which 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Aug 26, 2003.

1. i'm currently getting a new rig together, i've got a tech 21 RBI pre-amp, but i haven't decided on a power amp or cab yet.

i'm looking for a mid priced 2x12 cab, trouble is, living in the UK, i have a choice of about 0 cabs in my price range. but yesterday i noticed bassnw.com ship wordwide, so i e-mailed them asking for the prices of all their 2x12 + shipping, and i was VERY pleased with the prices i got back.

both the aguilar and the eden are $865
    the Bag End (which is actually a PA cab) is $900
    the EBS is $1125
    and the Epifani is $1225
    (all inc. shipping)

the Eden, Aguilar, and Bag End are the main contenders for me, all being just within my budget, the other 2 are WAY out of my range. so the questions i have are:

Scene as i can't actually try any of these cabs, out of the Eden, Aguilar and Bag End, which would be most suited to me? as i said, i have an RBI pre, and i like versatility (from dub to hi-fi), but it must be able to handle a lot of bass and a low B well.

As i said the EBS and Epifani are out of my range, but is there an unbelievable, totaly amazing improvement in sound that means i absolutely must save up the extra money and get one?

In their e-mail, bassnw said "You would also be responsible for any duty or taxes that your country would want to charge you at the time of delivery". has anybody here who's from the UK bought something from the US, if so, what (if any) charges are likely to be made, and how much (approx.) would they be? or, does anyone know how i can find out what charges will be made to me?

sorry for the long post.

and thanks VERY much for any help

2. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I have an Eden 212, and don't think it is the right one for what you say. At higher volumes, it tends to fart out a little on the lower notes, and I am using a 4 string with standard tuning. I don't think it would do a good job with your low B string.

Though I think the Eden sounds great at low to moderate volume levels, I am actually moving away from this cabinet for higher volume gigs, and am tempted to sell it - I actually just got a Berg HT322, which I am expecting to become my workhorse.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    A lot of guys on TB have posted positive comments about the Aguilar 2x12, so I'll throw another angle at you. I own an Eden 212XLT, and IMHO, it is one of Eden's best sounding cabs. Much more balanced and articulate than the other XLT cabs that I've heard (410XLT and 210XLT). In fact, it probably pairs up better with something like the Eden T-210XST (which is my second fave Eden cab that I have heard). It (the 212XLT) has a good deal of clarity, with a hint of growl. Definitely not as hi-fi as my Epifani cabs, but can nail that vintage sound better.

For its size, the Eden is also fairly lightweight. On the downside, I will say that the tweeter on the Eden cabs fall into the "more is less" category, whereas on my Epifani and EA cabs, I actually boost the tweets somewhat because they sound so nice and don't add hiss like Eden and some others can. But, the nice thing about the 212XLT is that it has a good deal of high-mid detail even with the tweeter off.

I'd say that either the Aggie or the Eden would do you well.

4. hmm... come to the US and buy an avatar:D
  5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    While I have no personal experience with this cab myself, I've heard many good things about the Ernie Ball Music Man 2x12's & nothing negative so far.

Might be worth looking into.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, simultaneous posts on the Eden!

I will agree with thewanderer24 in that the Eden sounds very good at up to "very loud" levels, but once you start pushing "ludicrous", it does beg for mercy. I'm talking 1,500w from my PLX 3002 (I used to use the 212XLT with a Boogie 4x10 in bridged mono mode). On the flip side, it doesn't need a ton of headroom to sound its best, like my EA cabs do.

7. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I'm talking with my WT400 head - 400Watts. Maybe the problem is it needed more headroom, but still, at the volume limits of the WT400 head (i.e., right before clipping), it didn't like the low notes too much.
  8. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Sorry, one more thing. The eden, up until the really loud volumes, IMO sounds very good all the way up the neck, and gets suprising (at least to me) punch for 12's.
  9. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Maybe there are UK dealers for cabs you want. Have you tried to contact them. I think that EBS should be cheaper than 1125$ in UK they should be more in the range 900$.
    Have you included VAT and customs taxes for the mentioned cabs? That can increase the price for at least 20% or more.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Indeed. Ace cab on par with my Eden gear for half the bling.
  11. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Hey wotnwhy ,

Does it have to be a 2x12 ?

I only ask because it seems that the only stuff that's actually cheaper in the UK than the US seems to be Ashdown stuff, but they don't do a 2x12.

The best prices that I've seen are at soundslive.co.uk who do the mini cabs, the ABM and the MAG ranges. I think that you may find shipping charges and duty will wipe out any savings that you can get on buying a cab in the US (try the FedEx webpage to get an idea of shipping charges).

I'm seriously thinking about buying a 4x8 mini cab. They seem to be getting good reviews and I know that a couple of the UK guys on here have bought them and seem to be happy with them .

B.T.w whereabouts in Wales are you ? I seem to spend all my time at the moment commuting between Dublin and West Wales (Haverfordwest). i also used to live in Cardiff.

12. Get a Glockenklang Double, awesome cab (if i ever scrape together the money I'll buy one myself)

915€ + 13€ shipping at www.musik-produktiv.de

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Glockenklang Double. Oh yes!!
  14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    there you go the glock..sounds like the best

15. the eden cab can be bought in the UK for 699, from bassnw it comes to 550 (inc. shipping) but not including charges here so that might end up more expensive

i have searched high and low for the aggie cabs in the UK and can't find any way of getting them (apart from bassnw)

i've found 1 person over hear who can get bagend cabs, but after several e-mails i still haven't had a reply on prices

Avatar and EB cabs are both options i've looked into, but, alas, no one in the UK has them, and i cant find any US stockers who ship to the UK

EBS and Epi's are available in the UK, but are still WAY out of my legue

o yeah. Glocks, i forgot about them, i can get the Glock double for 699 over here in the UK, would that be a better option?

whereabout in wales am i? um, well, haverfordwest to be exact! :D

16. zoran

May 10, 2002
    My vote goes to aguilar. I played Eden and there is problem on louder gigs to be heard.
  17. 699 pounds or € or $ ??? (if $ or €: where???)

And IMO the Glocks are the best available.

EDIT: Just checked: if it is pounds that is approx. 1010€

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Glocks. You won't regret it. They are really great. No hype.
  19. i've been thinking, and for the time being i'm gonna set my sights on the Glock. because it's in the UK there's not gonna be any problems with customs, and i'll be able to try before i buy.

thanks a lot for the help