1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 2x10 sounds like a Mesa Powerhouse?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Antipodean, Nov 16, 2010.

1. I own a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 2x10, which I love... except it's size and weight. Probably the biggest problem is the weight. I'm in the process of (trying to) sell it and replace it with a lightweight 2x10.
    Problem is, I don't have access to test the following, so I would be buying blind (or is that deaf).

I am considering the following:
    Bergantino AE210
    Bergantino HS210
    Epifani UL2-210
    Epifani PS210

There are many descriptive reviews and comparisons of all these, but very few comparing the Mesa 2x10. The only Mesa 2x10 reviews are "awesome", but no descriptions.

Do any of the above cabinets sound similar to the Mesa? I'm not picky enough to want it to sound the same, but similar.
    Does anyone have any experience comparing the Mesa 2x10?

2. Bigduke

Bigduke

Dec 10, 2006
    I have a mesa 2x10. Just get another used one,I personally haven't heard anything that compares with the PH210. It even handles down tuning very good.

3. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    The Epifanis definitely won't sound anything at all like the mesa.

4. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    As cool and lightweight as my Epi410 was, it didn't hold a candle to the tone of my Mesa cabs in my opinion. So I decided to not worry too much about the extra bulk and enjoy the tone!

5. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I think the HS210 is the closest out of that list.

6. Hmmmm. Thanks for the replies everyone :) I think, based on the replies so far, that I may be able to characterise the sound and compare based on comparisons.

But how would the Mesa be characterised? Plentiful bass? Strong low mids? Rounded highs? This is how I think I hear it (the 2x10). Is this how others would describe it? If so, then I am one step closer to being able to understand reviews better.

7. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Are the used ones lighter? :D

:bag:

Sorry, I couldnt resist...
    I have nothing really useful to add...other than the fact that Mesa is really awesome.Theres no denying that.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    size and weight are my last considerations. i tried the micro rig thing for a while and i'm sorry but it just didn't get it for me. the heads are very nice. the cabs...eh...some can be very nice but i always gravitate toward the bigger end of the spectrum when it comes to cabs.

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Never heard the PH 210 or the Berg 210s but the Epi UL210 is quite mid-scooped.

10. and what's the point of an ultra-lite head when you've still got full-size cabs around? I have to chuckle whenever I see a GB shuttle parked atop an 8x10 stack...

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I would agree, looking at that list. The older Berg HT210 comes closer. The MusicMan Audiophile HD-210 is also good. A Glockenklang Duo is probably the smallest/lightest 2x10 that sounds close to the PH210, but that PH210 is a really great sounding 2x10, and it sounds bigger than most of the competition.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's a pretty good assessment. I hear the PH210 as having big, full lows (that stay tight), very strong, but clear, midrange, and sweet highs that are slightly subdued, but up there with the Epifani/Berg if you turn up the tweeter a bit.

13. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Don't mean to derail, but having a large cab in no way negates the convenience of a micro head. If the tone and power a player wants can come from a 6lb head but require an 80 lb cab, why would he use a 40 lb (or even a 20lb) head?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i cannot lie...i have run an lmii with an 810 before. yes, i felt silly, but i can't say i didn't like the sound.

15. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    How does the Golight 210 sound?