Which 2 cabinets compliment each other the most..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Sep 15, 2002.

1. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Which of these arrangements would make the most sense for both small and medium sized clubs (1+ floors, balcony, etc)? I'm not really into punchy sound, more clean (at the expense of some gut thud).

Son of Bertha (1x15) + Henry (8x8)
    Son of Bertha (1x15) + Goliath Senior (6x10)
    Big Bertha (2x15) + Goliath 3 (4x10)

then the oddball..

12 Stack (4x12) + Goliath 3 (4x10)

After reading a number of threads regarding these cabs, I'm leaning towards the 1x15 + 8x8. Everyone's saying wonderful things about the Henry.. and the 15 will add clean, 'booming' ;) low end - I think.

I'm also trying to take into consideration which cabinet would be better used individually, and also what would be more appropriate in a jazz setting (ie: the 12s).

(QSC RMX 1450 amp driving)
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the senior doesn't need any other cab.

it's got the booty, it's got the punch, it's got the clarity.

that said, it's a little much for "small to medium" gigs where you have a PA and such. i pretty much got mine because my cabs weren't loud enough when we played outdoor festivals.

maybe a 4x10 and a 15 would be best - that way you can just take the 4x10 to gigs where you won't need all that much volume.
  3. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I should rephrase that to small-medium-large (big college auditoriums, etc - mostly small to medium, but large is there also).

I also play with two guitarists - who between the two of them have 8.. yes, *EIGHT*.. full Marshall and Ampeg stacks (half Marshall, half Ampeg) in addition to all of there acoustic guitar amplification.
  4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    A 12 stack should be able to handle large gigs with 1500 watts of headroom easily.
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    What was the name of your band? Manowar?
    I would suggest 1 half stack for each guitarist and a 115+410 rig (or 410+410) for you. Just MHO of cause...
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Goliath SR+Big Ben.

Yeah, 6x10+1x18. My friend in Hotboxed uses that setup, powered by an SVT 4 Pro. That might do the trick.