Which 2 bassist had the biggest impact on your style ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Avery and Sergio Vega.

2. CTbass613

CTbass613

Nov 20, 2009
    Connecticut
    TOugh one and great questions..

Dela and Rocco i think...Marcus Miller almost fell into second place before Rocco, but i think I chase marcus's finger style tone (yes finger style not slap!) but Rocco's playing was more important in Shaping how i play. I like to think that when I actually listened to Dela's lines and writing that was the most important part of how i play with bands.

3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Cliff Burton and Robbie Merrill

4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Jaco Pastorius and -excuse me, HEY, YOU KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!-Stanley Clarke......;)

5. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    Steve Harris/Geddy Lee

6. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Willie Weeks and Jack Bruce.

7. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Chris Squire and Roy Estrada

8. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Geezer Butler and Dee Murray during my formative bass playing years.
    Many others since....

9. so many names I dont know, omG!

Too hard to nail to two, so I'll say the two FIRST. Paul McCartney and Geezer Butler. No doubt. I still solo like Geezer at times, although there's wee-bit-o-Vic in the mix now.

Think a punk white kid in the any small city USA circa 1970 when I started to play.

Odd they're both Brits, aint it! ? :)

In current time, Vic and working with Mr. Jamerson's lines as we speak. ( Shadows of Motown disc) Stuff I missed in the 60's and 70's as a kid. Seminal though., Purely seminal work there. As Vic is now, imho.

What's up with the Clarke " kids get off my lawn" thing>? Sounds like my crazy grandma!

Stanley was defintely an early influence, but I didn't cop his lines ( is that how we all learned to play at first, coppin everyone elses lines?) enough for it to stick. Still can't cop Vic's lines. Hope my mechanics still work when I'm 70, maybe by then!

OK, I;m at like 6 now, so I'll shuddap.... cant follow directions...

10. redhot zeppelin

redhot zeppelin

Aug 7, 2010
    They first bass players that influenced me the most when I first started playing was and still is Flea and John Paul Jones

11. BTW, dont care who you are, as long as you're learing this instrument, y'all MUST go back and get with James Jamerson's lines if you havent already. Really. I think they make Berklee 1st years do it.. ALL YEAR. And one of them suggested it to me.

Could probalby say James and Jaco and cover 90% of the bass pallette.

But now I;m at 7.... when my solos dont sound like Geezer, they sound like, well SIMILAR to Jaco's, or so they tell me... its not conscious anymore attall.

Eight is enough.

12. dieterdiettrich

dieterdiettrich

Dec 23, 2010
    Florida
    Every bassist I admire inspires my style from Geddy Lee style guitar mirroring, and Les Claypool slap n strum to Jaco and Jimmy Haslip.

13. hmm just two eh?
    well i would have to say....

james jamerson - for his insane groove and melodic capabilities, he showed me not only can a bass player do its job of holdin the groove and harmony but it can also SING as well

john paul jones - his technique and style is the one i'm always reachin for because to me he is the perfect bassist, not to say he was the best at anything oh no! he wasn't as melodic is jamerson or as hard hittin as steve harris but he did was a bass player did, and he could do it all, like a jack of all trades

realistically? my style is like that of a slightly more melodic version of tim commerford without the hard guttin grooves but he's not really an inspiration of mine

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

For better or worse...

Geddy Lee
    Ross Valory

Later it would be...

Rocco Prestia
    Jimmy Haslip

15. Well, for my style of playing:
    1. Flea, I hear it after every show, eventhought we play blues rock kind of music ^^
    2. Bootsy Collins, great man and coolest player on earth.

16. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Bassist for TRIPL3 THR3AT Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Wow, to narrow it to just 2, way too difficult. There are those that I have played/jammed/performed with over the years that say they can hear a lot of Geezer Butler and Gene Simmons in my playing, and that's no insult as far as I'm concerned. Other DEEP influences include Dennis Dunaway, Tony Franklin, and Billy Sheehan. I can list a bodunkadonk load more players that have impacted my playing as well as my love for the bass in general, but we'll save that for another thread.

17. thomasjbass

thomasjbass Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Highland Heights, OH
    I would have to say Stuart Patrick Jude Zender and a tie between Flea and Les Claypool.

18. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    Justin Chancellor and Dan Maines....

I guess origionally it would have to be Geezer.

19. Flea and Robert Deleo from Stone Temple Pilots were the two biggest influences on my playing. Both players create interesting melodic lines but not busier than they need to be, and have aggressive tones and presence in the mix.
    Deleo's primary influences are James Jamerson and John Paul Jones, so indirectly it goes back to those players.

20. Francis Rocco Prestia, because I find myself using alot of ghost notes when I want things to groove (and i like using his fretting hand technique, even if it is a bit "lazy")

John Paul Jones, because he was the first bassist whose lines I really started to pick apart and learn note for note, and it rubbed off on me

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.