1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHICH 2x12 FOR ME? AHHHH!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by songwriter21, Sep 6, 2008.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    ...I need everyone's help on which 2x12 cab to pair up with my GK 1001RB-II. I've researched beyond belief with 2x10's and 2x12's off all makes and models that you can think of from around the globe. Basically, I'm looking for fantastic mid tones (upper mids are my fave), but something relatively light as well. My current cab is an SWR Son of Bertha, but it doesn't cut enough.

So, I've narrowed it down (finally?) to these three cabs:

Avatar B212 neo (500 watts, 56 lbs.)
    Glockenklang Double Light 2x12 (500 watts, 51.5 lbs.)
    Epifani Concert Series UL2 212 (700-800 watts, 59 lbs.)

I play in a cover band, but we occassionally record and I go direct plus mic my cab with an Audix D6.

What do I choose? :help:

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I know it's not on your list but, I'm using a very old GK 800 head with a Aphex Bass Exciter pedal into a 4 ohm Eden 212XLT cab.
    Over the years I've tried the GK into many cabs and this is the "BEST" it's sounded.
    I can't say enough nice things about the Eden 212XLT.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Have you considered the GK Neo 212 cabs?

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Dr. Bass 2460 or 2460D with any one of the Neo speakers he offers.

5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    +1 on the Dr. Bass 2460.

6. Not on your list, but i'd get the Eden D212XLT cab...Known as the best 2x12 out there!

7. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 i think these cabs are underrated

8. Gallien Krueger NEO 212

9. If upper mids are your thing, eliminate the Epi212UL from your list.

The Eden212XLT would be perfect IMO, and based on reviews, the GenzNeo212 and the new GK Neo 212 would also most likely get you to where you want to be in a lightweight, loud, growly sort of vibe.

10. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Just bought an Ampeg SVR-212 and used it over the weekend. It's heavy at 80 lbs but fits in the passenger seat of my Z-3 (its compact) with the casters off.

See www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-149875.html

It has two 12 inch speakers with a horn. The horn delivers incredible clear highs without distortion. The twelves are butt to butt mounted with the horn side intended to face forward. The back facing twelve can serve as a monitor for the drummer or, as I did this weekend, placed about 10 inches from the wall to produce 'ambient' bass sound on the stage. It rocks!

There is a 15 inch model available too. It kinda vintage stuff but very durably built.

11. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I haven't tried them all but I'm quite happy with my Avatar. Can't beat the price, either.

Lots of 212 recommendations in this thread.

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I play in covers bands and used to own a UL212. I sold it recently and got a 1212L and am much happier.
    It seems to do the job and can get louder than the UL212. Its less boomy and the sound is tighter and seems to sit better in the mix. At least, thats what i and my band think.

I know its not on your list though.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm quite happy with my UL212, but I use a Walkabout head with it, and they pair nicely. You should definately try these cabs with your bass and your head, and see what's what.