Which 2 bassist had the biggest impact on your style ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFMV 666

BFMV 666 Inactive

Dec 26, 2010
    Mark Hoppus and Mike Dirnt.

2. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Geddy Lee and Bruce Thomas

3. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Willie Dixon and Paul McCartney

4. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
    lemmy for mojo
    mike watt for ethics
    david wm. sims for sound

in no particular order

5. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    The obvious one is John Entwistle. Without hearing him play I might never have taken up the bass in the first place (Less of the "oh, if only" comments from the back there, please)

The second one is more difficult, as whilst there are a lot of bass guitarists I admire, I'm not sure who among them has influenced my style most of all. However, from the years spent trying to master jazz bass lines, I'm inclined to take advantage of the umbrella term 'bassist' used in the OP and say Ray Brown!

6. ripman3

ripman3

Dec 30, 2009
    Flea and John Frusciante. And Chad Smith.

7. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Lee Sklar and Billy Sheehan

8. Cliff Burton, Geezer Butler and David Ellefson, although mostly just Cliff.

9. Dhrystone

Dhrystone

Mar 24, 2011
    Connecticut
    Initially, it was Cliff Burton and Steve Harris. When I heard "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)" off "Kill Em' All" and "Killers" off the Iron Maiden album "Killers," I was blown away.

These days, two different guys are responsible for my overall style:

1. Steve DiGiorgio. His fretless work is nothing short of amazing. He's the reason I play fretless.

2. Alex Webster. His finger speed and work on the Blotted Science album "The Machinations of Dementia" is incredible. Meeting him years back was one of my life's high points.
    :bassist:

10. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Hate to sound cliche but its honest

Jaco Pastorious- turned me on to fretless, which is all i play now
    Les Claypool- taught me that you can slap on a fretless

Pastorius also convinced me to attempt to learn scales and notes (took me four years to realize this, it was one of those interview videos he did with the crazy alembic and fretted fender on youtube).

also, if i could throw in a third, which i know wasnt asked for... Norwood Fisher of Fishbone, hes so versatile its amazing. Reggae, funk, ska, metal (at times)...anything he needs to play he can.

11. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    i've been playing guitar for 25 years so i have lot's of guitar heros (bass seriouly for 8 months) but i really only have one major bass influence - John Taylor....

on top of that i really dig Geddy, Steve Harris, Flea, The Jamiroquai bassists, Dan Roberts....

12. Most defiantly Steve Harris of Iron Maiden and John Entwhistle of The Who.

13. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    A few days ago it was the two from a previous post on this thread.
    Today, it's Jason Newsted and Chris Squire.

IMO the basslines and tone on 'Justice' were amazing. And IMO one of the best progressive metal albums ever. (one of the best).

Squire is just so melodic, and I his tone is awesome.

As you can see; I love prog rock/metal.

14. Raptor0427

Raptor0427

Mar 27, 2011
    POCONOS
    As an old person but Noob bassist my biggest influence would be Steve Harris. When I Jam with the kids and I explain to them that Iron Maiden dosen't need a Doulble bass drummer because they have Steve Harris. They look at me all confused. Aston Barrett of the Wailers would be next. For the short time I've been playing I can keep up with a lot of Bob Marley's songs and the bass lines still kick ass.

15. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    Marcus Miller & Justin Chancellor. Odd pairing I know but these two are what i draw on the most.

16. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Weird but probably accurate: Chris Squire for my right hand, Gary Thain for my left hand.

17. Tough one,there are tons of players who I consider big influences, but it's hard to say which really had an impact on my style (i.e. I try and nail Geddy Lee licks all the time, but when I play I can't say I play anything like Ged) I'd have to say:

1) Geezer Butler, mainly his phrasing and the way he makes things that are so simple to play sound so cool, I take a lot from his awesome sense of timing and phrasing.

2) John Entwhistle: Tone, tone TONE!!! I would still be plugging away on any old amp with any old pickups if I hadn't ever heard Entwhistle and learned from him the perfect way to fit treble and fuzz into basslines and soloing without making it super annoying and nasally, hahaha

18. lidesnowi

lidesnowi

Jan 29, 2011
    Jaco and Gary Willis

19. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Geddy and Billy Sheehan

20. Party Poison

Party Poison

Feb 6, 2011
    eBay.
    Krist Novoselic from Nirvana and Mike Dirnt from Green Day are the two bassists that I idolized back when I bought my first bass. And I mimiced their playing styles. :p

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.