1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which : 2 1x12 versus 2 2x10 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cycler, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cycler

cycler

Oct 6, 2010
    OK, I;ve spent way to much time on all sorts of threads here and appreciate the obsession, having recently ported over from the Gear Page (I must own 30 guitars and a dozen amps.....)

I'm down to a need to make a final decision for cabs. The situation is I'm new to bass for this gig, a female fronted 80's band doing the pop and funk side, not the hair band rock stuff at all. Clubs will be small to med and rehearsal room is up a flight of steps. I'm 58 with an iffy back.

I'm going back and forth between a pair of Berg 2x10's or 1x12's. Bass is a Fender Deluxe jazz ( USA ) and unsure of the head yet, probably MB F500 or such. There are no options to audition anything around here other than MB, GK and Ampeg.

So, here is my question. if money were no object all would a a pair of 2x10's or a pair of 12's interest you more for this kind of gig ? ( I don't want to move a 4x10 or similar)

I appreciate the groups thoughts on the matter.

2. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    If you tell us a little about what you've use and what you like/dislike about those, it would make any recommendation more meaningful...

3. vertically stacked 210's will likely be slightly louder and closer to your ears and are usually more tight sounding. The 12 stack will be a bit lighter and usually gives a slightly more open full sound compared to the 10's...

I am however generalizing IME here, so if you could give us some specific brands/models you are looking at you will probably get some more accurate feedback

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Based on my very recent acquisition of some Berg 12s (in a 212), I'd say go with the 12s for the sake of your back. This, and I've always been a 10s guy. But my Aggie 12s sound great, too.

5. cycler

cycler

Oct 6, 2010
    Nothing at all yet ( well a SWR Workingman 15 in the rehearsal hall that is just awful ) as this is a brand new band and I've been strictly guitar player until this gig. The question is simply the pop/ dance music , all 80's, and if there would be any meaningful difference with same manufacturer cabs of 2 12's versus 2 2x10's. In other words does the more focused mids strength of the 10's mitigate for or against this type of music versus 2 single 12's and I am favoring Bergantino cabs either way at the moment. Why ? Because I can and am aware of the different models in that line. thanks

6. cycler

cycler

Oct 6, 2010
    Great advice and seems to support my uninformed gut feeling on the matter; that I'd be happier with 12's.

7. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    So, what did you ever decide and what was the result?

8. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    also curious..Ive been tryin to find out for awhile now.

Havent had chance to try out 12's really.

But..
    I've heard that 12s are "midrangey" compared to 10s..
    AND I've heard they're "scooped" sounding...compared to 10's.

What is the truth?
    (generally speaking..same mfg. and whatnot)

9. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    I also just tried some searches but it's a tough topic to put into a topic title I guess because I keep coming up with nothing. I have always used a single 4x10, couple 2x10's cabs or either with a 1x15 cab but have zero experience with 12's. I always consider them the domain of guitar players but I know that's dumb. I would like to know what a 12" offers relative to the 10's and 15's. What is their characteristic sound (if any) vs. the others.

10. cycler

cycler

Oct 6, 2010
    I got the GB 2x12 cab. Not too heavy but enough that I'm thinking a 1x12 x2. It's REAL deep and round and almsot too much so for copping some of the 80's dance materiel i have to learn. THe RH 450 head's EQ gives me somehting to work with though and the 2x12's are gret for the synth bass stuff I have to cover too.

Running Mainstage into it for synth bass VI's too. cool.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Which Genz Benz 2x12? The Uber? Or the NeoX? :meh:

MM

12. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups