Which 2 bassist had the biggest impact on your style ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Mark King, for introducing me to bass, and Vernon Porter for helping me to refine my style.

2. AudioOUTRAGE

AudioOUTRAGE

Aug 27, 2006
    flea and bill clements. flea for amazing me and bringing me into the bass guitar world, along with the slap n' pop funk style. bill clements for his perseverence. after losing his hand, most bass players would have been stopped there. but he kept his bass playing.

3. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I gotta say George Porter, Jr. and Allen Woody (RIP). Porter for his feel, and Woody for the 16 note pulse thing.

4. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Flea - for teaching me that sometimes the grooviest lines break all the rules.

Juan Alderete - For great compositions, technically being soooo solid and being able to mix the subtleties of any genre in order to flavor his rock basslines, and still be one of the funkiest MF's I ever listened to.

5. Achey

Achey

May 6, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    Firstly, Kristoffer Gildenlow of Pain of Salvation. He wasnt my first "big" bass playing influence, but he is my current main one (bear in mind I am only 17). Its difficult to narrow influences down so much since we are infuenced by just about everything.

Kristoffer.jpg

Secondly, I have gotta say Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, because I went through a 3 year phase of maiden love between the ages of 12 and 15, and I still love them (although I now dislike the lyrics hehe).
    Both great players.

You should all check POS out , they are a great band....

http://www.painofsalvation.com

6. eboe

eboe

Jul 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    really, what is it with all the flea love. is there anything wrong with never playing a slap bassline? cause that's me, to a t. i'm the whitest bass player i know, i have zero soul. i can play a groove with my fingers just fine, but i don't LIKE to.

7. marcopalla

marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    Alphonso Johnson

ausel.jpg

and Marcus

(but I started with Roger Water :bag: )

peace,
    m.p.

8. Martin Mendez from Opeth. Super chops, super tasteful, great fretless skills, cool hair- he's like the Jaco of metal.

I guess the other would be Stu Hamm- although my playing doesn't really sound like his, he was one of the first bassists I heard doing any kind of solo stuff.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    This is very difficult to choose, but probably Geddy Lee and Tony Levin.

10. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Hmmm...
    John Entwistle and Steve Harris.
    Then my firends older brother lent me TALAS.
    I have to make it 3 and add Billy Sheehan.

11. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Eric Wilson (Sublime)- He is the one that made me get out and buy a bass!

ericwilson.jpg

Billy Cox (Gypsie Sun and Rainbows/Band of Gypsies)- Every since I heard the woodstock live CD I've been trying to incorporate a little bit of his style. So laid back yet complex and solid.

[​IMG]

12. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Cliff and Geezer.

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Dee Murray and Rick Danko.

14. alan gorrie. verdine white.

15. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Jack Bruce, and Geezer Butler

16. cosmic53

cosmic53

Jan 20, 2005
    Milano, Italy
    Those who defined bass for me where first Jack Bruce and a decade later Jaco Pastorius. I also drew inspiration from Greg Lake and Chris Squire. Then there are tons of great musicians, but there are the ones that caught my attention in the beginning.
    When I was listening to Hendrix I did not pay much attention to Noel Redding and although I listened a lot to the Beatles, I did not follow intensely Paul Mc Cartney's lines. It was with Cream that I started listening to the bass track.
    And it was after seeing Jaco that I fist considered leaving the guitar.

17. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i think the bass players that i listen to most and have had the biggest inpact on my palying are

Jaco Pastorius

jp.jpg

and Richard Bona

Richard20Bona205c20jnj202003.gif

of course i have a lot of other influences and i dont just sound like these two guys but i think that these two players have done the most for me and my playing

Dave

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Cool guys thanks for sharing ! :bassist:

19. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    I'd love to say Jaco and Manring, but that would imply I was in a class that I don't belong in. Actually it was Macca, for the excellent melody he brought to bass and Sting, who showed me how important the time between notes is.

20. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Steve Harris and Geddy Lee
    followed also by Chris Squire

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.