Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 1X10 for me? EA or LDS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScottyBoy, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Ok guys.

I am looking for a 1X10 cab to add to my Aguilar 112.
    I want to add some punch/mids, but most of all I want CLARITY!

I am looking at this setup instead of my current which is 2 Aguilar cabs. Volume will not be an issue - I dont play in loud settings. I will be powering the cabs with a GK 1001RB and playing 5 string.

The main contenders are the EA CXL110 (discontinued but still available) and an LDS 1X10 3 way. Currently I am leaning to the EA CXL110 only because of its reputation of clarity.

Ive seen a few posts of guys with the aggie cxl110 combination. Any insight in either of these cabs - as standalone and extension to the aggie would be welcome. I can not trial either of these cabs as I am getting one shipped to Australia.

Thanks

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I just bought a CXL110 to use with my iamp350 combo. I'd say grab it quick if that's your choice as there are only so many of them left out there. It's a great cab and clarity is definitely its strong suit! ;)

3. Thanks - anyone else?

Anyone tried the LDS 1X10 3 way. It has 10' woofer, 5 1/4" mid driver and tweeter.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have tried this cab, and it was respectable, but not my favorite LDS cab. If you are after clarity, EA cannot be beat!

Tom.

5. I would also give the Eden CX 110 a shot, especially for clarity. The co-ax tweeter sounds smoother to my ears than most horn tweets. Plus I get real nice projection and lows out of mine.

But the the EA would be a nice little cab too.

I notice that a lot of people on TB seem to not mind mismatching cabs. I would be concerned with voicing anomolies b/t brands A and B. Perhaps the EA's signature transparancy may be the best bet.

6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Where would the Acme B-1 fall in this comparison? I just got one and I'm still breaking it in but it seems very flat and clear.

LeonD

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Low B-1 is a killer cab. I recently picked up two 8 ohm B-1's, though I have not had a chance to directly compare them to any of my other 1x10's. They are certainly very deep sounding, though not as efficient as some of the other cabs. I really need to spend some time comparing them, especially to my VL-110's.

Tom.

8. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

The only other cab I have to compare the Low B-1 to is an SWR Goliath II Jr.

I'll play the SWR for a bit and think it sounds pretty good. Then I'll play the Low B-1 and think it also sounds pretty good (I'll try and equalize the volume as the SWR is louder).

Now I'm saying to myself that my original SWR is a good cab. It's about that time that I'll plug back into the Goliath II Jr. and it seems like someone put a blanket over the speaker. :eek: Each on their own sound good (and for some applications, the SWR would probably be the better speaker) but side by side, the Acme is just a lot more clearer.

I think what's deceptive is the sharpness of the SWR horn. It really makes the highs cut. But that's not the same as being clear. :rollno:

Like I said, I'm still breaking in and evaluating the Acme but it seems like I have a winner on my hands. :smug:

LeonD

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Trust me, you do! :D