Which 210 cabs have more midrange '70's grit?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by um... yeah, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Bergantino

1 vote(s)
  2. Epifani

0 vote(s)
  3. Schroeder

3 vote(s)
  4. Eden

5 vote(s)
  1. Just to beat a dead horse into a frothy paste:

I love my Eden D410T for it's super clean muscular puch and funky snarl. Which 210 cabs would help me out with that, Bergs, Epis, Schroeders? ...or Eden?

I'm getting rid of the 410 because it's just too impractical for little gigs and bear to shlep in and out of clubs etc.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Well if a 4x10 Eden works...a 2x10 should too...shouldn't it?

Maybe an Ampeg SVT210HE?...Avatar B210 with the horn turned off?
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Berg HT210 is smooth. My feeling is that Epifani and Schroeder would be as well, but I've never owned those cabs.

I'd look into Ampeg (as noted above), or maybe something like Mesa/Boogie, Peavey, or even SWR.
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    As Fuzz said the Berg 210 is very smooth. I would say that its got the super clean muscular punch part but not so much of the funky snarl. But i use the ultra clean demeter pre so I dont know how it would sound with something less clean...
  5. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
  6. ...or not. Pumping an SVT 3pro through an Avatar 2x10 at an outside gig yielded way more mids than I wanted(though I usually like mids), maybe it was the lack of low end I was noticing.
  7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I've heard that Bergantino has a new 210 cabinet HT210"S" which is more full range sounding as opposed to the cleaner 'scooped' sound of the original HT210. I don't have personal experience with this, but so I have read. FWIW
  8. Good to know, I have access to them where I live and will definitely give thema try. I'm a big fan of full range as you describe it. ;)
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I find this a little hard to answer. Perhaps it is a semantics issue, but having heard the D410T, I get the "muscular punch and funky snarl" bit, but not the "super clean" descriptor. To me, an example of a "super clean" 2x10 would be the EA VL-210. Schroeder cabs tend to have what I would describe as "muscular punch", but I am not aware of a 2x10 from Jorg. Note: I am incorrect - see below. Jorg does offer the 1010. The Bergantino HT210 is also in the "super clean" category, but the newer HT210S has more punch. The best "funky snarl" I have heard is from the Accugroove Tri 110, but the Tri 210L doesn't have that same "snarl", but it might hit on the rest of your criteria.

Maybe if you gave me some more examples of what you are after I could be more helpful.

10. I was using poetic licence when I said "super clean"; maybe it was a little vague. In case you haven't noticed I'm one of those people currently suffering from chronic GAS, as I've had the same speaker cab for thirteen years now, and I think it's time to put the old girl out to pasture and get a couple of nubile young 210s to replace it. ;)

If you want a reeeally confusing example of what I'm seeking, I'd say I'm looking for something with the vintage grit of my D410T, but in a 210. for some reason I remember trying out the Eden 210 cabs and in all honesty, at the time I wasn't sold on the front firing ports. As a matter of fact, the only 210s I can think of right now that have rear ports are Bag End, another one I'm considering. I plan on checking them out again, however. :D

I've been out of the gear game for years and I find this site to be a great place to check out new gear ideas. Like everybody else I just don't want to miss out on something I might like.
  11. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    How come the Peavey 210Tx didn't make the list. I'll have yall know that this stupid used cab sounded just as good if not better than the brand new Eden cabs I tried it against.
    Just my 1.5 cents :ninja:
  12. At one time I had a Peavey 118 with a Black widow speaker. They can be surprisingly good for the budget conscious.

I've been doing more reading and the 210 I'm most interested in hearing is the Bergie HT210S. From others descriptions in here, it seems these may be worth a demo. And the best part is Club Bass is only a few clicks away from my apartment. :D
  13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You know, that probably is your best bet. The Dr. Bass 2x10 that I have is also fairly close to what you are describing.

As for the Peavey 210TX, I agree that it is a great little 2x10, and I prefered it to Eden and SWR at the time that I bought mine. But, compared to some of my newer (far more expensive!) cabs, it just couldn't compete, which is why I sold it. Still, it was and is a great cab for the money. The horn was gawd aweful, though...
  14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Avatar 210 is probably snarly in the mids I bet since he's using off the shelf stuff. The Berg HT210 is good, but too balanced or sccoped to qualify as snarly.
  15. Hi Tom and happy new year everyone. Just to clarify, the Schroeder line includes a 1010 (700 Watts @ 4 ohm). :)
  16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for correcting me! Sorry about that! I guess when I played through your cabs at Pete's shop, I was presuming that I was seeing all of the current models. A trip to the web page would have set me straight. :rollno: Again, I apologize for making an erroneous statement.

With in mind, um...ster, you should put the 1010 on your short list as well, but keep in mind that it is a 4 ohm cab. So, if this means that you would be considering one 4 ohm Schroeder (versus two 8 ohm 2x10's from someone else), then be sure to check out his entire line. The 21012 was probably my favorite of the cabs I heard.

Again, sorry about the confusion...
  17. +1 of the Schroeder line. HUGE sounding.
  18. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I would give a vote for the Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 2x10. It's rear ported. You could get two of them to give flexibility.

19. You should have had Ashdown on your list. Those are all hifi cabs. The Blue Line drivers are designed with that midrange oomph in mind.
  20. Believe me the Schroeder 1010 would my first choice if I could get in front of one and try it out, no doubt about that.