Which 2 bassist had the biggest impact on your style ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveonbass

daveonbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    LEO LYONS of TEN YEARS AFTER and GRAHAM MABY of the first three JOE JACKSON records.

There are many players who influenced me over the years, but as far as players who impacted my style and approach to bass playing they came to mind. The first stuff I started learning when I became a player in the 70s was Ten Years After. Leo kinda MOVED when he played, too - which I always thought was cool (see the Woodstock video).

And Graham Maby is awesome, tasty, love his playing on everything but especially the first three JJ records.

And McCartney and Entwistle and Peter Tork and Jaco and Stanley and Victor and Danny Partridge and Matt Freeman and Sid Vicious and Tommy Shannon and Bruce Thomas and the list is never ending...

:eyebrow:

2. sjleland

sjleland

Nov 12, 2005
    Jack Bruce- When I started bass, I never even thought of it as a "support" instrument (playing lines, holding the groove...like most people think of it as) and my more melodic idea of playing fit right in with Jack's playing, so I instantly liked him.

John Paul Jones (along with Bonzo): John not only shaped what I preferred for tone, but his style convinced me I could still play melodic lines behind the guitarist and still fill in a lot of the space in the middle. Also, he recently got me interested in picking up the mandolin.

3. Pick any 2 from:

Jack Bruce
    Nathan East
    JPJ
    Flea

I have picked up stuff from all of them. I've learned from other players but these are the main guys.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    definitely. steve harris was a huge influence too. but geddy and stanley are the big two, i think.

5. from the 3:
    shavo odadjian
    duff mckagen
    billy sheehan

6. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    Troy, NY
    Stanley Clarke , Alphonso Johnson (70's)

Stanley Clarke, Me (80's)

Stanley Clarke , many 80's bass players (90's)

Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller (2000's)

7. Ty Boogie... does stanley clarke influence your playing at all?

8. Geddy Lee & Doug Pinnick. :D

9. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    John Myung

[​IMG]

jm04.jpg

JM is the player I model most of my playing after. He has the unbeatable technical capability to keep up with the likes of John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy, but also has the sense of groove to hold them down. When it's called for, he also leads the band.

Geddy Lee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the greatest players to ever touch the instrument, IMHO. I'd love to be able to someday build up a stage presence like his. :eek: His playing is so incredibly melodic and so undeniably solid.

The traits I pointed out in those guys are what I strive for myself.

10. James Jameson and Flea. I to had to narrow down my influences so I went to the most adept Players with a high dexterity for the Bass.

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Hmm...

1) Trevor Dunn

2) John Wetton

12. 1. Paul McCartney. The way he always plays for the song yet makes his lines melodic have always been an influence.
    [​IMG]

2. Adam Clayton. He showed me that rocking 8th notes can be cool and melodic. I also love how he can shift the mood of the song and how he steers the band when Edge takes off.
    [​IMG]

13. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Cliff Burton and Justion Chancellor

14. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    Formative years (mid-late '60s): the Jacks Bruce & Casady;

since then: Jaco & Manring.

15. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Steve Harris--the reason I picked up bass rather than guitar

Geddy Lee--because he is just fantastic

I know I can only pick two, but Dusty Hill, in his magnificent simplicity, played a big part in my development as a bassist--as did Tommy Shannon.

16. If you heard me play now, Flea and Claypool have influenced my sound and technique the most.

Hopefully one day you will be able to hear Jaco, Bootsy or Jamerson, but I currently do not sound or groove like them enough for you to tell...

...maybe one day. :scowl:

17. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Cactus and Stefan Lessard.

I know the question is which bassists have had the biggest impact on my style, but Mike Stern's guitar playing has been a huge influence on my style.

18. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Jack Bruce
    John Paul Jones

19. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

McCartney and George Porter, Jr. top the list of influences for me. (Honorable mentions to Steffan Lessard and Jamerson)

20. thephilosopher

thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004

Agreed. I hear bass and different ways to play it everywhere I go.

That having been said, James Jamerson is and will forever be number 1. It just doesnt get any better!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.