Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 1x12's sound best...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crawfoj, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Aguilar GS 112

10 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Bergantino HT 112

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. EBS NEO-112

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Epifani T-112 NYC

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. EA CxL-112

10 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. Eden 112 XLT

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  7. Other

13 vote(s)
    15.5%
  1. crawfoj

crawfoj

Jun 28, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    There can be only one...x 12...

OK. I've decided a single 1x12 would be best for my use, primarily for practicing and some small gigs. I don't have a need for any great volume, but, I do want excellent sound. I'll be playing it through a (soon to arrive) Eden VT-300.

I've heard the Epifani T-112 NYC and think it's a great sounding cab! Very warm. Surprising lows and still detailed (and definitely more than enough volume). I also liked the sound of the Aguilar GS 112. My experience with other 1x12's, however, is limited. I wasn't overly impressed with the Eden 112XLT (as a single cab, probably better in a stack).

However, I've enjoyed reading the numerous comments from everyone re. other quality 1x12's and was interested in hearing people's impressions and experiences...

Some of those candidate 1x12's seem to be:

Aguilar GS 112
    Bergantino HT 112
    EBS NEO-112
    Epifani T-112
    EA CxL-112
    Eden 112 XLT
    ...????...

At this point, I'm leaning toward the Aguilar as it seems to be a pretty good sound for the $. But, wow, that Epifani T-112 rocks...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all! ;)

- john

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I played a few Aggie 112's at BassNW. They are definitely nice cabinets. It's hard to find anything wrong with them, but they do have a tone to them that some people do not like. It isn't a bad tone. I was all set to buy a pair until I heard the Epifani NYC. I am now the owner of an Epifani, and it pairs up beautifully with a Epifani UL110.

-Mike

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    My "other" selection would be for the Accugroove Tri-112.

Warning: may be habit-forming; players have been known to become addicted to the actual sound of their instruments while using these cabinets ;)

But seriously, they project well and weigh only 38 lbs. If you have the money in your GAS fund, do yourself a favor and give one a try with the head of your choice.

4. crawfoj

crawfoj

Jun 28, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks, Mike. It's good to hear that my ears aren't "seeing" things with the Aguilar. I really do think this one is a good value. Sounds like you also weighted the Epifani a bit higher, at least enough to spend the extra $$. Good to know.

I've never heard any Accugroove. Though, after having read some of the very positive posts about them, I actually meant to add the Tri 112 to the poll. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to edit the poll after I finished! I'm slow, you see. :meh: Without having heard the Tri 112, that cab certainly "looks" like it's got some hardware in it. Is the sound more detailed across the frequency range than other cabs due to that extra midrange speaker?

Another one I wish I had posted, was the Schroeder 1210 or Mini 12+. Granted, the 1210 is not "just" a 1x12, but, pricewise, it's not too much more than the Mini 12+. Looks like a good value for the 1210. But, knowing that I reallllly don't need the volume the 1210 seems to produce, that must be GAS talking...

GAS..."the 1210 is only just a little more expensive than other 1x12s. What the heck. Go ahead. Try it! Volume never hurt anybody..."

Me..."hmmm, you've got a point there...why not just spend the few extra $$??..."

Anyway, thanks for the opinions! ;)

- john

5. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I sold my Aguilar and replaced it with a EBS Neo112. The Aguilar sounded very good in the store, but did not cut through on the stage. EBS sounds good on the stage too...
    Waiting for my EBS 112 nr 2 now..
    It`s serious fun to put plenty of power on an 112 cab, you might be surprised how loud you can play with that tiny little cab

6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    John - yes, it's all there frequency-wise in the Tri-112. You have to hear for yourself to believe how nice these cabs sound. My jaw literally dropped open when I plucked the first note...! The only other guy I let play my rig(s) got a little too happy with my iAmp/B-4 cabinet last year and blew the crossover fuse. Biggest favor he ever did me. It motivated me to try Accugroove speakers. The self-resetting mid/tweet driver protection was one of the selling points for me. With a Whappo Jr. and Tri-112, I don't have to worry about finding better cabinets. I don't know if you do upright bass (I don't), but the Tri-112 is reputed to do a fine job in that arena also. I use BEADG tuning with an iAmp 800 or T'funk 420 btw.

Ken

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like others have mentioned, all the boxes mentioned are terrific, just depends what you dig and like.

but for my tastes, its a toss up btwn the Accugroove Tri112 and the Epifani UL112.

the accu's by far the biggest sounding i've ever heard. but the Epifani is the most punchiest and boldest sounding on gig.

but i've pretty much sworn off 12" loaded cabs. under dense stage mixes, i've felt buried with every 12" loaded cab i've used. only 10" cabs for me.

8. crawfoj

crawfoj

Jun 28, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Clearly a believer. It's always refreshing to hear when people love their gear.

I don't have to worry about dense stage mixes. Just for practice and some small gigs. So, from my perspective, I'll take that as an endorsement for the Accugroove. Thanks for the input!

...of course, just as I"m trying to stick with the "I only need a 1x12" plan, I see a Berg 2x10 go up for sale...cruel, I tell ya'! :meh:

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great combo!

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Of those on your list, for a standalone cab, I voted for the Bergantino HT112. That is just one killer box.

But, if I were to vote "other", I would have liked to mention the Accugroove Tri 112L and the EA Wizzy. Not having heard the Tri 112L, though, I am going to have to say that my overall top choice for a single cab 1x12 solution would be the EA Wizzy. It's a 4 ohm cab, so you'll get the most power from your Eden head, and it is full and slightly warm sounding, but with great clarity and articulation. A single Wizzy, though, will not have the extended low end of an Epifani T-112 (but then again, what does!), so if you plan on beating the low B excessively, you might want to go Epi.

Tom.

11. crawfoj

crawfoj

Jun 28, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tom,

Thanks for the thoughts. From what I've seen/read, your collection is second-to-none. I've never heard the Wizzy. Nor, have I heard the CX-112L. However, just looking at specs, I was surprised that you recommended the Wizzy over the CX-112L. The CX looks to be a more complete cab. But, I guess I don't really understand what the whizzer dual-cone thing is. Why do you prefer the Wizzy over the CX?

The Accugroove seems to be a top vote getter in the "other" category. I think I've got to try one of those out.

Again, the Berg 2x10 is calling my name.... must... not... succumb... :help:

Thanks, again for the thoughts! I appreciate it.

- john

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The CxL-112 is a very nice cab, and it is more extended in the lows and in the highs compared to the Wizzy, but it is also somewhat scooped in the mids compared to the Wizzy. Side by side, the Wizzy sounds much more full and "complete" to my ears, though the CxL-112 is even more clear and precise.

That Bergantino 2x10 is also a very nice cab! Of course, if you are venturing into 2x10's that opens up a whole new world of choices! :p

13. crawfoj

crawfoj

Jun 28, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Once again, thanks for your thoughts. Digging around a bit, I definitely found a pattern in your 1x12 preference. Guess it wasn't too difficult... ;) One concern I would have, though, is the 4 ohm load in the event my needs change and I'd like to add another cab.

While I'm trying to remain focused on the 1x12 concept (I really don't need volume), I'm easily distracted by decent deals on other options that come up. So, I am cautiously eyeing the Bergantino 2x10.

Having "no reason" to need a 2x10 (I'm assuming it's gonna have a bit more volume) and not looking for the extra weight, from a sound standpoint, how would you compare the Bergantino 2x10 to these 1x12's? I could always keep the volume down... :) Which is an interesting thought, actually. Are there particular cabs/brands that also excel even at lower volumes? Or, conversely, those that fare poorly when low?

Thanks, again!

- john

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Those are excellent questions! Of the cabs mentioned so far, most of them fare pretty well at any volume, IMHO, with the exception that the Epi T-112 likes to have a lot of headroom to keep the lows tight at higher volumes. At lower volumes this is not an issue.

As for the Bergantino 2x10 (is is the HT210 or HT210s?), I really have not compared my HT210 to a 1x12 as a single cab option. In fact, I tend to just use it along with my HT115 (which is another option to consider!). So, I will leave that question out there to those who have gigged with a solo HT210 and/or compared it to a 1x12.

Tom.

15. crawfoj

crawfoj

Jun 28, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you. I have always considered myself a credit to the completely ignorant. ;)

It's the Bergantino HT210 is the available cab. I have seen a number of posts talking about the HT115 being a very good cab used as a single. A full sounding cab with surprisingly good highs. If I come across one, that might be interesting. But, I'm guessing it's 60lbs+... :meh:

Whatever decision I make, I just hope I am able to be patient enough to make/find the right choice. I'm a glutton for information. Hopefully, that will slow me down!

Thanks for the help, Tom!

- john

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    John, I have a single 12 cab (GKneo1112) Bergie HT115 and HT210.
    The Berg HT210 compared to my 112 obviously goes deeper and gives me more sound when needed. Its a pretty "balanced" sounding 2-10 cab.
    To me, its a weight thing. If I can clearly get away with using the single 12 and I'm feeling a little "flabby" (cue old Saturday night live episode with Hanz and Franz) I'll be carrying the lighter single 12 down the stairs that night. The Berg is mighty, and the berg at 65 lbs. is definitly heftier. But to your question, playing that cab solo is a joy. The quality of the horn and other components is undeniable.
    I use the HT115 solo more often because: it's lighter, it sounds great, different than the 2-10-not better-different flavor, and I can beat the dickens out of it if needed and it stays under control. The 210 has a slight mid scoop (slight) that lends a less "round" sound than the HT115 which is another reason I prefer the HT115.
    Without question, on a large stage both Bergies stack together well and produce a cohesive large warm punchy clean sound. The combination of the two makes quite a statement.
    Tom's the guy in the end I'd take my ques from especially regarding the single 12's, but thats my experience in a nutshell.
    If you have a choice between a Berg HT115 and other 1-12 cabs in the $400-$500 price range on the used market, you couldn't go wrong with the HT115. Not much heavier than 1-12's, better overall range and incredible tone overall.

Have fun.

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use an Eden WT-550 with a Bergantino HT112. Great little rig - and loud. I do jazz and rock gigs with 6 strings as well as big band on upright. It all sounds good.

18. I greatly endorse the Berg HT112, especially with a Berg Ex on the bottom or the mentioned Epi T112. The little HT is my main "little" cab of choice for small gigs or rehearsals. Sounds great through my WWU or TF550. I also endorse the HT115 which I haven't used much but it sounds great. I did try it with my friends HT210 and we were both very very impressed. My friend actually liked the HT115 better and on top of the HT210. Too many choices.....

19. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have both the epi 112UL, and the berg 112ht. The epi has
    more lows than many 2x10 boxes with loads of articulation.
    The berg has a rich warm and punchy low to high mid range,
    with a sweet high end. The epi want to be loud. The louder the better. The more power the better. I think the berg 112ht
    would be a better box for bedroom and small quiet gigs. I'm
    still trying to see the wizzy love. Its small and light, but
    nobody I played with liked it, including me. Perhaps it was the
    amp I was using. (AI Focus) The epi and berg had much more
    going on with tone and versatility, again with the Focus.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm with ya, so far! :p

You know, now that you mention it, several of the people whom I know that have tried Wizzy's and not been impressed were using AI heads. Maybe that's just not a good combo? I use mine mainly with my iAMP 800 or WWU, though it sounds good with my Walkabout, too.

Tom.