Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 1x12 reliably delivers the deepest low end response?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arranger, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Aguilar GS 112

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Avatar SB 112

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Bergantino EX 112

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. EBS Neo 112

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Euphonic Audio WZ 112

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Other

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I'd like to get the deepest low end possible from a premium lightweight 1x12. I know this is insane and a bit of a tall order. I just have to lighten the load a bit. Even if 3 or 4 of these are necessary, it would be easier on my back than any another 50-70lb options.

Which of the listed cabs reliably delivers the deepest low end response?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You will get more low end from the EA CLX112 than the WZ 112.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    If you use two 112s you will get more than twice the goods of one. Personaly, I like bergantino.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I KNOW the aguilar gs112s sound MUCH deeper than EA cxl-112s. I have two aguilars and I think they sound great, fat pillowey! maybe scooped mids, but very tweakable for cut-through, with the right preamps. some people say they sound deeper that popular 410s or 15s. I think most people should use two, unless your in a low volume group. One can sound pretty big in the right room.

5. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Having recently bought and sold two Aguilar GS112's I can say they put out a ton of bottom with the right amount of power. That being said, they weren't quite the sound I was looking for. There may be better (subjective) 1X12 cabinets out there, but for bang for the buck, portability, and low end, these may be pretty hard to beat!

6. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you, all. Any other comments would be welcome.

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you would be most happy with the Aguilar cabs if you are looking for low end. They are really smooth sounding cabs. Handle the lows great too. Much deeper sounding than a lot of 1x12" cabs on the market.

8. How about two more to throw into the mix

Epifani 1x12 Ultra light

Accugroove Tri112 - not just a 1x12 as it also has a 1x6 and 2xtweeters.

The Accugroove is meant to have really good bottom end, but both of these sugesstions are expensive.

Matthew

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just week a friend and I did some a/b'ing with a pair of GS112 cabs and another brand, at a local store. I had onwed a GS112 before and wanted to see if I still felt the same a couple of years later.

A pair of GS112s do put out a lot of low end. Unfortunately that low end was very pillowy and soft. The exact sound I was really tired of hearing with most popular brands.

Then I tried one Aggie with one Bag End small 115 coax (S15X-D IIRC). Wow. Major difference. Still had very good lows but they were far more controllable and tight sounding. The BE sounded fine by itself and the Aggie added something that really complimented the BE.

The BE 15 doesn't weigh much and IIRC isn't any bigger than the GS112. If I had a choice between a pair of Aggies and a pair of the coax BE 15s, no contest IMO.

No, they're not twelves. They are punchy, deep, articulate with nice highs and produce some pretty serious thump. Not sure what you're looking for in a twelve.

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Epifani 1x12 has got the lows, and still has
    some mids and highs. Handles lots of power.
    Two of these would do very well thank you.

11. One EACXL112 superb, two CXLS112s with a WW Hi power:
    DEADLY

:D

12. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you, SeanM. I made a mistake and intended to list the CXL112L, not the powered WZ112. I appreciate your thoroughness.

13. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    To me, the nod goes to the Bergs. I have used them in a variety of settings, from jazz gigs to a lot of LOUD church gigs in strange rooms, and the Bergs have a lot of capability to handle the low end, but keeps it tight and centered....also GREAT in the low (300-500) mids. I was at Carey Nordstrands last night, and he has a setup with a single Ag 1X12 and a DB 750 (LOVE that amp!), and it sounded great, but yes, I also have to echo Brad's comments about the "pillowy" low end. I've also had great luck with a single 1X15 Bag End...how about a 1X12 Bergie and a single 1X15 Bag End...I bet you'd have great luck with that! I got mine at accessbass from Adrian, and got a great deal, and outstanding service.

14. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I have 2 of the older Avatar CB112s. They are really great cabs-- lots of low end, and eq'd right, will cut through just fine. Together, they sound awesome.
    I use them singly as well-- for smaller gigs and rehearsals, and for jazz with URB (i use an old SWR Electric Blue head for that-- talk about a great combination).

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Do you mean "sounds deeper" or "has real extended low end" which are two different things.

A bump in repsonse at 80-150 Hz sounds deeper than true flat response below 40 Hz.

16. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you, Brian. That is a good point to clarify. I guess that a cab that has a flat response below 40Hz would not necessarily sound deeper because the human ear does not resolve such low tones as well as those at slightly higher frequencies?

I didn't think that any of the cabinets above were capable of real sub frequencies - 40Hz range. Perhaps I should review the specs. Yes, I was looking for the cabinet that sounded deeper, and didn't necessarily have specs that might lead an acoustician to assume that the net voicing would be lower.

I'd like to cover a wide variety of sounds. Including, for example, some of Phil Lesh's tone. I don't perform bright or slap styles. I prefer finger playing styles that are more in the background, yet would like to have deep weight to the tone, reaching far below the rest of the band with some growl and drama. Then, I push the mids some to cut through the mix. I generally leave the treble cut.

My preamps, the RBI and BMax have a variety of tones and I'd like to capture the majority of them. The BMax can really reach down in the frequency range. If I can create an armament of multiple modular cabinets (single 12") capable of replicating most of these tones, that I can add or subtract from depending on the venue, I think that I'd have a really versitile rig.

Thank you for your query.

17. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a pair each of Bergantino and Epifani 1x12s. The Bergs are nice but the Epifanis have clean low end like nobody's business; much more than the Bergs. And not farty like some others. I sometimes use just one Epifani, but always need the Bergs to be in a pair.

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you are interested in the specs on 12" cabs, I have a table here: http://seanm.ca/bass.html. This is not complete and the specs come from the manufacturers so caviat emptor!

19. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with Brad. The Aguilars have a very "pillowy" sound. They have a loose sound, and not a whole lot of midrange. The Bag End Coax is an awesome cab(S15XD). They are really small too. That should be a consideration as well.

20. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    A Bag End S12E subwoofer is +/- 3dB 8-95Hz 39lbs. I don't think this is what your looking for though. On the other hand to get Phil Lesh like tone you will, more than likely, need a sub either in your cabinets or in the PA. got money?