speaker if possible. Thanks.

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'll leave this to better educated people to respond to, but I will say that I've had good luck with the Eminence Delta 12LF, but its a little dark on the high end. My tweeter takes care of the rest. have fun.

3. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks I appreciate the info.

4. My experience is also with the Eminence delta 12LF and it works very well in a 2.5 cu. ft. box tuned to 50hz.

Enjoy your cab building! :bassist:

5. Yes a typical 2x12 rig is plenty loud for small clubs but you might be pushing it volume wise with your B2r if your band is really loud. I used to have one and it worked but sometimes I was pushing it to the limits with my old loud metal band.

6. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I am taking my time trying to get everything just right. I will look for some Delta 12lfs.

7. Sounds like an Avatar SB112. :) I have 2 of the Avatar 1x12s, and the Delta 12LFs do a great job in them. I use 1 or 2 depending on the gig.

8. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    Well, I am strictly a novice (or less), but Beyma makes some neodyium 12"s that model up very nicely in winisd. They are quite a bit more expensive than Deltas though, iirc.

P.

9. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    price out everything first, then look on ebay or elsewhere for prices on avatar 112's. avatars arent pricey, and if they are using the same driver you are considering, i imagine they build a better box than you ( as novice). just guessing.

anyway, you may find VERY good prices on them.

re beyma... i heard they are the JBL of spain! ;-)

10. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I use to use an Epifani 212 and it had no problems getting above the drums and guitars without going through a sound system. I just sold it and I'm now getting two Epi 112's for portability and to use one by itself for smaller gigs. Same goes for them, no problem and the sound is big, fat and full. I use a 64 Fender Jazz or a Fodera Emperor 5 with a WW Ultra High amp.