Which 200-300W Tube amp for a Bergantino NV610???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Dec 19, 2004.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I play a bunch of different stuff, mostly with a 6-string fretless Carvin neck-through with killer EMG's. I like vintage thump to augment this modern sounding bass.

Here's a list of the used amps I'm thinking about:

Vintage SVT: Pro -- that sound. Con -- weight, price

Trace Elliot V4 or V6: Pro -- less costy. what do these weigh? Con -- can't find one to try. I liked a v-type pre I had once tho.

Aguilar DB369: Pro -- relatively light, clarity Con -- spendy

Was considering the Traynor YBA-200, but it's been pretty badly panned in conjunction with the NV610 I'll be using.

Welcome your comments or suggestions for other amps I should look into. It's always tough to try this kind of stuff before I buy it, but I'll do my best...
  2. Talk to Jugghaid about the Trace Elliot V-Type tube amps. I'm pretty sure he uses a V4 with a NV610.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    If I was going 200 watt I'd look @ the Matamp stuff

Spendy too though.

I went for a Peavey Classic 400 (100lbs but has 1/3 more power then an SVT, channel switching, compressor, switchable FX loop, etc). Out of production but the go often on eBay for under $500

Like yourself I play a fretless 6 mainly and was very close to jumping into an NV series cabinet (was favoring the NV215).... I ended up prefering and going with Schroeders (1210 and a 1212).

I also thought about the Traynor and ended up feeling it wasn't enough for my needs. My 400 watt Peavey has replaced 1000 watts from a Crown CE1000.

Don't forget the Mesa 400+ (or a used 180)
  4. Mesa Boogie Buster 200 all tube head.
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Aguilar DB 728. Step up to the plate and face the monster!
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The V4 sounds great and fat but the Orange AD200B is just magic, so responsive and 3D. Or you could look for a used 200W Hiwatt with KT88 tubes.
  7. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I'm not really sure how much my V6 weighs -- about 50 lbs., I'd guess. It's my fave amp of all time, so I pretty much recommend it.

I also have a Sound City Bass 150, which, although may technically only put out 150 watts, has 4 KT88s, and sounds like pure rock heaven. I do many gigs with it and have no probs with volume issues. It's also my favorite eq.

Another choice might be that new Traynor 200 watter. I don't know anything about it, though.

I second that Mesa Buster 200. Mmmm good.

I'm also desperate to audition the Orange 200. I dig the look cause it's sort of pimpy (as in that fab TV show "Pimp My Amp"). Plus I used to have an Orange 80 and I loved the tone.
  8. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Pimp you say?
    I´ll give you pimp:

The Matchless Thunderchief. :cool:
  9. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Oh man! That is SO beautiful!

Plus it is one amazing amplifier. Certainly one of the greatest tube bass amps. Is that yours?

Why don't more amp companies do colors like that? Are bass players just too damn conservative? Or are we too small a market?

Black is so freaking boring. I think pimp colors are GOOD!
  10. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I wich it was mine. This one was reviewed in the British mag Bassist. That mag is no longer printed. They really liked this amp. BTW the Matchless logo and the letters on the panel lights up when you flick the standby swith. :D
  11. See, the problem here is that all of the amps mentioned in this thread are Awesome..... :D:p

A difficult decision.....

I'm powering my NV-610 with a '76 SVT and it sounds absolutely amazing. I think the NV-610 sounds more like the old Ampeg 810s than the new 810s do....

I'd like to try some of the other amps mentioned here, especially the Matchless and the Trace V-series....

Sorry, I don't think I've been much help here, and I've given myself another case of GAS... :D
  12. Get a used DB359 or the Traynor YBA 200.
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    pimp enough for me :cool:

14. I've got most of the amps on your list a few you've never heard of. I don't have the Bergie cab, but if it's similar to the old SVT 8x10 I have a close point of reference.

I'll commment on your list as applicable to my situation and experience.

I have six of them and quite frankly, as nice as that is, I don't NEED six of them. The prices for SVT's on eBay are retarded of late, especially the guys who detail the "reliability mods" they've had done to them that are pure hack crap to anyone who knows the inside of an SVT.

Also don't let all the whining you hear about their weight scare you so badly. Most rack setups far outweigh an SVT head, which average roughly 90 lbs. (The actual weight varies as much as ten lbs from year to year!) It's not that hard to move around as the handles are actually at useful positions, and it's a LOT easier to deal with than some more modern tube amps of half the weight just because of the way it's built. I also have a Trace Elliot VR400 which weighs roughly 30 lbs less but has front-mounted handles and is MUCH more ungainly.

Chances are you won't. Not that many made it to the US and they have been out of production for six or seven years. What was once an excellent "sleeper" amp is now highly coveted because it mates the classic Fender tone stack to a big tube power section, like having two Dual Showmans in one amp. I have one and it's not going anywhere.

I don't have the 359, but I do have the 728 and I've played a 359 a couple of times. The 359 doesn't have as much volume as you'd think. It's forte is more 'tone' than 'volume.' If you play in a loud band at all, I don't think it will cut it for you.

If you have any other specific amps in mind, just ask. Chances are I have them, or have had them. The only "big tube" bass amps I've never encountered are the Marshall Bass Major (which is NOT the widely known "Major") and VBA400, the Hiwatt DR405, the Phil Jones amp, and the old London Power Spectrum.
  15. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I own a DB359 myself and love it. My band is loud, I've got no problems. I find the tone to be insane. My only complaint is that it's 50 or 60 lbs. It kind of sucks transporting it 2 or 3 times a week.

I was a little nervous when I took the plunge and got it. I picked it up used for about $1000. It's a lot of money for a 16-year old, or maybe just me. Anyway, if you're thinking about getting a DB359 try and find one used and in good condition. You'd be amazed at how cheap you can find them sometimes---especially if you get one from somebody who bought theirs before the prices went up.

Just my 2 cents.......

Oh, there's a 359 on ebay right now for $1600. Not mine, but thought I'd let you know.

Oh, I forgot about the Orange AD200B-----2 words......frickin sweet.

16. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Psycho! I´ve got a question for you if you dont mind.
    What´s your opinion on the new Traynor (Yorkville) 200W amp?
    Also what do you think about the older Trace Quatra/Twin/Hexa Valves?
  17. I have yet to actually come aross the new Traynor, which is on my wish list. I have a buddy who's a Yorkville dealer, but he forgot and didn't order the amp for me when they were first released. If they're anything like the old Traynors, they SHOULD rock.

I have a VA350, which is the same amp as the Hexavalve. It's not as fat sounding in the preamp as other Trace tube amps like the V6, but you can get pretty wild with the graphic EQ. It's definitely one of the most "modern" sounding tube amps you'll ever hear.
  18. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    PBG (or anyone else who knows):

What's the difference between the V4 and V6? The only thing I can see from the schemos is the number of KT-88s. They are both rated at 200 watts.

Was the V4 so unreliable that they needed to add two more tubes?

19. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The V6 is 300W as far as I know. They where both sold at the same time.
  20. Depending on where you read, the V4 is rated between 200 and 220w whereas the V6 is rated for 400w...