Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 2-10? Trading In

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ROCKBOBMEL_old, May 30, 2001.

1. I'm looing for more PUNCH!!...I am using an Eden D-215-XLT and an Acme Low B-2 II. I'm convinced there is a more bass friendly (Less Hi-Fi) cab out there. I want great tone (Of course), and something that really dishes out the low, low mids. I somehow feel that a front ported cab would help, and something more efficient. I'm looking at Bergantino, Aguilar, Bag End, and Eden (In that order).
    I would like some advance comments so to help make an educated decision.
    I also want this cab to use with a 100W Ampeg head sometimes. The Acme totally craps out this amp. It needs lots of power, (Which my stage rig has).
    Thanks, Bob M.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi, Bob,
    As you may recall, I have the Eden D215-XLT, too. I find that it has great low bass and decent low midrange, as well as the treble end covered. Its only weak area, IMO, is in the upper mids. I compensate for that with a Carvin 2x10 on top, and it works very well for my music (passive Fender basses doing funk, soul, R&B, jazz, and blues - both finger style and slapping).

I auditioned an Eden 210T in a music store and it was really sweet sounding - a decently fat (but not overwhelming) bottom, too, and a very nice overall balance. It would go well with the 215, I think. I'd seriously consider it if I didn't already have a 2x10. It had a beautiful midrange tone - even better than Eden's 410s, it seemed to me.

Another consideration is stacking. My 2x10 is slightly wider and doesn't have the interlocking corners. If you go with a different brand, you may have the same problem. On the other hand, the Eden cabinet would perch perfectly on top of your 215 and match it in appearance, too. (I can't say I'm too enchanted by Bag End's aesthetics, BTW.) It would both look and sound really great.

- Mike

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I'm also lookin' at some 2x10's. Not sure what to go for though. I'm lookin' for somethin to accent my Sunn 300T and 2x15 cab. Price doesn't really matter for now cuz I ain't gonna be doin' no purchasin' for a while, but what would ya'll recommend?

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I just did a fairly extensive search of 2x10 cabs by most of the "major" cab companies, and I'll post what I came up with. In my research I did the sizes of the cab so I could compare how it would "stack up" with my existing stack:p. I got all of this info directly off of the respective company's pages, so I would hope the info is correct;)

Eden D-210T - 250 watts/4 or 8 ohms
    23 x 17.5 x 18.5 - $720

Eden D-210XLT - 350 watts/4 or 8 ohms
    23 x 19.5 x 18.5 - $830

Mesa PH or RR 210 - 300 watts/8 ohms
    Must call Mesa for info, will do tomorrow (707) 778-6565

Eden N-210P - 225 watts/4 ohms
    23.75 x 16.25 x 16.25 - $464

Ampeg 210HF - 200 watts/8 ohms
    18 x 24 x 16 - ??

Ampeg PR-210HF - 300 watts/8 ohms
    17 x 26 x 19 - ??

SWR GJ-III - 350 watts/4 or 8 ohms
    23 x 15.75 x 16.5 - $749

SWR WM-210T - 200 watts/8 ohms
    23 x 17 x 16.25 - $499

Gallien-Krueger 210RBH - 400 watts/8 ohms
    23 x 20 x 15.5 - ??

Gallien-Krueger 210RBS - 200 watts/8 or 16 ohms
    23 x 27.5 x 18 - ??

Now for all you high end users and people who just want somethin' to complain about, here ya go:D

Aguilar GS-210 - 350 watts/8 ohms
    22.5 x 18.5 x 16.625 - $799

Epifani T-210 - 400 watts/8 ohms
    23 x 18 x 17.5 - $1050

EA VL-210 - 500 watts/4 or 8 ohms
    23 x 19.5 x 16 - $1250

EA CXL-210 - 600 watts/8 ohms
    22.75 x 17 x 15 - $995

Bergantino HT-210 - 400 watts/8 ohms
    18 x 22.75 x 18 - $999.99

That's all I've dug up for now. And ya'll don't feel too special that I typed all this up, cuz I did it mainly for my own good;):D

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Did I really leave everyone that speechless?:p I'm still in search of the 2x10 to go along with my Sunn, but that 4x10 is lookin' better and better by the minute:D

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    IMHO its Eden hands down. I have two 410's and the tested best for my needs. My sound is huge since I added them. BTW they sit on top of 118's each.

Mike

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have the Eden 210xlt and the Bag End D10-XD. The Eden is 8 ohms and the Bag End is 4 ohms( this is the only way that you can get the Bag End 2-10). To be honest with you, I haven't done a side by side comparison. I'll have to do that today.

Right now if I had to give up one it would probably be the Bag End just because I really love the tone of the 210xlt coupled with my Eden 115t. It sounds huge and looks great together. Also the fact that it's 8 ohms makes it easier mix two cabs together for a 4 ohm combination. I do feel that the Eden can't handle the power that the Bag End does and the Bag End is smaller and a bit lighter in weight. The Eden has a tweeter control which the Bag End doesn't. I usually turn the tweeter off but it's kinda nice having that option.

I've spent quite a bit of time with the SWR Goliath jr. and found that it wasn't even near to my liking as the Eden or Bag End. I was at an Aguilar/Eden/SWR dealer a short while back and the guy there told me that the Aguilar was VERY close in tone to the Eden. Odd thing was he wouldn't plug that thing in and let me try it out.

If you are interested I can email you my thoughts of the two cabs after doing a side by side this afternoon. Just drop me an email.

9. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    That's funny, I must have gone to the same store. One of the staff told me that Aguilars are closest to Eden in sound, but they keep them in the back where it is difficult, if not impossible, to try them out! I suspect the GS-115 and GS-210 would outperform the Edens and at a lower price, but in order to find out I'll have to put the staff through quite a bit of gear moving.

I'm not sure why Aguilars are not marketed as hard - anyone have any ideas?

JerryJ - please post your comparisons if you will - I'd like to hear them, too.

Nightbass

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    My ears are ringing but here's the deal. I will start of by noting that I am a big time Eden nut. I've found almost nothing that does it for me more than Eden.

I hooked up my Lakland through the Eden Navigator going though the Crown CE 1000. So we're looking at 1100 watts into 4 ohm and about 900 into 8 ohms. Did I mention that my ears were ringing?? I turned off the compressor and the enhance and set everything to flat on preamp and bass. I moved the tweet control on the Eden around just to get different flavors. I usually turn it off when it's alone but go about halfway when it's sitting on the Eden 115t.

Hands down and no questions asked I'd take the Bag End 2-10 seriously over the Eden. The Eden started to crackle a little on the B string which scared me so I had to back it off. This was pretty darn loud at this point. The B.E. just kept going but I didn't give it anymore since the house was rattling so bad. It kept it's clarity through all of this though. It is rated at 800 watts peak which I'm certain that I was no where near.

I started futzing with some of the tone controls and the B.E. still retained a tight growly bottom with the B stiring. I will say that I liked the growl a bit better on the Eden but just the same the B.E. as no slouch in the growl dept. I rolled the pickup selector to the back pickup and got a nice Jazz bass tone. Then went toward the front pickup and got that gutbucket thump not unlike my old P bass.

When I bought the Bag End (it's the smaller 2-10 which I think has been discontinued) I compared it to and EA 2-8. The EA blew the Bag End away in articulation and clarity. The EA just wasn't as efficient and just a little too HiFi for my style of playing. It of course wasn't as loud which may have had something to do with it. That EA would be my choice for upright bass and doing jazz gigs. For my style of tone and playing I tend more toward the colorations found in the Eden and Bag End speakers. My basis for great tone is my mid 60's Ampeg B15-N.

Just for grins I left the setting the same and plugged into my Bag End S15X-D. It seemed to handle the punishment better than the Eden did also. Gosh I love my Bag Ends now even more. My issue with the BE's is that they are small so they look precarious with a rack system sitting on them besides being a bit more unstable. I quite often just take my S15 with an Eden WT-500 and I have trouble seeing the Korg tuner.

So bottom line is Bag End 210 is now officially my favorite 210 config. I will have to put it up against my old stalwart SWR Goliath II 4-10. I'll bet that it will clobber that cab too. Maybe I need to look into trading the Goliath in for the Bag End 4-10.

The shop that had the Ag/Eden/SWR stuff was in the Dallas area. I was pretty put off by the guy there because he blatantly refused to hook up the Aguilar 210 and really shot down the Bag End stuff in general. The Aguilar 210 was slightly less expensive than the Eden 210.

Please keep in mind that this is my personal opinion YMMV!

11. Here's what happened. I drove 2 hrs. to try some cabs.The cabs were. 1) bergantino 2-10 2) Eden 2-10XLT, Bergantino 3-10 against my Acme LowB-2. The head was a Fender Bassman 100 (Tube), and an Ampeg 350W SS.
    First I plugged in the Acme to get a feel what was what. Theb the Berg 2-10. The Berg was more directional and tighter/louder. The tone was great very smooth 1" Horn with a throat not the standard tweeter. The Eden was different, but sounded just as good maybe with less sweet treble. Very Edeny.
    Then the 3-10. WOW! This is a different animal!! This is the best sounding cab I have ever heard. Period. And solid, loud & tight. No farting B string. Very. Very sweet. No need for 4-10s here.
    They wanted $1000. for the 3-10, $750. for the 2-10, and $400 for the Eden (Used)
    For half the money, I got the Eden. Also it matches the D2-15XLT. Someday though, it will be the 3-10 + the 2-10 Berg, or maybe the 3-10 + the 2-12.
    OH, BTW, we hooked up the Bassman to the 2-10 & the 3-10.
    Aarrruuuggghhh, sioled myself.
    These are very effecient cabs.
    They did not cary Aguilars.