1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 18" speaker should I go with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Up in the air is my EV EVX180B vs a Madison Executioner 18x.

Now for the fine print. I have the EV in a ported cab from shredmuzic.com that i put 1/2" foam dampening in and wired myself. I have a friend who builds cabs and speakers for a living. I could have him build me a cab for it. Probably a sealed cab because I'm told sealed cabs work better with 18" speakers in bass applications than ported cabs do.
    Then, a friend of mine is selling his Madison 1x18 cab for $300. It's in fairly good condition and hasn't seen that many shows.

So here's the 3 things I could do. I need help picking which one to do.
    1-Keep the EV and get a sealed cab made for it.
    2-Keep the EV and get a ported cab made for it.
    3-Sell the EV and get the Madison.

What say you?!

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    That driver will perform best in a 4 cu ft box tuned to 42hz with an f3 of 52hz. In a sealed box, 3.5 cu ft, will get an f3 of 64 hz. Gotta tell ya, a box stock Carvin 18 comes in a 5 ft box, and will slap the spl chart much higher than this EV driver. I still have that 8 ft box in my garage. I use it all the time. If you want to try some different drivers in it, just let me know, I still will let you try it out with the driver of your choice. It's designed for the JBL 3041, but a guy can get a APX1841 JBL copy for 120 bucks plus shipping, or spend the big bucks for the jbl's at about 300 each used. For the kind of low end you are searching for, that may be your only route, on a budget. Let me know Joe

3. thanks joe! definitely something that i'll have to think about. i'm kinda looking to use my 18" speaker stand alone. i just love the tone that comes from it. i'm kinda timid to splurge on anything unless i know its going to work great or better for me.