Which 2 bassist had the biggest impact on your style ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    There have been so many throughout the years that have impacted me in one way or another. I've seen Jaco, Stanley Clarke, Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Geddy Lee....countless others who I admire. There's also countless "unknowns" on You Tube who have skills that are just beyond comprehension and I can't help but admire all of them as well. Can't help but be rather envious of them, to be honest.

Because I'm pretty much a "meat and potatoes" player (and that's all I'll ever be) it pretty much comes down to two players with the first being Paul McCartney. What can I say that we don't already know? Brilliant, melodic, steady with the right phrase and the right note at the right time. Doesn't overplay, doesn't underplay, just does what's best for the song and does it so well.

The second is some unknown who I heard playing in a cover band at an outdoor party two years ago. Can't remember the name of the band, never got his name but WOW!! This guy was amazing. Didn't slap, pop or tap but he ROCKED and FUNKED with his own flair that was irresistable. Played finger style with such authority and with such confidence. Had a sound that just hit you right in the chest too. He also played some very cool and unexpected things in the songs as well. The kind of things that sounded outside of the key but it fit and then he'd slide right back into the key. This guy had a HUGE influence on me.

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I mostly admire innovation, so here are my top 2 along those lines.

Stuart Hamm - First bassist I heard solo that opened my mind to the idea that a bass is not merely a support instrument.

Michael Manring - The bassist that I think has taken the bass the farthest outside the traditional role into a truly original solo soundspace.

3. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    It's hard for me to say, I have loads of influences.
    For me it is probably:
    Jeroen Paul Thessilng. His basslines are very melodic and interesting, more so than the guitar. He really opened my eyes to how a bass can be used to add so much more to a song in melody and structure. My main influence for fretless work.
    Fieldy. NOT for sound but I feel his basslines have taught me how to really bring out the groove (rhythm wise) in songs.

4. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    Scott Reeder and Justin Chancellor. Reeder made me finally pick up a bass after years of daydreaming and playing the handle of my bike riding home from school. After hearing Tool's Lateralus, in a wierd way I almost quit making/playing music, it was/is so good.

Other players have influenced my songwriting etc, but if I had to pick two it's theese guys.

5. Has to be Justin Chancellor and Jason Newsted for me.

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Geezer Butler and Rocco Prestia

also Jaco, Bob Daisley

7. cactusPhan39

cactusPhan39

Oct 17, 2010
    Im surprised no one has mentioned Phil Lesh... maybe not the best chops wise but his phrasing is genius and at 70 years old he seems to be getting better or at least not any worse...

and then of course Mike Gordon... (for me Mike is numero uno)

8. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    Doug Rauch from Santana - 1973

Dave Lario Sr - Long time SF Bay area upright jazz player and good friend R.I.P. - Joe Sullivan - Nob Hill Trio - Lario & Lyles

John Paul Jones

Paul McCartney from his Beatle's days and first solo album
    ( I played a left handed bad-mitten racket at age 5 because of him!)

9. Bongofour

Bongofour

Sep 5, 2010
    Geezer, Geddy, and Les

10. rx2enemy

rx2enemy

Sep 26, 2010
    Dick Lovgren and Mike Watt because they both kill.

11. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Thank You. :)

12. dreasher54

dreasher54

Nov 18, 2010
    Victor Wooten- Showed me how badass the bass can be

Marcus miller- so smooth

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Dunno, but here's a cat that should always get props:

59-2.jpg

14. Got to be honest Geezer and Gene Simmons early on got me started many others injected through out the years to end up with the style I have today. Whatever that is??? I am just glad God give me the ability to play well. RTS

15. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    Justin chancellor and flea.

I get my cathartic aggressive music playing from chancellor, and my funk jamming fun times from flea.

I dont think I'm ever going to make a cohesive album in my entire life.

16. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    I changed my mind. I'll say currently it's Liam Wilson of the Dillinger Escape Plan for keeping it locked down amongst the chaos and his tone gets more beastly with each album. And Ryan Martinie. He adds cool parts and makes the band interesting. NOt sure I'd even listen to them if it weren't for him. And to a lesser extent Dirk Lance in his run with Incubus. I wonder if he's doing anything nowadays.

17. FatCity

FatCity Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    Geezer Butler and Duff McKagan

18. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    geddy_main.jpg

[​IMG]

19. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Thats a killer pic of Geezed I wonder what tour that was from...interesting gear.

20. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Tons of people have inspired and influenced me, but there are two influences that stand out, because they defined pivotal moments in my career:

The first was Paul McCartney, because his melodic bass lines were the first to tweak my ear, and got me interested in electric bass.

The second, was Willie Weeks. I was in first-year College, and overplaying something awful. Then I heard Willie's intro to Linda Ronstad's Blue Bayou on the radio, and was reminded of the purpose of the bass in pop music, and the power of a simple phrase, played with authority.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.