Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 1x12? avaiblable in the UK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Si-bob, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Basically i'm going to uni in september and i want a small 112 to take along with my Ampeg head, i know some might say why not get a 110, well cos i want to be able to use the 112 with my current setup (instead of the 15 perhaps for smaller gigs)

My main question is, are there any decent Cab makers in the UK apart from ashdown, i am i best ordering something from america from the bass centre?
    Like i said, i'm after something fairly small, so something like the Bergantino, Bag End, Genz Benz

Thanks
    *Si*

2. The EA cxl 112 should be available over there.

3. Yeah, its sold by Overwater i think.
    These are the brands i think i can get hold of that sell 112's:

Bergantino (Overwater)
    EA (Overwater)
    Ampeg Portabass ((Bass Centre)don't want this)
    SWR (Bass Centre)
    Ashdown ((anywhere)looks a bit big)

Thats all i'm aware of, and i'm very interested in the Bergantino 112, but Overwater is a long way away.

anyone got any ideas?

*Si*

p.s.
    next time i'm at the bass centre, i'm definatly suggesting that they get a representative on this board! :)

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi Si-bob

Somebody on this side of the pond is bound to sell Aguilar stuff - lots of guys here rave about their 1x12" (GS112?)

Have fun!

Ian C.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would go with EA - I have bought 2 VL208s from Overwater and they are simply the best sounding cabs I have ever heard and very portable!

I bought them on interest-free credit, mail order, from Overwater who are very good to deal with.

6. thanks for the recomendation bruce, does anyone know who a dealer is for Aguilar?

cheers

*Si*

7. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    You can get hold of Aguilar from the Gallery in Camden, www.thebassgallery.com But if you want small, then as the guys have said, EA is good stuff, and Overwater are very good!!

Peace

8. thanks lowb, i'd forgotten the bass gallery existed :), to much time at the bass centre :D

*Si*

9. hey si ,,

I' live 2 miles from Overwater, pop by every week and i'm off there this afternoon.

I Play my Overwater progress 5 through an EA iAmp 350 combo with the 1x10 and it's the best thing you can play through, it's great.

The 12's are cool too, I'm probably gonna add a 12 to the 10.

Anyway, if you want a comparison, have any question etc about the EA's compared to the Bergantino's or want some sound clips i can arrange it,, ??

i know it's not the same as playing it yourself, but if you hear them you may want to make the trip up to Carlisle, it's definatley worth the trip!!! And it's a great day out playing bass !!

Get in touch if you want some more help

stu

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmmmm...day out in Carlisle? I suppose I ought to be open-minded! ;)

The only time I was tempted was when my local team Brighton & Hove Albion were playing away and were offering cheap travel - but when I looked at the time it took to get to Carlisle, the appeal waned significantly!

Now we are in the exalted company of the First Division (Cheers!) I doubt I will ever make it - but I am happy with mail order anyway! :D

11. come on Bruce, you know i was talking about the wonderful historical bias of the city!

The catherdral is worth a look , and the castle,,,, we had the HRH the Queen visit last week :)

Oh and if you like, all those great basses at the JAM ;)

stu

12. Hey thanks tyburn
    i phoned The Bass Gallery and they have an EA 112, and thats a lot closer, so i might go and have a try. have u got any pictures of it, preferably with a human being? :) i still havn't been able to compare it in size, i basically wanna be able to carry it in one hand, my Amp head in the other, and my bass on my back! :)

also, i'm definatly interested in a comparison between the Bergantino 112 and EA 112, sound, size, weight, price etc
    i play a 5 string (low b) by the way!
    and sound clips would be the icing on the cake! :)

cheers

*Si*

13. Is the Ashdown Mini12T out of the question, size and money wise?

[EDIT] - Duh, that's probably the one you're thinking of...

14. hey all, thought i'd breath some life into this thread :)

The ashdown is just right price wise :), but from what the measreuments read, it looks a bit big (never seen or played one)

*Si*

15. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Carlisle? Isn't that in Scotland? :D