Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 1X15??? I Need Help Here!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I just Tried my goliath 210 at my local music store with a hartke 3500, and a hartke 115TP. Damn loud, but to tell you the truth, as much sound as the hartke 115 projects, I still don't like the hartke cab sound. Love the swr. I need a good 115 to get some more watts and low end. Here are my 2 choices in the $380 range:
    SWR Workingmans 1x15 with tweeter
    Eden D-115 with tweeter.
    I NEED YOUR HELP!

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I bought one of these. It rocks and sounds amazing with my Hartke HA 3500!!!!!!!!
    Link
    :rolleyes:

3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    alright quad, you gut me convinced, but i need your absolute true oppinion. Is it really all that great of a cab? $199 !?! it looks a bit simple, but i guess looks can be decieving. I want everything, sound, protection, is it carpet or tolex?

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The speaker alone in that box goes for better than $110... Looks like a pretty good deal to me!

-robert

5. Quadzilla

Let me take some digital pics and upload em. It is carpeted similiar to my Carvin. The corner protectors match SWR's. The Eminence Kappa is not a cheap speaker like rllefebv said. Let me take some good pics and post em. That way you can have a better look....

6. Quadzilla

One
    [​IMG]

7. Quadzilla

Two
    [​IMG]

8. Quadzilla

Three
    [​IMG]

9. Quadzilla

Four
    [​IMG]

10. Quadzilla

Five
    [​IMG]

11. Quadzilla

Six.....Finally the last one :)
    [​IMG]

12. Quadzilla

My matching Avatar 4x10 (with 4 Eminence speakers also AND Foster horn and Mylex crossover w/ volume control) will be here Monday. The Laney sold on Ebay (well the loser has not paid me yet :). Out with the Laney 4x10 and in with the Avatar 4x10 next week :) Once I have that, I'll have $1050 TOTAL invested in this rig. This includes the shipping! Thank god for Avatar and also Ebay (for the Hartke, rack, Aphex, Furman, etc). Not bad for 1k eh?

Quad

13. Quadzilla

Ok now on the very short review. I have owned and sampled alot of cabs (Ampeg, SWR, Peavey, Laney, Carvin, etc). This Avatar sounds better than the Peavey and Carvin 15" that I have owned and sampled. I'd say it's on par with the SWR (the highend SWR, not the workingmans) and very close to the Ampeq. It is very very loud and powerful. I hair punchy for a 15" and not too boomy. It rattled my whole house (in a good way) without farting. Bottom line, it's a great sounding cab especially for the $$$$$ :p :p
    Fred

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    DCJazz, I'm not surprised that you don't like the Hartke Transporter 1x15. I've never heard of anyone that has liked that cab.

Also, I don't know anything about Avatar enclosures, but the 15" Eminence Kappa is a great speaker! I have a 4-ohm 15" Kappa loaded into an SWR Workingman's cabinet and it provides a tight, focused, and full sound.
    If the Avatar cabinet is designed and built well, then an Avatar with an Eminence Kappa should rock!

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Excuse me for not being smart :D but what does a power conditioner do? and what's the the middle thing in your rack? :confused:

16. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I can say one thing....
    Nice rack:p

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Power conditioner = glorified power strip and surge protector.

Good if you have lots of fiddly equipment that's sensitive to the variations in mains current.

18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It makes your power smooth, shiny, and manageable :D .

Here's a link to the Furman site if you want to read their info. -
    http://www.furmansound.com/PC15A.html

19. Quadzilla

It is a Aphex Aural Exciter model 104 C2 with Big Bottom. I tell you what, most guys that have the Aphex Aural Exciter or the competing product, the BBE Sonic Maximizer won't play with out em. It makes a HUGE difference. Truly "fattens" up the sound. Got mine on ebay for $100. I see them going for about $85-$120 depending on the model, etc...

On to the power conditioner. The power conditioner is what they say, a glorified power strip. It does have a couple cool features though. I does "condition" power thus cutting down on "noise" but even better than that BS that it has these cool lights that pull out and shine down on your rack so you can see your controls and bottons on a dark stage during a gig. They have em over at musiciansfriend.com for $69 Link . Oh, it looks cool too :D :cool: ;)
    Quad

20. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Furman power conditioner
    Hartke 3500
    3 space rack
    SWR Goliath jr.
    Avatar 1x15 (stick some casters on there and some portability)
    total: $1200
    And just to think i'm only 14. ha ha