Which 2 bassist had the biggest impact on your style ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Trevor Dunn and Les Claypool...some Stanley Clarke falls through though

2. Early on: Traa Daniels from POD and Steven Dail from Project 86. Ahh, nu metal...

Nowadays I'm a lot more influenced by John Paul Jones and Geddy Lee, although I really don't play much like either of them.

3. when i started playing bass i was mad on the offspring so i learned their first 3 albums by heart so one has to be greg k

second will have to be tim commerford (ex rage against the machine, audioslave) learned loads of ratm stuff which gave me loads of confidence in my playing and was a great boost for me

i'll probably change my mind soon

4. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Rocco Prestia - creates great pocket grooves without oversimplifying

Sean Malone - underrated fretless groover, soloist, and arguably one of today's best musicians amongst bassists in my own books.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    geddy lee and stanley clarke.

6. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    It used to be Paul Mccartney (still is in many respects) and the Duran Duran bassist (I forget his name)

Now however, I find myself influenced by a plethora of bassists, ranging from Wooten through to Matt Freeman. Of that wide range, I'd have to say that my 2 main influences at the moment are Ben Kenny (Incubus, former guitarist; the roots) and Matt Wong of Reel Big Fish (I think is his name)

7. Albot

Albot Sonoran Fury!!

Sep 12, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    John Entwistle and Bootsy Collins

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    James Jamerson and Paul Chambers.
    ---with Duck Dunn and Scott Lafaro as the "runner-ups." :bassist:

9. mhart

mhart

Jan 19, 2003
    Daleville, Ala. USA
    My influences are too numerous to narrow down to two. But since we're talking only two choices, I'd have to say Nathan East and James Jamerson. I like the way these cats nail the pocket. Not to mention their tasteful "groovability".:cool:

10. Excellent Question.

In the beginning Claypool really helped me to discovcer aspects of bass, moreso making it a lead or more upfront insturment. I didn't really listen to much Bassy music when i started. Oh - how can i forget? Matt Freeman of Rancid proved to me bass was viable in punk rock.

Nowadays i don't really seem to have much influences. Don't get me wrong, I respect many players and i use adn combine licks all the time, but i wouldn't say there is one player who i'm protegeing.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I also hear some Chris Squire in your playing.

12. No shadow of a doubt - John Deacon is number 1. Just listen to some of the stuff he plays on Love Of My Life and Millionaire's Waltz and you'll understand...

Number 2 is Billy Sheehan.

I got my taste from Deacy and my flash from Billy!

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Frank Bello-Anthrax
    Geddy Lee-Rush

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    First of all, Stuart Hamm. I've copped everything off this guy. Slap style, chordal grooves and melodies, tapping, the guy is a legend. Not only is he brilliantly accomplished in a technical sense but his grip of melody is astounding, especially in his earlier solo works. A fantastic player! You can tell just by listening I love him, I often borrow licks or put his kinda spin on something I hear in my head.

Secondly Geddy Lee, specifically between 1986-1991, and there, specifically between Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. The way he holds the groove but with such flair and style...wow! I try to get that, I like to play melodies with my bass, even when I'm holding it down, just like Geddy does. His choice of notes is perfect, and, like Geddy did in this period, I am constantly doing runs and fills to "fill out" the sound of the music I make.

Sorry I couldn't get a shot of him with a Wal.

r16007a.jpg

15. Eland

Eland

Mar 4, 2004
    Denmark
    Tony Levin and Paul McCartney
    Both serves the song really really well without beeing boring

16. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Technique = billy sheehan, i learn the 3fingerstyle just to imitate him. Flea, I wanted to play bass after I watched him slap the crap out of a bass

Image = nikki sixx, he proves that not all bassplayas r dorks.

style = tetsu of l'arc, awesome bassist. i wanna play like him, rock it out with melodic basslines while still holding down the backline

17. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    Steve Harris and Abe Laboriel

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Excuse me? :eyebrow:

19. Jaco and Flea I suppose. My bass teacher told me he could tell I had been listening to alot of Jaco, at least:D .

20. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Jack Bruce and Scott Lafaro

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.