Which 1x10 would you choose

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, May 22, 2003.

1. Eden CXM-110

10 vote(s)
  2. EA CxL-110

24 vote(s)
  3. Epifani T-110

17 vote(s)
  4. Flite 103W

1 vote(s)
  5. Flite 110H

0 vote(s)
  1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Based on experience, which 1x10 cab would use choose? My main considerations are price, weight, sound quality, versatility, and speaker efficiency.

Ruled out the Acme B-1 because the speaker sensitivity is too low.
    Ruled out the Ampeg Portabass 110 because it is 4 Ohm.
    Ruled out the Eden D-110s and the Ashdown Mini 10T because they are too heavy.
    I don't know where to get the Hevos or Tech Sound Systems stuff in the states.
    I am too lazy and don't have enough time to make my own.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have the Eden CXM and it sounds good and bassy at low to medium volumes, but doesn't do well when pushed - starts getting harsh and middy. It's light, though not as much as a Flite or Ampeg porta, and is well constructed - no rattles even if its farting out. It's cheap too, under $300 new.

As far as efficiency goes, here's my experience: no matter what any manufacturer may say, a single 110 for any non-coffehouse audience > 50 is usually pushing it. The 110s work best as stage monitors if they're on a chair near ear-level. If you want to get louder, the best solution is to add more speaker surface area or rely on the backline.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm making the same decision at the moment... it's down to the Ampeg Portabass 1x10 and the EA CXL110 for me...

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Tough! The EA's are super hi-fi sounding. While the Porta Bass cabs are light. Imaging 2 PB110's and a Acoustic Image Clarus though!
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own both the Epifani T-110UL and the Ashdown Mini 10T. I have also checked out several of the others on your list. Between the Epifani and the Ashdown, there is no comparison whatsoever. The Epi wins on every account (lighter, sweeter highs, more balanced mids, handles the low end better, etc.). I am thoroughly thrilled with my T-110UL (which, of course, is the ultra light, though your poll didn't specify), but I would not suggest it for use in a single cab setup if you are going to be hitting the B string hard and often. It does cover the B quite well, but if you crank on it, it starts to loose its composure. I use mine in conjunction with an Epifani T-112, and the results are joyous!

That said, the EA CxL-110 is from all accounts that I have observed a killer cab as well. I have not heard one, but I own several of their VL-series cabs, and they are just incredible. If the relative inefficiency doesn't bother you, the VL-110 is another killer cab to consider, though like many cabs, I hear that they really come alive if you use two.

The Accugroove Tri 110 is another excellent option, though it may be a bit heavey for your likes.

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I highly recommend the EA CXL110.:bassist:
  7. Epifani 1x10 Ultra light with the 1x12 as recommended by Tombowlus it rocks:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    On a cautionary note I'll share my experience. I was with Matthew when we tried the Epi 1x10 1x12 with an Eden Traveller head. He used his Sei 7 fretless and I used a Musicman Stingray 5. Both basses sounded great with either or both cab. For me the 1x10 was the better cab. What turned me onto Epifani was trying a 1x12 in Bass Alone with an Ashdown head and a Roscoe LG (BTW never try a Roscoe unless you have the money in your back pocket) and was stunned by the sound. I had swapped from a Bergantino 2x12 and the Epi held up well. So what's cautionary?

I met up with Matthew to try cabs and was looking at the Epi 1x12 or the EA CXL 1x12. It ended up as a draw between the Epi 1x10 and a used EA VL208, actually both cabs together was awesome.

I returned with my Trace Elliot V4 head and tried both cabs to see which one was going home with me. The Epi sounded awful, dull, muddy, horrible. Please don't even think off taking or quoting this out of context. I went home with the VL208 and I also tried the CXL 1x10 which sounded way brighter than the VL but lacked bottom as a solo cab.

The reason that I am writing this is because you have an Ampeg head which has the same power stage as my V4. If its the KT88's that dont like the Epi cab (and it is a subjective opinion) then you may be in trouble. Please check the return policy on any cab you get.

Hope this helps.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    so you're using this 1x10 as a standalone?

if so, i wouldnt do it. the cab might not project enough low end, making it a bit too anemic, IMHO.

a nicer route to try would be a nice 39 lbs., $399 Aguilar GS112. lightweight, great tone, and did i mention its light? ;)
  10. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've heard swr wm-10, eden cxm-110, EA cxl-110L, tech21 Landmark 60, (I know they're not all just cabs)

I guess EA is the only speaker on the poll that I liked the sound AND had a high power rating. my friend steered me away from eden due to the recent buy out and unreliability of service. I like the tone of the eden, but thought it might not handle higher volumes. (EDIT/UPDATE: I had a CXL-110L had problems with mine returned them, got a CXL-112L didn't like it got a Aguilar GS-112 LOVE IT! light and has good bass. I guess I like old school dark yet good midrange)
  11. JimboBass

May 23, 2003
    The Epifani T-110UL is a lightweight cabinet that is a lot louder than it looks. However, it will not do the job of a 410. I use a 1 T-110 on a lot small gigs around Manhattan.
  12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I'm using the SWR WM10's and they are fine for venues that have a PA and all you need them for is stage volume or for small venues. I like the way they sound and they are very reasonably priced. The only gripe I have about them are the tweeters that hiss like crazy when engaged and I always have them off. Here's what my rig sounds like at the front of the stage from a show I did with them:

AI Clarus, Tech 21 Sans Amp DI, 2 SWR WM 10's stacked on top of each other.
  13. Phil,

Doesn't sound too bad actually. A little too loud and boomy though. You might to lower it next time.;)

P.S. What bass were you using with that?
  14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Maybe I need a bigger rig??? :D

That's my home grown Jazz bass with Bartolini pup's and electronics:

15. Phil

What made you

a]put the Clarus and the Sans Amp DI together. What does the Sans Amp add to the sound.

b] Also what made you choose the WM 10's to pair with the amp. Is it their weight, sound or price or something else?

I am asking because this is one of the rig combinations that I want to try out.

Any other thoughts you can add would be gratefully received.

16. Everyone has a different idea as to what sounds good and what doesn't. Each one of us has that elusive sound in our heads that we're always searching for; and it's different for each one of us. That said....

I wouldn't go with a 1x10 for anything other than a stage monitor. In my experience, and I emphasize, my experience, in a 1x? configuration, anything less than a 1x12 as a stand alone cabinet, just won't really cut it on a gig of any size. The 1x10 will work OK in conjunction with other cabinets, but not really as a solo.

But, as always, YMMV. See if you can borrow, rent, etc., one of 1x10s before you buy. Try it under the conditions that you will be using it and see how it really works for you. And Good Luck.
  17. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    You're experience is obviously lacking because I and several other people I know use a EA CXL110 as a stand alone on many gigs. I use mine witha 7 piece R&B band often with no PA support and still get comments from band members on the tone of my rig. :bassist:
  18. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Does anyone out there own an Acme Low-B1?

19. NeedMoreBass: If you will notice, I emphasised "In my experience". And, as for whether or not it will work, will obviously depend upon the nature of the gig.

Personally, I've never heard a 1x10 that would suffice for what I require in tone. Including the one that you reference. But, if it works for you, great. If your band mates like it, that's great too. I bow to your obvious experience since it works for you. But, as you will also note from my post, I recommended that jive1 try it out for himself and see if it will work or not. That is really the only way in which anyone will know for sure.

Lacking? Even as long as I've been playing, there will be holes in my experience in relation to one thing or another, as there will be in anyones. We can all only speak from our own experience and knowledge, or should.

Good luck with your cabinet, and your band.
  20. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000

I had the Sans Amp DI before I had the Clarus and noticed that it, the Sans Amp, has a way of making your bass sound really good no matter what you play out of. The Clarus EQ is tame and so I either run my bass active without the Sans Amp and dial in one sound i.e. more modern, or use the Sans Amp to dial in another sound which to me sounds fuller and more like the idealized bass sound that I have in my head.

I have the WM10's because originally I had a WM10 combo and the extension cab. I sold the combo, which would get stressed when you added the extension cab, got the Clarus and got another WM10 extension cab because I liked the way the original combo sounded. The WM10's are cheap, compared to other stuff, and well suited to the 200 watts that the Clarus can deliver to them.

When I need more volume than the two 10's can deliver I go with a Goliath Jr 2x10 cab and a Flite 15, which gives me a lot more low end and volume. The Clarus is the center piece of my modular rig, it's light enough and small enough to fit into the front pocket of my bass gig bag and the cabs are reasonable light.