Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which 2x10 would you put on top of an old 2x15 Folded Horn cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chunky, Nov 3, 2004.

1. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    So, I'm in the market for a 2x10 to put on top of my giant muddy 2x15. It has to be 4 ohms, so I can run my 300T at 2 ohms. I'm not looking for a huge sounding all in one cab here. Low end is taken care of.

Bringing my rig into a store to try out 2x10 cabs on top of my 2x15 would be a pain. I'd like to avoid it.

Given these criteria, which 2x10s should I start looking at first?

Aguilar? Ampeg? Bagend? EBS? Eden? Epifani? Peavey? SWR?

Have I left anyone out?

2. Eden. If you want to occcassionally record or mic live and don't need that 215, then get the beefier one. Those avatars don't seem that bad, especially for the coin.

On the horn cab, you might want to ask Bill Fitzmauer on updating its driver compliment.

3. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    bassNW has an Eden XLT for $399. If I can sell off some gear here before it goes, maybe I'll go after that one.
    :meh:

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Definitely the Eden.

5. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    Well...the Eden had already sold. :mad:
    I'm looking at an Eden 210 XST now, that I've tried out locally. I'm looking at $700 new. Since I require a 4 ohm cab, I have the impression that I'll be hard pressed to find a good variety of used 2x10 cabs.

So, in the $700 range, wouldja just buy the local 2x10 XST cab, or wouldja drive to Seattle from Portland to try out something else?

I'm pretty close to just pulling the trigger on the Eden. Any voices of reason out there?

:D

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    You have a PM! It's in your best interest to read it quick!!!!!

7. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    You can get mint condition Eden 2x10XLT on ebay any day. This Eden far excells any 2x10 I've heard including, SWR, Ampeg and Peavey. Actually, no comparison. The Eden is what I would hold out for, infact, that's exactly what I did. I now have the Eden to go along with the Avatar 2x12. Great sound.

8. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    I was able to AB the XLT and the XST, and I fell in love with the XST. While XLTs are all over ebay, I haven't seen many 2x10 4 ohm XSTs.
    Thanks for the peace of mind with my purchase though.
    :hyper:
    GAS
    :hyper:
    GAS
    :D