Which 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Circus, Nov 4, 2003.

1. I want to add a 115 to my new yorkville xs400 head, and xc410 cab. I was wondering if I should stick with yorkville? or go to a mesa, eden, ampeg, or something of that sort. I dunno, I was always kinda atracted to mesa bass equipment. My dream rig is the mesa 210 and 115 with the 400+ head they have at L&M. Just doing some initial surveying.
  2. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You know what they say about opinions. Some people like 10s, some like 15s.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yorkville? Never heard of it. Would buying a Yorkville be advantageous in terms of price, or sound? Or resale value? If not, go with your dream rig. Just realize that today's dream may become a new dream tomorrow:)

I've been doing this bass playing stuff for about 30 years now, and during that time there have been periods as long as two or three years, during which I searched for my "dream rig" (or at least something that sounded "acceptable", and that could do what I needed it to do sonically).

At times like that, what I generally find is that I go through a lot of gear very quickly until I find something I can use. My turnover rate goes sky high for a few months, while I try everything new under the sun, until I find something that works.

That's obviously a little difficult to do when I don't have a job (so that's one way that a couple of months can stretch into a year or more), or when I have specialized requirements and I can't find anything that will do what I think I want.

So my advice would be, if your budget will allow it, try "everything". A good way to go easy on the budget is to buy used gear (on eBay or elsewhere), and then if it turns out you don't like it you can probably sell it for just about what you paid for it (and the difference will be the "rent").

That being said, my favorite 15" cab for bass is the BagEnd S-15. It's not "spectacular" in terms of the lows or highs it will deliver, but it sounds great "where it matters", and it's reliable and VERY hard to kill, and it's reasonably small and lightweight (they make 'em "modular", so you can use as many or as few as you need for a particular gig).

Over the years I've found that those factors (reliability, transportability, etc) are every bit as important as "sound". When you're playing a loud gig in front of a thousand people, no one's really going to be listening to the nuances of your sound. Your groove is going to be way more important. I used to pay megabucks for cabs that deliver a "sweet" treble sound, and what I've found is that it only really matters for recording (and in that case you can do just as well going straight through the board), because when you're live people are expecting you to play "bass", and I've found that it's far more important for me to be paying attention to the "bass" than something no one's going to hear anyway over a loud drummer and a Marshall stack).

So, there you go, two pennies for free...
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    BIG BagEnd fan!!!

My 3 main rules on purchasing a rig:

Rule #1 - Prioritize your funds toward the highest quality cabs. They are the hardest to sell off and will lose the most in resale vaule so invest in something you'll keep.

Rule #2 - Go for a rack system. Swapping out a preamp will have the most impact on your tone for the least money.

Rule #3 - You can never have too much power. Get the most you can afford (after you invest in the best cabs you can get).

You can't go wrong with BagEnd. I have the S15B-D. Great as a stand-alone cab for medium gigs where I need good bottom. Very pronounced and clear for a 115. Stick my 210 (D10B-D) on top and I've got a killer rig for any sized room. Great for Bi-amping my signal focusing the low to low-mids on the 115 and the hi-mids to highs on the 210.
  6. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a Bergantino 15 that is sounds tight, is rugged and portable. Works as a standalone but sounds kind of dark by itself. BagEnd are nice and portable too. One factor you have to consider is the size of the cab. For example, old school 15's are typically in a larger cabinet (about the same dimensions as a 4-10). Many of the newer 15's are in a smaller sized cabinet, which reduces weight and sounds less "boomy." If you are playing large rooms and outside shows, the large format 15 and a 4-10 are a time tested stage rig. If you are playing small to medium clubs, go for the small format 15. Keep in mind that a 15 will "throw" the sound much further than a 4-10. On stage the volume may not sound very high, but you could be killing the people in the back of the room with the 15. If simply more on stage volume is what you need, consider adding a second 4-10 (in that case stick with Yorkville) or even a 2-10.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My vote also goes to Bag End! The S15D is an awesome cab.
  8. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you want to be known as the guy with the killer bass sound, you want your rig to be as quiet in the house as possible, so it can be hot in the PA without a bunch of squirrely EQ to try to compensate for all the bass rig mud that's filling the room. I have never heard a bass sound that was truly good in the house when the bass rig was any bigger than a 1x12.
  9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Me too. The cab is affordable, light, compact, and sounds great. This cab really fills a room, and fills it well.
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    This is one (often challenged) point of view; still valid, but some people disagree with this opinion.

There's a great thread that touches on these type options for getting good sound at a gig...;...oh, yeah and it's HERE.
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I would go for the Yorkville, simply because Yorkvilles are very efficient, and sound awesome. And they also look like no other. In this crazy world of people hauling around Ampeg and SWR crap, there is a uniqueness to yorkville not only in sound, but appearance. And i'm sure u'd like a matching 15 to your 410.
  12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    btw Circus, will we be getting a review of the XS400H along with the XC410? :confused:
  13. Hmmm, doing a review never even entered my mind, never even attempted before, but maybe I can do one.
  14. ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Mesa Mesa Mesa. If that is the way you are wanting to go anyhow, why not get started.

I run a Mesa 4x10, 1x15, and an M-Pulse 600 (close to what your dream rig is). I love it.

Lots of posters here said Bag End, that would be my second choice. Had one, liked it, but a bit honky. Alone they sound great, but as that additional 15 inch thump they seem to lack (in my opinion - and that is all it is, just an opinion).

I had only a 4x10 to start, and added the 15 to get fuller bottom. If I followed the posting as to why NOT get another cab - use your volume knob to keep your stage volume at an acceptable level. The 15 will add some shake that you can feel on stage even at low volumes.
  15. Yeah, I will get either a mesa or yorkie 1x15, it would be nice to get a mesa, but I did just buy this rig last week, and am not going to replace the head or 410 for quite some time. So, I will probably just get a yorkie. I've got some time to think about it.
  16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    While you're thinking about it, a review would be nice. ;) :bassist:
  17. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you are looking for a good 15 to add low end, it might be a good idea to try a PA sub.
    If you are running a full range 4x10 anyway, a full range 15 might be too boomy.
    PA subs tend to be tuned lower than full range Bass cabs.
    If you do try out subs in a store, try to compare it the Bass cabs they have and listen for the tonal difference. Chances are a PA sub won't have the highs but may put out thumpier lows (but cheap subs may not).
  18. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's why I like the Acme cabs. They go lower than most bass boxes and many PA subs, plus they have much better mids and highs than any box I've heard. (Most PA subs are junk - they get LOUD, but they have so much distortion that when you put 40Hz in, you get as much or more 80Hz and 160Hz out as 40Hz.)
  19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I don't think he'll need any thumpier lows, as that 410 goes down to 41Hz anyways. :eek:

And besides, who can resist a stack that looks this cool?!? :D
  20. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay, now I've heard of Yorkville. I read on another thread that they're kind of the "Canadian Peavey". Which is good, Peavey makes some nice gear, and it's reasonably priced too.

Boy this forum is a wonderful thing, I've been playing bass for about 30 years now and it never ceases to amaze me how great gear can remain under the radar screen for so long. Just when I get to thinking that I've seen it all, a thread like this comes along. Keeps me humble! (in a manner of speaking :):):))